What did Jesus mean when he said follow least of my commands ?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟913,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the true meaning of matthew 5:19-20 ?
The entire passage:

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Keep in mind Jesus Christ of Nazareth is speaking to Old Covenant Jews. His hyperbolic language emphasizes a degree of perfection unattainable by any of them until all is fulfilled by Him through His Blood.
Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To do and keep the commandments, is to be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Jesus did say to them hearing, that their righteousness cldearly had to exceed the unrighteous breaking of the commandments, as seen in the scribes and pharisee. ( the scribes and pharisees therefore were examples of who does not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Continuing on from that testimony by Christ, we hear that the ones unjust in the least are unjust in much, but the ones faithful in the least are faithful in much, we have to be faithful in other peoples things, to be given what is our own. ( to be given the true riches by God.)

Pharisees deride the testimony of Christ, they are coveteous, they do not believe in the testimony from Christ of doing well for others, Jesus again testifies against them, how they are pretenders and only speak to impress men, but that all who are highly esteemed among men are ABOMINATION IN TGHE SIGHT OF GOD.

Again Jesus returns to what the testimony He gave was about, of the law and then the kingdom of God preached, and how no part of the law fails, as Jesus is giving the testimony to believe and trust in, the light of the law.

Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

Isaiah 51:4 Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people.

Luke 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Upvote 0

GodBeMercifulToMeASinner

Sep 21, 2022
The South
✟28,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey partner..
Read the whole chapter, everything before and after those 2 verses you mention, so it will make proper sense. Then keep reading all the way through Matthew chapter 7. I say that, because it is those commandments Christ is holding us to, the commandments from Matthew 5:21-7:27. Like many other passages in the NT, this is a teaching against hypocrite religionists, and also ‘loving God and your neighbor.‘ (Mark 12:30-31). ‘Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes & Pharisees’..the hypocrites..the imposters. The whited sepulchers..the ones who are all about outward appearance, with no love, and filthy, unrepentant hearts. They do not love their neighbors, but rather, love their religious self-righteousness.

Read Luke 18:9-14, the self-righteous hypocrite prided himself on his religious traditions/law keeping, and even had the nerve to thank God he was so much ‘better’ than the ‘sinners’ (in his own mind anyway). Exposing his disgusting religious narcissism and lack of love for his neighbor.
The one who was justified, seen as righteous in God’s eyes in that passage was the publican..not the one who prided himself on his law-keeping. Men of his occupation were looked down upon by society, which adds to the power of this parable. He would be thought of as a ‘scumbag’ in today’s society. All he could manage to do in his prayer was cry out to God for His mercy, he had a very deep conviction. That publican was the poor in spirit (Matthew 5:3), one of those who mourn i.e. repentant hearted (Matthew 5:4) meek (Matthew 5:5), and so-on. The blessed one. That’s why I say read from the beginning of the chapter to put it all together.

You aren’t going to be able to keep the whole Mosaic law haha..good luck with that, that’s what the pharisees (and so much of modern churchianity with their religious rites) pride themselves on, self-righteous, dead, vain religionism and rites. Outward appearance. Pure religion is described in James 1:27, that is what God cares about..caring for those in need, loving your neighbor out of love for God.
The law is not done away with because it serves as a means to remind us that we all fall short, help convict of sin, and keep people humble, and repentant when need be. To make us realize how lowly we are in the sight of a Holy God.

I say to read the whole chapter, through Matthew chapter 7 because those following commandments from the rest of Ch. 5 through Ch. 7 are what we are to focus on, the least of THOSE commandments is what Christ is referring to. (Matthew 5:21-Matthew 7:27) and that discourse in summary is basically all about loving God and thy neighbor and having their best interest at heart and God’s will as well. By fulfilling those commands (God’s will for us), everything else is fulfilled.

“Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.” —Matthew 7:12

Or ‘love your neighbor as yourself’.

And when we do err, the condition of that publican at the temple, that repentant condition of the heart, is what pleases God..which goes back to the beginning of Matthew Ch. 5..poor in spirit, meek/humble, those who mourn, seek righteousness, etc.

The Mosaic law is light because it shows us we are all guilty, and leads us to realize we need a Savior. The ‘least’ of the commandments we are held to is ‘love thy neighbor as yourself’..the greatest being Love God with everything you have (Mark 12:30-31) That’s all we need. That is the entirety of God’s law under the new covenant.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
falling short is to not have faith, because if we have faith, why would we fall short, but if we all do not have faith and all fall short, what purpose would anyone have, or if Jesus Christ shows how to not fall short, why would we follow or listen to the antichrist still teaching how to deny Christ has come in the flesh ?

