Dec 29, 2006
✟427,707.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.

Matthew 5:17-19
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked.

Mark 12:28-31
28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Matthew 22:37-40
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The Ten Commandments are arranged in two groups, the first group of four commandments deal with our relationship to God, the second group of the fifth to the tenth commandments deal with our relationship to one another. When Jesus talks about 'not that I am come to destroy the law', it is obvious that it is the Ten Commandments Jesus is talking about. So did Jesus want to do away with the Ten Commandments or did He came to fulfill that which pointed to Him as the Lamb of God, the ceremonial law of Moses. We have to understand His purpose...

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The way Paul explains it in Galatians.
Gal 3:10
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”[fn]

Gal 3:11
But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”[fn]

Gal 3:12
Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”[fn]

Gal 3:13
Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[fn]),

Gal 3:14
that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked.

28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

The Ten Commandments are arranged in two groups, the first group of four commandments deal with our relationship to God, the second group of the fifth to the tenth commandments deal with our relationship to one another. When Jesus talks about 'not that I am come to destroy the law', it is obvious that it is the Ten Commandments Jesus is talking about. So did Jesus want to do away with the Ten Commandments or did He came to fulfill that which pointed to Him as the Lamb of God, the ceremonial law of Moses. We have to understand His purpose...
That is the part where we see agreement with -
1. The Baptist Confession of Faith - sectn 19
2. The Westminster Confession of Faith Sectn 19
3. D.L. Moody's sermon on the Ten Commandments
4. R.C. Sproul's affirmation of the Ten Commandments.
5. C.H. Spurgeon's affirmation of the Ten
6. Dies Domini - John Paul II, Catholic Church affirmation of the TEN

As Spurgeon points out - the moral law of God written on the heart under the New Covenant - includes all TEN

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.”[fn]

But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”[fn]

Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”[fn]

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”[fn]),

that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
Paul condemns the idea of the Law apart from the Gospel or as a replacement for the gospel.

But Paul strongly affirms the Law of God written on heart and mind Heb 8:6-12 under the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-34
Paul even says "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
Paul says "our faith ESTABLISHES the Law" Rom 3:31 speaking of the Rom 3:19 Law of God that condemns all mankind.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

No, the "other" was not from Mosheh, it was from YHWH and it was all spoken to Mosheh as such.

Leviticus 1:1 KJV
1 And the LORD called unto Moses, and spake unto him out of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying,

Nimbers 1:1 KJV
1 And the LORD spake unto Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of the congregation, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt, saying,

And on, and on, and on, hundreds of times over.

There is no so-called "ceremonial law" and even if there was it would not be Mosheh's "ceremonial law".

The Master refers the hearer and reader to this so-called ceremonial law in the following passage:

Mark 9:43-49 KJV
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [Isa 66:24]
45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [Isa 66:24]
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. [Isa 66:24]
49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt. [Lev 2:13]

Leviticus 2:13 is the only place in the Torah where the command to salt every sacrifice is given.

Leviticus 2:13 KJV
13 And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

Mark 9:49 KJV
49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt. [Lev 2:13]

That does not sound to me like it will ever be done away with because it does not mean what most people think, according to the Testimony of the Master in Mark 9, and we know that he says that the heavens and the earth shall pass away, but his words shall not pass away, (Mat 24:35, Mrk 13:31, Luk 21:33).

Moreover the Mark 9:43-49 passage not only quotes from Lev 2:13, but also from Isa 66:24, to expound and explain the meaning of the Isaiah 66:22-24 passage. Therefore, once one understands the teaching of the Master in this regard, if he or she then still desires to enter into the new heavens and the new earth foretold in that passage, (Isa 66:22-24), then it is long past time to begin plucking, chopping, cutting off limbs, and salting those sacrifices according to the commandment of the Master in Mark 9 and the commandment in Leviticus 2:13 to salt every sacrifice. Those therefore who believe the sacrifices are the innocent living souls and clean animals of the creation of Elohim do not understand and are still following the Pharisee way of seeing those things as outward, carnal, natural, and physical in meaning. Cutting off sin from your members and mortifying the deeds of the body and your members upon the earth is not "ceremonial law".

