Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Often "homeless shelters" are unsafe. Replete with murders and theft + bed bugs and roaches and drugs. The people running them do not care if the people live or die. Neither do many " conservatives ".
I would never go to a "shelter" should my husband and I become homeless as I wish to live.
And FYI I do NOT use drugs, drink or smoke.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
When I was 18 I lived out of a backpack. In the army, we live out of a duffel bag. We can only have what we can fit in the bag and carry with us. If it does not fit, or if we can not carry it on our backs, then we do not need it.

Should taxpayers pay for what people do not need? What do they need? The government seems to feel we have a poverty level and we need to live above that level to provide for our needs. Is that accurate?

The Hasidic say there is a lot we do not need. We may want to eat but if we are overweight then we do not need to eat. How much do we need to pay for a home? Musk seems to be wanting to determine that for us. He is building a small home and claims that is all he needs when he is on the job and working. Of course, he has rich friends that let him stay in their homes.

I really wonder. What do we need in life? Does a homeless person still have what they need?
Homeless people typically need help with the issues that caused them to become homeless.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
When I was 18 I lived out of a backpack. In the army, we live out of a duffel bag. We can only have what we can fit in the bag and carry with us. If it does not fit, or if we can not carry it on our backs, then we do not need it.

Should taxpayers pay for what people do not need? What do they need? The government seems to feel we have a poverty level and we need to live above that level to provide for our needs. Is that accurate?

The Hasidic say there is a lot we do not need. We may want to eat but if we are overweight then we do not need to eat. How much do we need to pay for a home? Musk seems to be wanting to determine that for us. He is building a small home and claims that is all he needs when he is on the job and working. Of course, he has rich friends that let him stay in their homes.

I really wonder. What do we need in life? Does a homeless person still have what they need?
As an aside I'm not sure it's rational to compare being a paid soldier in the army with being destitute.
Most importantly because in thr army well you have support. You have a juggernaut of an organization supporting you and almost always have a platoon od brothers who help you and help you when in need.

That's simply not the same mental space as being poor is.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Often "homeless shelters" are unsafe. Replete with murders and theft + bed bugs and roaches and drugs. The people running them do not care if the people live or die. Neither do many " conservatives ".
I would never go to a "shelter" should my husband and I become homeless as I wish to live.
I doubt they're less hygenic and less safe than homeless camps.

Upvote 0

studentinprayer

Mar 8, 2023
Westren Canada / Nashville TN
✟13,317.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In reading your thread you seem to have touched a nerve for many people with your question. I think that reflects a general ‘resentment’ in how most people feel about their own finances. I have had the privilege to have been truly poor, working poor, working in social/work homelessness for years, lived well on charity alone as well being as I am now considered wealthy.

Of all these various physical conditions there was none more comforting than wealth. It felt better to be rich on charity than that same income when working for it, granted there is was a unique vulnerability that arose and caused odd beliefs. Of the many homeless I met or observed, just as myself in poverty their mental health was the real problem, money/circumstance alone changed nothing.

In all these various physical conditions everyone said exactly as we see in this thread there is an empathy problem.

I don’t think there is an empathy problem. I think many people are resentful they are not as wealthy as they would like.
Because of this…
Many call the rich greedy, well dismissing those that do embrace charity much as I did when I lived well on charity.
Many chastise the poor despite mental health issues being an impossible thing to just lift or fix.
Many facing mental health issues which cause poverty feel trapped and embarrassed as they don’t understand why them.

To answer your question, I’d argue people need extremely little. The problem isn’t lack of wealth but happiness, purpose and joy.

That said, everyone we can allow should experience wealth; it can be a source of joy and empowerment when we let it.
So to the claims, my thinking it's all mental health leads to a harding of hearts is a deflection in my humble opinion.

We must raise the hearts of the homeless. If that means money - great. If that giving things - great.
Whatever it takes to lift a soul, but first we should look to our own soul. For what greater gift then create a lifestyle of happiness you can share from.

Take all my wealth tomorrow. Best of luck, as I’m crafty at protecting what is trusted in my care, but so be it. Joy is worth more does come from food,shelter,clothing etc. Our society is not abundant in it and that scares us and makes us love to justify ourselves in terms of wealth which we do have in abundance. That is worth celebrating as not everyone has material abundance, but if we morn it rather than use it to lift hearts it will fade and rot.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
As an aside I'm not sure it's rational to compare being a paid soldier in the army with being destitute.
98 dollars a month is not really paid. When they fixed by furnace they wanted me to pay them $500 an hour.