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Romans 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Hebrews 5:5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.

Upvote 0

Soulx3

Feb 22, 2024
PNW
✟3,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

That he who takes the liberty of infringing one of the least of these commandments, will be considered one of the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. And he who will induce others to infringe them, will be considered one of the least both with regard to himself and led to the infringement. He, instead, who through his life and deeds, rather than by words, has convinced others to abide by the Law, will be great in the Kingdom of Heaven and his greatness will be increased by each of those whom he has led to obey and thus sanctify themselves.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
"To fulfill the law" means "to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be (NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo). So after Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law, he then proceeded to fulfill it six times throughout the rest of the chapter by correcting what the people had heard being taught and by teaching how to correctly obey God's law as it should be. The problem with the Pharisees was that they were not obeying God's law as they should be, which is why we need to exceed that.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the law is not of faith, but we are saved by the law of faith.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Galatians 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Jesus Christ made us free from that law, of sin and death, to not hear about law ( flesh) any more, it is Spirit now, which is FAITH, and NO LAW..

Romans 8:There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Galatians 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,416.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Very simple: the death of Jesus reconciles us to God, and trusting in His sacrifice is what positions us for righteous living. The Jewish leaders weren't doing that, so their spirits were whitewashed tombs (according to Jesus). He said "clean the inside of the cup, and the outside will become clean." It means that trusting Christ daily ("abide in Me") for expressing the God-kind of righteous behavior will make your righteousness exceed those of the unbelieving Jews.

Also, if someone teaches others to break any of the commandments, then chances are they aren't trusting Christ for fulfillment of it, but rather trying to self-justify their sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very simple: the death of Jesus reconciles us to God, and trusting in His sacrifice is what positions us for righteous living. The Jewish leaders weren't doing that, so their spirits were whitewashed tombs (according to Jesus). He said "clean the inside of the cup, and the outside will become clean." It means that trusting Christ daily ("abide in Me") for expressing the God-kind of righteous behavior will make your righteousness exceed those of the unbelieving Jews.

Also, if someone teaches others to break any of the commandments, then chances are they aren't trusting Christ for fulfillment of it, but rather trying to self-justify their sin.
Jesus is specific about His teaching, that any man who breaks a least of the commandments He has revealed, they are very wrong, and on top of that, their righteousness wont exceed the Pharisees, who do not believe in these sayings of Jesus.

Jesus also reveals the Pharisees as seeming righteous to men, but Jesus here in Matthew is speaking about HIs own teaching, and not that what the Pharisees have followed, nor what the Pharisees teach, and then Jesus is of course speaking about all He has spoken, that all has to BE FULFILLED.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Now we just need go know what is fulfilled.

Matthew 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Matthew 12:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Matthew 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

Matthew 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Matthew 21:4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,
5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.

Matthew 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
55 In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

Matthew 27:9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;

Matthew 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,416.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus is specific about His teaching, that any man who breaks a least of the commandments He has revealed, they are very wrong, and on top of that, their righteousness wont exceed the Pharisees, who do not believe in these sayings of Jesus.

Jesus also reveals the Pharisees as seeming righteous to men, but Jesus here in Matthew is speaking about HIs own teaching, and not that what the Pharisees have followed, nor what the Pharisees teach, and then Jesus is of course speaking about all He has spoken, that all has to BE FULFILLED.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Now we just need go know what is fulfilled.

Matthew 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Matthew 12:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Matthew 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

Matthew 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Matthew 21:4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,
5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.

Matthew 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
55 In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

Matthew 27:9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;

Matthew 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.
Each context says what was fulfilled in that context. It is bad hermeneutic to take one verse about the law being fulfilled and limit it to what 8 verses say was fulfilled in those contexts. You can't mix contexts and make them mean the same thing, and maintain any kind of interpretive integrity. Examine Mat. 5:18 again - it says the LAW will be fulfilled. What He taught in the gospels was a reiteration of the basic moral code given by Moses (which Jesus and the apostles in the NT refer to as "the law"). So Jesus is saying that all the law will be fulfilled. Indeed the OT prophecies about Him were fulfilled, and the levitical law was fulfilled, according to Hebrews. But in the context of Mat. 5:18, by saying "the law," He is referring to moral ethics, which He was teaching about.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
the law is not of faith, but we are saved by the law of faith.