The Master makes no distinction concerning a set of "ceremonial laws" in those passages, and in fact, Mat 22:40, (which you quoted), straightly says "On these two commandments hang all the Torah and the Prophets."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, the "other" was not from Mosheh, it was from YHWH and it was all spoken to Mosheh as such.

Leviticus 1:1 KJV
1 And the LORD called unto Moses, and spake unto him out of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying,

Nimbers 1:1 KJV
1 And the LORD spake unto Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of the congregation, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt, saying,

And on, and on, and on, hundreds of times over.
True.

As the NT also affirms "All scripture is given by inspiration from God and is to be used for doctrine and correction" 2 Tim 3:16
There is no so-called "ceremonial law"
There are divisions in the Law.

1. The Ten were kept apart from all of scripture - they were in the Ark of the Covenant.
2. 1 Cor 7:19 Paul contrasts the ceremonial law with the moral law of God (Commandments of God) saying this "circumcision does not matter but what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7.
3. Eph 6:2 Paul says "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise". And that is only true inside the distinct unit of Ten in Exodus 20.

Clearly - divisions/distinctions exist according to scripture

Speaking of the end of animal sacrifice and offerings we see this in Heb 10

4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,
“You have not desired sacrifice and offering,
But You have prepared a body for Me;
6 You have not taken pleasure in whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(It is written of Me in the scroll of the book)
To do Your will, O God.’”

8 After saying above, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not desired, nor have You taken pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the Law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second. 10 By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

It does not say He took away the moral law of God with its command "do not take God's Name in Vain" Ex 20:7 and the command "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5.

Rather what is taken away is the ceremonial law of animal sacrifice and offerings.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all we need to get something straight. The "other one" came from God Also. God commissioned Moses to write what God dictated to Him. It was never Moses' words. Now we need to discuss your assertion that God is unchanging and His Law to Israel was unchanging too. God has shown He does change His mind A god example is When Moses was about to leave the mountain after receiving the tables of stone and God saw the people in rebellion making a golden calf they were about to worship. God, in His wrath, was about to destroy all of them and Moses intervened.

Ex32:14 And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

The covenant with all its commands was a conditional covenant. In Ex 19:5-6 God tells Moses "IF" 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.

So, what happened? They didn't obey the covenant and finally The Father sent the Son to this wicked Earth to redeem lost man. He left them with a new and better covenant not like the old one. The New Testament is full of scripture that attests to the fact that man is not under the old covenant commands. Actually, I am not saying that God changed His mind because this was the plan before the foundation of the Earth.

I have to ask you this question: if not one jot or tittle shall pass from the Law (Torah) then why are you not adhering to all of the commands? Who gave you permission to eliminate most of the Law?
Clear as mud my friend. What makes you believe it is "clear"? Paul certainly believed Jesus fulfilled ALL the Law when he wrote Eph2:10-15, 2Cor3:6-11 and the complete chapter of Gal3.
And where did Jesus quote those two commands from? Yes, the part of the Law you just indicated was fulfilled. Your church quotes scripture from the Book of the Law On tithing and food laws. Your theory doesn't jive with your contention that what God dictated to Moses was done away.
Who was "him" in verse 37? He was a jew who was under the old covenant laws ( Torah). The New and better covenant had yet to take the place of the old one. Had They been under the laws of the New and better covenant Jesus would have answered something like this: 19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.
Jesus new commands to us deal with agape Love. The commands in the 10 dealt with duty to God and man. There is no indication that the Israelites had to Love each other.

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In Deuteronomy 5:31-33, Moses wrote down everything that God commanded him without departed from it, so all of the Law of Moses was given by God and all of God's laws have the same moral authority regardless of whether God spoke them directly to the Israelites or told Moses to write them down. The Bible never lists which laws are part of the ceremonial law and never even refers to that as being a category of law. The phrase "Law and the Prophets" straightforwardly refers to everything in the Law and the Prophets, not to just the Ten Commandments, and everything that God commanded in the Mosaic Law is an example of how to obey the greatest two commandments, which is why Jesus said that those are the greatest two commandments and that all of the other commandments hang on them. For example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit thing like idolatry, adultery, theft, and murder, but we also won't commit things like rape, kidnapping, and favoritism in accordance with the rest of the Mosaic Law.

