What do Episcopalians and Anglicans believe about Mary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you believe that Mary was conceived without sin? Was she assumed into Heaven both body and soul? Is she the queen of Heaven? Do you feel that the title "Mother of God" or "Theotokos" is appropriate for her? :confused:

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I believe she is in heaven. How she got there is really between her and her Son although I do not believe her to have been assumed I admit that Tradition does point to this. I will reserve comment on the queen of heaven question, as I do not understand this designation well enough to comment. She certainly is the mother of God and I believe Theotokos is appropriate and honoring.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
Theotokus is a christological confession, that is not optional. If you don't think she carried him in the womb, you beleive something different from Christinity.
Jesus redeemed humanity by taking on all aspects of our life, including gestation. The only reason I can think of for rejecting it is simply beign reactionary to Rome, and not inquisitive enough to learn more.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Theotokus is a christological confession, that is not optional. If you don't think she carried him in the womb, you beleive something different from Christinity.
Jesus redeemed humanity by taking on all aspects of our life, including gestation. The only reason I can think of for rejecting it is simply beign reactionary to Rome, and not inquisitive enough to learn more.

I agree. She is definitely the Theotokos.

Upvote 0

Fairbairn

Transformed by the love of Christ
Aug 19, 2006
Surrey
✟15,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Do you believe that Mary was conceived without sin? Was she assumed into Heaven both body and soul? Is she the queen of Heaven? Do you feel that the title "Mother of God" or "Theotokos" is appropriate for her? :confused:

We believe that she was a young girl (when we first meet her) who was faithful and obedient to God and strong enough to become the mother of Jesus and all the trials that would bring to her life.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We believe that she was a young girl (when we first meet her) who was faithful and obedient to God and strong enough to become the mother of Jesus and all the trials that would bring to her life.

I pretty much agree with this except I believe she is also the Theotokos (God bearer).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally, I do. I would favor a more Christokos theology. But I recognize that Theotokos is the accepted "orthodox" position.

What is Christokos theology? :confused:

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christokos = Mother of Christ

Theotokos = Mother of God

Well they seem to be one and the same to me. Christ is God and therefore Mary is the Mother of God.

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

Well they seem to be one and the same to me. Christ is God and therefore Mary is the Mother of God.

Actually they have vastly different meanings as theologians have defined them.

You can be the mother of Christ without being the mother of God.

In spite of our common interpretation Christ does not equal God. Christ (or Messiah) is a savior figure in Jewish mythology. Nowhere does it state that the Messiah is Yahweh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christokos = Mother of Christ

Theotokos = Mother of God

Actually they have vastly different meanings as theologians have defined them.

You can be the mother of Christ without being the mother of God.

In spite of our common interpretation Christ does not equal God. Christ (or Messiah) is a savior figure in Jewish mythology. Nowhere does it state that the Messiah is Yahweh.

But if the Christokos theology was true then Mary was only the mother of Jesus' human nature right? That would mean that his human and divine nature were separated at one point in time right?

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
:confused: What is the alternative point of view?

What? Gabriel came, and Mary had the baby the next day?
No, it took nine months - March 25 to Dember 25th.
If you reject the title Theotokus, then are are regecting the gestation. I accept the title Theotokus. Furthur more, she was given that name in the 4th coucnil. None of us have the authority to reject this title. Rejectign it is rejecting part of the faith, and we don't want to be cafeteia Christians.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.