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Galatians 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them
According to Romans 3:27, there is a law of works and a law of faith, so works of the law are of works while he said in Romans 3:31, that our faith upholds God's law, so it is of faith, and the law that our faith upholds can't be referring to the same thing as the works of the law that are not of faith in Galatians 3:10-12. In Galatians 3:10-12, Paul connected a quote from Habakkuk 2:4 that the righteous shall live b faith with a quote from Leviticus 18:5 that the one who lives by God's law will attain life by it, so the righteous who are living by faith are the same as those who are living in obedience to God's law. Moreover, in the context of Habakkuk 2, it contrast the righteous who are living by faith with those who are not living in obedience to God's law, in Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, and in 1 John 3:4-7, everyone who practices righteousness in obedience to God's law is righteous, so the righteous living by faith does not refer to a manner of living that is not in obedience to God's law. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to trust in God is by obediently trusting in His instructions, it is contradictory to think that we should trust God, but not His instructions, and to say that it is the Law of God that is untrustworthy/not of faith instead of works of the law is to deny the trustworthiness/faithfulness of God.

Jesus Christ made us free from that law, of sin and death, to not hear about law ( flesh) any more, it is Spirit now, which is FAITH, and NO LAW..

Romans 8:There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Galatians 5:23
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
In Romans 7:21-8:2, Paul delighted in obeying the Law of God and served it with his mind, but contrasted that with the law of sin, which held him captive, which was waging war against the law of his mind, and which he served with his flesh, and he contrasted the Law of the Spirit with the law of sin and death, so he equated the Law of God with the Law of the Spirit, after all the Spirit is God. Furthermore, in Romans 8:3-7, Paul contrasted those who walk in the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to the Law of God. In Galatians 5:19-23, everything listed as works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against the Law of God while all of the fruits of the Spirit are in accordance with it. There is no law against the fruits of the Spirit because they are all in accordance with the Law of God.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Each context says what was fulfilled in that context. It is bad hermeneutic to take one verse about the law being fulfilled and limit it to what 8 verses say was fulfilled in those contexts. You can't mix contexts and make them mean the same thing, and maintain any kind of interpretive integrity. Examine Mat. 5:18 again - it says the LAW will be fulfilled. What He taught in the gospels was a reiteration of the basic moral code given by Moses (which Jesus and the apostles in the NT refer to as "the law"). So Jesus is saying that all the law will be fulfilled. Indeed the OT prophecies about Him were fulfilled, and the levitical law was fulfilled, according to Hebrews. But in the context of Mat. 5:18, by saying "the law," He is referring to moral ethics, which He was teaching about.
Jesus Christ fulfilled all that we have testified, you cant add or take from it, that is why we have those scriptures, and what do we have from your words in comparison, nothing.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Romans 3:27, there is a law of works and a law of faith, so works of the law are of works while he said in Romans 3:31, that our faith upholds God's law, so it is of faith, and the law that our faith upholds can't be referring to the same thing as the works of the law that are not of faith in Galatians 3:10-12. In Galatians 3:10-12, Paul connected a quote from Habakkuk 2:4 that the righteous shall live b faith with a quote from Leviticus 18:5 that the one who lives by God's law will attain life by it, so the righteous who are living by faith are the same as those who are living in obedience to God's law. Moreover, in the context of Habakkuk 2, it contrast the righteous who are living by faith with those who are not living in obedience to God's law, in Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, and in 1 John 3:4-7, everyone who practices righteousness in obedience to God's law is righteous, so the righteous living by faith does not refer to a manner of living that is not in obedience to God's law. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to trust in God is by obediently trusting in His instructions, it is contradictory to think that we should trust God, but not His instructions, and to say that it is the Law of God that is untrustworthy/not of faith instead of works of the law is to deny the trustworthiness/faithfulness of God.

In Romans 7:21-8:2, Paul delighted in obeying the Law of God and served it with his mind, but contrasted that with the law of sin, which held him captive, which was waging war against the law of his mind, and which he served with his flesh, and he contrasted the Law of the Spirit with the law of sin and death, so he equated the Law of God with the Law of the Spirit, after all the Spirit is God. Furthermore, in Romans 8:3-7, Paul contrasted those who walk in the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to the Law of God. In Galatians 5:19-23, everything listed as works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against the Law of God while all of the fruits of the Spirit are in accordance with it. There is no law against the fruits of the Spirit because they are all in accordance with the Law of God.
Jesus Christ is faith, and the only law that Christ can be is faith.

What Jesus Christ did in the law of faith was to lay HIs life down, because any other law keeping was to keep your life, ( cursed be whosoever does not continue in the things of the law to do them)

Jesus became the curse for us, ( laying HIs life down for us) to free us from the curse of the law ( free from the law)

we are called to believe in him, doing what I just spoke about, not to continue in a curse of the same law, that would be the most nonsense possible, and heresy, blasphemy, the antichrist denying what Christ came in the flesh to do. ( to lay HIs life down for us to free us from the curse of the law of sin, being made that curse for us to free us from it)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ is faith, and the only law that Christ can be is faith.