All of the Mosaic Law based on His holy nature, which is why the Bible frequently uses the same terms to describe aspects of the nature of the Mosaic Law as it does to describe aspects of the nature of God, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the Mosaic Law (Matthew 23:23). For instance, in 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to do that, such as with keeping God's Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3) and with refraining from eating unclean animals (Leviticus 11:44-45), so of which you may have arbitrarily decided are ceremonial laws.

We have a vertical relationship with our parents because they are our creators that is not like the horizontal relationships that we have with our neighbors, so it would be better to place the 5th Commandment in the first group, especially because the five principles of the first five Commandments parallel the principles of the last five Commandments, but are expressed differently when in regard to vertical or horizontal relationships. For example, the 2nd Commandment against idolatry is to our vertical relationship with our Creator what the 7th Commandments against adultery is to our horizontal relationships with our neighbors. Moreover, the rest of the Mosaic Law expounds upon these five principles.

From the NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo:
"to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment"

So after Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-20 that he came to fulfill the law, he then immediately proceeded to fulfill it six times throughout the rest of the chapter by teaching how to correctly obey it as it should be. Likewise, according to Galatians 5:14, loving our neighbor fulfills the entire law, which again refers to correctly obeying it as it should be, not to something unique that Jesus did on the cross. Jesus did not even mention his death once anywhere in Matthew 5. In Galatians 6:2, bearing one another's burdens fulfills the Law of Christ, which again refers to correctly obeying it as it should be and is something that anyone can do. Moreover, there is much discussion in other Jewish writings about how to fulfill the law in the sense of how to correctly obey it.

As followers of Christ, we should live in a way that points towards him by continuing to obey the Mosaic Law in accordance with the example that he set for us to follow rather than a way that points away from him by refusing to follow his example.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
1. The Ten were kept apart from all of scripture - they were in the Ark of the Covenant.

So the inside of the ark was more holy than the outside? The Most High spoke from the cloud, (of incense), from between the Krubim upon-above the lid. Perhaps the distinction you are making may not be what the circumstances truly mean.

2. 1 Cor 7:19 Paul contrasts the ceremonial law with the moral law of God (Commandments of God) saying this "circumcision does not matter but what matters is keeping the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7.

Rightly divide: that circumcision is outward and physical, according to the old-man natural minded Pharisaic way, not according to the supernal and inward circumcision of the heart which remains a requirement. No doubt for the same reasons Paul also says that Meshiah has become the (new) Minister of the Circumcision, (Rom 15:8), and also says, For we are the Circumcision....having no confidence in the flesh, (Phil 3:3).

3. Eph 6:2 Paul says "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise". And that is only true inside the distinct unit of Ten in Exodus 20.

However the Ten are more fully expounded in Exodus 34 which includes the three feasts in a year wherein all Yisrael is to go up to the place where the Father placed His name in honor of our Father and our Mother, (that is, our mother covenant, Yerushalem of above, Gal 4:22-27, Heb 12:22-24).

Speaking of the end of animal sacrifice and offerings we see this in Heb 10

4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,
“You have not desired sacrifice and offering,
But You have prepared a body for Me;
6 You have not taken pleasure in whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(It is written of Me in the scroll of the book)
To do Your will, O God.’”

8 After saying above, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not desired, nor have You taken pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the Law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second. 10 By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

That also speaks of the Pharisaic natural minded, outward, physical understanding of the Torah, which is indeed done away with, and my first post above herein proves that to be the case for anyone willing to believe the Testimony of the Meshiah our Master and Teacher.

Rather what is taken away is the ceremonial law of animal sacrifice and offerings.

It has already been shown in my previous reply that your opinion is in opposition to what the Master himself teaches in Mark 9:43-50, for he applies Lev 2:13 in a completely supernal way, while you apply it to animal sacrifices which you then find a need to abolish.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God, so obedience to God is part of the way to receive the Spirit, however, Galatians 3:1-2 denies that "works of the law" are part of the way to receive the Spirit, therefore that phrase does not refer to obedience to the Law of God. In Romans 3:27-31, Paul contrasted a law of works with a law of faith, so works of the law are of works while he said that our faith upholds the Law of God, so it is of faith, and a law that our faith upholds can't be referring to the same thing as the works of the law that are not of faith in Galatians 3:10-12.

