What do Christians believe about the atonement and the gospel?

J

jonas3

Many false religionists will say that as long as a person professes that “Jesus is Lord”, then that person is certainly a genuine Christian and a brother or sister in Christ. The only means, in their view, to distinguish between believers and unbelievers is whether or not that person professes “faith” in Jesus Christ. Is this Biblical? It certainly is not. It is written,

“3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." - 2Cor 4:3-4. (KJV)

The gospel is made up of a set of Scriptural beliefs that all true Christians profess. If they do not profess these beliefs related to the gospel, then they are said to be blinded, and the gospel is said to be hidden from them. In fact, the apostle Paul through the Holy Spirit concludes that they are lost (i.e. unregenerate). This does not mean that they cannot be saved (i.e. regenerated), but rather that they are currently not saved (i.e. regenerated). However, since every single one of God’s elect was an enemy to God (Ro 5:10) and ignorant of the gospel before regeneration, it follows that simply because someone is currently lost (i.e. unregenerate) it does not mean that they are certainly going to hell or that they certainly will never be saved, but rather that they are presently not saved (i.e. unregenerate), and unless God regenerates them they will remain dead in their sins forever. There is nothing a person can do to be saved. Furthermore, the regenerate elect know in hindsight that they were lost when they did not believe the gospel (witness the apostle Paul’s testimony of himself in Php 3:1-14). From this we can also conclude that a regenerate person (i.e. a Christian) will never say that were regenerate while believing in a false gospel, because to believe in a false gospel is not to know the true God (2Th 1:8).

Now, I want to look at one essential gospel doctrine; namely, the atonement. The atonement is the central message of the gospel of Jesus Christ, for the gospel is God’s promise to save solely His people from their sins (Mat 1:22) conditioned on the atoning blood (Heb 9:12-14) and imputed righteousness of Christ alone (Ro 4:6-8). Nothing they did merited the grace of God to be bestowed upon them (Titus 3:5), for Christ's Church stands by God's election (Ro 11:5). If a person does not have a proper understanding of the atonement, then that person is unregenerate (i.e. not saved) since they do not believe the gospel. The gospel is hidden to them, and they are lost (2Cor 4:3). The truth of the atonement (or reconciliation) is this,

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." - Jn 10:11. (KJV)

"As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep." - Jn 10:15. (KJV)

"27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." - Jn 10:27-28. (KJV)

"4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we [the elect] have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace" - Eph 1:4-7. (KJV)

"25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." - Eph 5:25-27. (KJV)

It is evident from Scripture that God has a remnant according to the election of grace (Ro 11:5), and that Christ came and died to redeem this remnant (i.e. the elect) alone. This knowledge is most definitely apart of the gospel, and those who do not believe the truth about the atonement are lost according to 2Cor 4:3-4.

Those who believe that Jesus died for everyone without exception (i.e. universal atonement) do not believe the gospel, because they do not believe that it is the work of Christ alone that makes the difference between salvation and damnation, but that it is the conditional work of the sinner to have “faith” in order to make Christ’s sacrifice effective towards him. What damnable accursed blasphemy! All of God’s regenerated elect should hate this false gospel lie with a perfect hatred. All those who profess this anti-gospel of universal atonement are lost; including all those who say that those who believe this anti-gospel are not lost (i.e. they call them brothers in Christ).

Those who refuse to come to the conclusion that ALL who believe in universal atonement are presently lost (i.e. unregenerate) do not truly believe that universal atonement is a false gospel, and if one does not truly believe that universal atonement is a false gospel, then they must believe that it is either true, or that the atonement is not apart of the gospel; therefore, this person shows themselves to be unregenerate (i.e. lost) because it proves that they do not believe in or understand the true gospel, seeing how they put no difference between a truth and a lie, and no lie is of the truth (1Jn 2:21).

“He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the LORD. – Pro 17:15. (KJV)

May God cause His unregenerate elect to repent and believe the gospel (Mk 1:15).

-jonas

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
oh my stars, if your Bible's Mark 1:15 says " May God cause His unregenerate elect to repent and believe the gospel", then you need to toss it in the garbage & get yourself an accurate translation!! Paraphrases SUCK, man! They are man's words, not God's & can really give a distorted, imprecise & empty view of one guy's version of what God's word said to him. Whatta mess!

Upvote 0
J

jonas3

reformedfan said:
oh my stars, if your Bible's Mark 1:15 says " May God cause His unregenerate elect to repent and believe the gospel", then you need to toss it in the garbage & get yourself an accurate translation!! Paraphrases SUCK, man! They are man's words, not God's & can really give a distorted, imprecise & empty view of one guy's version of what God's word said to him. Whatta mess!

God commands all men without exception to repent and believe the gospel. However, ONLY the elect WILL repent and believe the gospel. I did not say, but could simply have said, "Repent and believe the gospel" (Mk 1:15). I said rather, "MAY GOD CAUSE HIS UNREGENERATE ELECT to repent and believe the gospel". I said this because I was making a point that they are the only ones who WILL repent and believe the gospel. I did not say or imply that repenting and believing the gospel is not commanded of all men, for it is; however, God will NOT cause everyone without exception to repent and believe the gospel.

-jonas

Upvote 0

James1979

Mar 3, 2004
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Jonas3,

What do you with this verse like this then if you believe that who holds doctrine of Christ as you have rightly declared the truth just as I believe it as well, are all considered believers?

Luke 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not[himself], neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many[stripes].

Upvote 0
J

jonas3

James1979 said:
Jonas3,

What do you with this verse like this then if you believe that who holds doctrine of Christ as you have rightly declared the truth just as I believe it as well, are all considered believers?

Luke 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not[himself], neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many[stripes].

Very briefly, I will say this, and if you care to discuss it more specifically, then I am happy to do so. An unregenerate person can read the Bible, an unregenerate person can "know the way of righteousness" (2Pet 2:21), an unregenerate person can say "Jesus is Lord", an unregenerate person can believe the doctrines of grace, an unregenerate person can draw nigh unto Christ with his mouth (Mt 15:8), an unregenerate person can strive to keep God's commandments, an unregenerate person can know the Lord's will, but in the end he remains just that: unregenerate, and he shall be appointed his portion with the UNBELIEVERS (Lk 12:46).

-jonas

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
jonas3 said:
Very briefly, I will say this, and if you care to discuss it more specifically, then I am happy to do so. An unregenerate person can read the Bible, an unregenerate person can "know the way of righteousness" (2Pet 2:21), an unregenerate person can say "Jesus is Lord", an unregenerate person can believe the doctrines of grace, an unregenerate person can draw nigh unto Christ with his mouth (Mt 15:8), an unregenerate person can strive to keep God's commandments, an unregenerate person can know the Lord's will, but in the end he remains just that: unregenerate, and he shall be appointed his portion with the UNBELIEVERS (Lk 12:46).

-jonas

Which means then that a person can be thoroughly reformed,thoroughly orthodox,thoroughly biblical and thoroughly dead!

Upvote 0