What Jesus Christ did in the law of faith was to lay HIs life down, because any other law keeping was to keep your life, ( cursed be whosoever does not continue in the things of the law to do them)

Jesus became the curse for us, ( laying HIs life down for us) to free us from the curse of the law ( free from the law)

we are called to believe in him, doing what I just spoke about, not to continue in a curse of the same law, that would be the most nonsense possible, and heresy, blasphemy, the antichrist denying what Christ came in the flesh to do. ( to lay HIs life down for us to free us from the curse of the law of sin, being made that curse for us to free us from it)
The Mosaic Law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, which he embodied by setting a sinless example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to it, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). In other words, God's word is His instructions for how to believe in God's word made flesh, which is why the Bible repeatedly connects our belief in God with our obedience to His word, such as in Revelation 14:12, those who kept faith in Jesus are the same as those who kept God's commandments. God did not given His law as a curse to His children, but to in order to teach us how to be blessed, which is why the Bible repeatedly states that obedience to God's law is the way to be blessed while lawlessness is the way to be cursed, so being set free from the curse of the law is being set free from lawlessness so that we can be free to enjoy the blessing of the law. Jesus did not come to free us from God's law, but rather he came in fulfillment of the promise to bless us by turning us from our wickedness in transgression of it (Acts 3:25-26). In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from God's law, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus spent his ministry teaching and the way to believe in what he accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20) while returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is the way to reject everything he accomplished. Christ is the man of lawfulness while the anti-christ is described in contrast as being the man of lawlessness (2 Thessalonians 2:3), so choose which one you want to follow.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the jews in judaism have Moses, and the commandments of Moses do not help them, BECAUSE they do not BELIEVE in what Moses wrote about Jesus Christ to them, as evidenced in these verses..

John 5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Luke 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regarding the law that remains in order to follow Jesus Christ ?

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Love is the only word, we have to follow.

Where does love come from ?

LOVE is not in the jews, as Jesus Christ testified in the same place of John 5, that the jews of judaism cannot believe in Jesus Christ, BECAUSE they do NOT BELIEVE in what Moses wrote of Christ.

Jesus testifies here to all of the jews of judaism their failing, THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE THE LOVE OF GOD IN THEM...

John 5:42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

Now we know the jews fault was that they did not receive who God sent, but that they receive those who come in their own name. ( the jews of judaism prefer liars to the truth of Christ)

John 6:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Law the jews of judaism have not only has no love in them through it, it also has the jews of judaism in a trap, to receive those who come in their own name. ( BECAUSE THE LAW IS NOT OF FAITH.)

The jews of judaism sought God but not by faith, but by the works of the law, which is to stumble at faith, as faith becomes a stumbling stone to them. ( as Jesus testified, the jews did NOT BELJEVE IN WHAT MOSES WROTE OF CHRIST, AND DO NOT BELIEVE WHO COMES IN THE FATHERS NAME.)...

Romans 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

To escape the trap the jews of judaism are in, is not through following someone saying to follow the law.

The way to Christ speaks itself, without the jew speaking, we are to BELIEVE on the Father who raised up from the dead our Lord Jesus Christ, as we have access by faith into this grace of Christ, this is then the love of God shed into our hearts by the Holy Ghost given. ( by believing that Jesus Christ was delivered by the jews, for our offences, but was raised again by God, for our justification.)...

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the jews of judaism are an exalted man following man believing example, of disaster.

the jews are therefore made an example to the world of what to NEVER FOLLOW IN THEIR PATHS..

For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nothing stopped the jews speaking against Jesus, even when Jesus was on the cross the jewish chief priests cast evil at Christ.

of course nothing stops those in the law, the world can se israel doing law, eye for eye tooth for tooth, they do not follow LOVE.

the testimony of the cross is love, the law is not that testimony, on a Christian scripture forum, it is not too difficult to see which is the truth of the two, either the rising of Christ from the dead who died for our sins, so we now walk in love, or the law which is what killed us in the first place. ( nailed to the cross of Christ/redemption/forgiveness/transformation/the Spirit)

we have it taught to not be of the law as the jews, yet that wont stop the teachers try to dispute anyway.

but the word of faith is what the apostles taught, it cant be disputed, it is either believed in or not believed in, how to be saved, how to call upon the Lord in faith..

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Upvote 0