You missed the point which was we only had a duffle bag. Today I have so much stuff it would take a big truck to move me. The more I try to give it away it seems like the more I have. Even we are told, give and it shall be given to you. God provides abundantly above and beyond what we want or need.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
98 dollars a month is not really paid. When they fixed by furnace they wanted me to pay them $500 an hour.
Oh. So you had a furnace? So I guess that means you had a house then? So....not really homeless then?

You missed the point which was we only had a duffle bag. Today I have so much stuff it would take a big truck to move me. The more I try to give it away it seems like the more I have. Even we are told, give and it shall be given to you. God provides abundantly above and beyond what we want or need.
But I would argue that's because when we have God in our hearts, we don't have huge requirements for wealth and comfort as we don't/shouldn't value those things in the same way. I'm glad your experience with charity is robust and that you have your heart in the right place.

But again, I'm not convinced your experience in the army is a good comparison to homelessness.

I don't see too many people going out into the woods to live a much simpler life and yet you can get ALL your basic needs met in a forest assume you have the knowhow.

There are VERY few people in America who are emaciated and dying due to starvation. But there are MANY people who are hungry; many children who don't get enough food to be their best for school.

And it makes 0 sense that that happens in the richest country that has ever existed on the planet.

I don't think much of Nixon, but I saw this quote on a Wiki page:
Following the "rediscovery" of hunger in America during the late 1960s, President Richard Nixon addressed Congress saying: "That hunger and malnutrition should persist in a land such as ours is embarrassing and intolerable.... More is at stake here than the health and well-being of 16 million American citizens.... Something very like the honor of American democracy is at issue."

Now it seems, not only is it tolerable but some Republicans see no government obligation in helping those in that situation. Not many but.....any seems like too many.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I doubt they're less hygenic and less safe than homeless camps.
In large CAMPS likely, but I've worked with plenty of homeless youth and adults. NONE of them would spend any more than a couple hours in those things and only for a particular reason; they don't go there to hang out. May go there for a shower, or a hot cup of coffee maaaybe laundry but that's it. And even then they are scared to go there.

They tended to walk around town in daylight and in public as much as possible.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would think this heavily depends on the shelter. I'm sure there are plenty of poorly managed shelters, where the homeless go in and can do whatever. At the same time, from what I know of it, there are shelters that are well run that hold the homeless in the shelter accountable for their actions, do not allow drugs or alcohol in the shelter, and remove those that cause problems or refuse to follow the rules.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Oh. So you had a furnace? So I guess that means you had a house then? So....not really homeless then?
I am 71, lots of things have come and gone and I have had a lot of experiences. Did you think I was still in diapers? At my age, I hear they call them depends :) Mostly it was my son that was homeless. He had a story once when a bear tore his tent apart because he could smell food. A friend of his confirmed to me that was a true story. I can not even begin to imagine what it would be like to be homeless in Alaska. He could build himself a shelter to keep warm. Once he stole some insulation from a construction site. So I am sure that helped. My first wife talked about being homeless also. But for her it was like camping out and she liked it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
poorly managed shelters
It seems more like a fundraiser gimick than anything else. Often they use volunteers because they can get away with that. But the real problem is having to deal with homeless people. Sometimes we get indifferent when we deal with people who are suffering or having a lot of problems. It can bring out the Stolic in people.

I took my wife to a shelter once to eat lunch. They preach a little sermon that people ignore. Then they give you old stale food that will keep you alive but not the best meal you ever ate. People pay for fresh food and if it is old then it goes to the homeless. A lot of it is expired.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea what may be needed in current, unfolding psychological climate. Thankfully, the Gospel tells us who are able bodied & working what do. Primary examples are to give alms & pray ( Matthew 6:1-15) & try to stay within the framework of rendering unto God & unto Caesar ( Matthew 22:15-22 etc.) to give glory to God ( Isaiah 58:1-14). God tells us there will always be people we ( who are able to) help, in some way, must help ( Deuteronomy 15:7-11).

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From my experience homeless people do not know how to build a home. If you give them one they do not know how to take care of it. We see a lot of this in Detroit. I did remodeling and renovation. I would make a home liveable and see people move in and tear it back down again.

Different reasons this happens ... no doubt there will never be an end to it ... like a lot of things. That is not to say we are not to try and help the homeless .... like I said .... the shelter's are not wonderful places to live either .... no easy answers to a lot of things.

Upvote 0