Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are times, like today, where I've been really busy at work, come home, and just can't be bothered to cook. Fortunately, I have an app on my desktop and phone where I can order food from selected takeaway outlets. Quite handy during this current situation where their doors are closed to the public.

Tonight it was fish and chips from a local chippy, nicely cooked and delivered to my front door! I opted for the large battered cod and plain chips (in my local area, most chippys give you the option of having your chips fried in orange batter).

As an American, I highly doubt any place here can do fish and chips justice. So I think I specifically want to go there just to get some really good fish and chips. Also I love cod fish. So this made my mouth water just thinking about it haha

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
As an American, I highly doubt any place here can do fish and chips justice. So I think I specifically want to go there just to get some really good fish and chips. Also I love cod fish. So this made my mouth water just thinking about it haha
I grew up near the coast so it is something I always enjoyed (in moderation haha) and they had good fish and chip shops there. Where I live now it is a bit hit and miss, some of them are good, others are dreadful! It's one of those dishes that has to be cooked right otherwise everything is spoiled! We have an American restaurant just down the road from here. A nice selection of meals, but I reckon they won't be anything near as good as what you have where you live! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
What's orange batter?
Its ordinary batter with a touch of paprika added to give it an orange glow. It's one of the delicacies in my local region known as the Black Country, in the English Midlands and virtually unheard of outside the area. I heard that during wartime where certain foods were scarce, they broke the monotony by frying chips in batter with an orange coating!

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The main ones are Mcdonald's, Burger King and KFC. Burger King never fails, McDonald's does nothing BUT fail, and KFC is a complete joke.

Then there's Wimpy, Subway, and if you're really lucky, Uncle Sams - now, why we have a British fast food chain named Uncle Sams is beyond me, but their chicken burgers are second to none. I've seen a few Taco Bell's popping up, and I think we've started seeing a few Nathan's emerging as well (which for me is really weird.)

Plus, all of the usual pizza joints, but I prefer to order mind from the kebab shops. They're half the price and twice the size, and I think Dominoes and Pizza Hut are greedy. I'd rather give the independents my business.

Wow, a three paragraph post on fast food - I have issues.

KFC is good.. but you're always going to have a bad time afterwards, lol.

Never heard of Uncle Sams or Wimpy. Subway depends on the location.. some locations are good.. and some are horrid.

Upvote 0

Olmhinlu

Apr 15, 2020
Undisclosed
✟59,795.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its ordinary batter with a touch of paprika added to give it an orange glow. It's one of the delicacies in my local region known as the Black Country, in the English Midlands and virtually unheard of outside the area. I heard that during wartime where certain foods were scarce, they broke the monotony by frying chips in batter with an orange coating!

That sounds nice. Can you taste it, or is it just a visual thing?

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
That sounds nice. Can you taste it, or is it just a visual thing?
To be honest, I really don't know! I've never tried one. The bright orange really puts me off. I'd rather stick with my normal chips! But I've seen others buying them and they enjoy them - each to their own!

• Informative
Reactions: Olmhinlu
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
KFC is good.. but you're always going to have a bad time afterwards, lol.

Never heard of Uncle Sams or Wimpy. Subway depends on the location.. some locations are good.. and some are horrid.

Wimpy has been dying a very slow death for a long time now. I haven't been to a Wimpy bar since the 90's, and even then it was because everywhere else was busy.

I don't know if anyone north of Luton would even know what an Uncle Sams burger was. It's probably regional to me.

Subway is always better in the smaller towns. The Subway's in London are a bit rushed and thrown together. There used to be one right outside London Bridge station that gave me rock hard, stale bread, without fail, every single time.

Hard bread, cold cheese. Quite the achievement when you think about it.

• Informative
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Wimpy has been dying a very slow death for a long time now. I haven't been to a Wimpy bar since the 90's, and even then it was because everywhere else was busy.
I've been to two Wimpy's in the past few years. I went to a Wimpy restaurant in Peterborough and it was just how I remembered it in years gone by. There's also a Wimpy takeaway outlet not far from here, on the edge of the forest at Cannock Chase. It's the most unlikely place you'd ever expect to find one!

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I've been to two Wimpy's in the past few years. I went to a Wimpy restaurant in Peterborough and it was just how I remembered it in years gone by. There's also a Wimpy takeaway outlet not far from here, on the edge of the forest at Cannock Chase. It's the most unlikely place you'd ever expect to find one!

They're not as prolific as they used to be, the fact that they're showing up literally in forests sounds about right. Lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
They're not as prolific as they used to be, the fact that they're showing up literally in forests sounds about right. Lol.
I couldn't believe it when I first saw it - and I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't just dreaming. It's on the edge of a road in the middle of nowhere - just woodland. It's tiny as well - just a small shack. Definitely not like the restaurants I got used to seeing in our towns and city centres. But they did the usual menu and presumably did a good trade. It's a shame there are not many of them now. I remember going them when I was little - it was a weekend treat.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I couldn't believe it when I first saw it - and I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't just dreaming. It's on the edge of a road in the middle of nowhere - just woodland. It's tiny as well - just a small shack. Definitely not like the restaurants I got used to seeing in our towns and city centres. But they did the usual menu and presumably did a good trade. It's a shame there are not many of them now. I remember going them when I was little - it was a weekend treat.

I'm going to have to find this place now. I'm expecting to be served by garden gnomes or something.

Brilliant.

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are times, like today, where I've been really busy at work, come home, and just can't be bothered to cook. Fortunately, I have an app on my desktop and phone where I can order food from selected takeaway outlets. Quite handy during this current situation where their doors are closed to the public.

Tonight it was fish and chips from a local chippy, nicely cooked and delivered to my front door! I opted for the large battered cod and plain chips (in my local area, most chippys give you the option of having your chips fried in orange batter).
Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

It sounded like it was a good dinner, for what it's worth :)

Honey roasted Nuts.
One of my favorites!

I can tell you what I'll eat in a couple of way-too-long hours - tasteful lasagna, I'm dying from my seat for an hour because of this delicate smell. Time is passing wayyy too slow right now.
Oh gosh. Were you making it or was someone else making it?

I could go for a few pounds of lasagna right now.

I've got pasta and a seafood sauce on the stove right now...
Oooooof, you tease me so.

Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh my word. :bigeye: I think I'm in love....with the food you made. :satisfied: That all look so delicious!! I've never had olive bread but it looks divine. You did such a good job!!

Also...I need those cupcakes in my life. yumyumyum
Um, yes, they were delicious!

I thought about it, but decided to go with fish and rice because I already had it defrosted... I'll definitely enjoy it when I finally do get some, though.
Oh, good choice.

Showing appreciation through food... I understand this. And I am so glad that you were able to make such a wonderful meal!
But don’t leave us hanging. The cupcakes have caught my interest. Are you willing to share the recipe?:prayer:
You got it!

Best Cannoli Cupcakes Recipe - How to Make Cannoli Cupcakes

Waffles.. I was thinking of that Donkey and that one quote from that Shrek movie thing the whole time I was making them.
I mean, who doesn't do the Shrek line when making waffles?

Plant based burgers - no, seriously, I'm not joking.

I'm not a vegan. I just take the plant based option once or twice a week to switch things up.
I make the BEST plant-based burgers of all time, just saying.

Anyone who disagrees can fight me.

What did ya put into it?

Upvote 0