According to Deuteronomy 27-28, relying on the Law of God is the way to be blessed while lawlessness is the way to be cursed, so Galatians 3:10 should not be interpreted as Paul quoting from that passage in order to support a point that is arguing against the truth of that passage by saying that relying on it is actually the way to be cursed while not relying on it is the way to avoid being cursed. Rather, not relying on the Law of God is the way to be cursed, so people come under that curse by relying on works of the law instead.

In those verses, Paul connected a quote from Habakkuk 2:4 saying that the righteous shall live by faith with a quote from Leviticus 18:5 that the one who obeys the Law of God will live by it, so the righteous who are living by faith are the same as those who are living in obedience to the Law of God. In the context of Habakkuk 2, it is not contrasting the righteous living by faith with those who are living in obedience to the Law of God, but rather it is contrasting the righteous living by faith with those who are not in obedience to God. Moreover, in Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is the Law of God, and in 1 John 3:4-7, everyone who does what is righteous in obedience to the Law of God is righteous, so the righteous living by faith does not refer to an alternate way of living that is not in obedience to the Law of God.

God is trustworthy, therefore His instructions are also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to trust God is by obediently trusting in His instructions, it is contradictory for someone to think that we should trust God, but not His instructions, and for someone to interpret Galatians 3:10-12 as saying that the Law of God is not of faith is for them to deny the faithfulness/trustworthiness of God.

Again, in Deuteronomy 27-28, it describes the blessing of relying on the Law of God and the curse of lawlessness, so being set free from the curse of the law is being set free from the curse of not relying on it so that we can be free to rely on it. In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from God's law, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Law of God is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20).

In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him, and in Psalms 119:1-3, the Law of God is how the children of Abraham knew how to be blessed by walking in God's way, so the way that the children of Abraham are multiplied and bring the blessing of Abraham to the Gentiles in accordance with inheriting the promise through faith is turning Gentiles from their wickedness and teaching them to do the same works as Abraham by walking in God's way in obedience to the Law of God in accordance with spreading the Gospel that was made known in advance to him (Galatians 3:8).

Christ walked in obedience to the Law of God, and in 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, so again the blessing of Abraham coming upon the Gentiles in Christ is coming upon Gentiles who are walking in obedience to the Law of God in accordance with Christ's example. Moreover, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Law of God (Ezekiel 36:26-27) and Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the Law of God (Matthew 23:23).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Because Jesus was the only one who could keep the law. But since I can't walk the Law fully I praise God for the blood of Jesus.
In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that the Law of God is not too difficult for us to keep and that keeping it brings life and a blessing while not keeping it brings death and a curse, so choose life! So it was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as something that no one but Jesus can keep, moreover, Romans 10:5-8 references Deuteronomy 30:11-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim, which is the word of faith you just denied. In 1 John 5:3, to love God is to keep his commandments, which are not burdensome, so you are also denying that anyone but Jesus has ever loved God and that denying that His commandments not burdensome. Furthermore, there are many examples in the Bible of people who did keep the Law of God, such as in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, Revelation 14:12, and Revelation 22:14.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Law of God is not too difficult for us to keep and that keeping it brings life and a blessing while not keeping it brings death and a curse, so choose life!
I have chosen life through Jesus. For humans, I know it's hard to keep the law through our thoughts and actions. Because:
Rom 3:10
As it is written:
“There is none righteous, no, not one;

Rom 3:11
There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.

Rom 3:12
They have all turned aside;
They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one.”
[fn]

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

The Bible usually explains itself. Paul, the "Pharisee of Pharisees", one of the very elite, explains exactly what the law is for. Galatians is a good start. And the writer to the Hebrews also explains the purpose of the Law.

The passage that settled the issue for me is 1 Timothy 1:8-10: "Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. We realize that law is not enacted for the righteous, but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for killers of father or mother, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave traders and liars and perjurers, and for anyone else who is averse to sound teaching that agrees with the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."

The word "gospel" means good news. There is no good news in the Law. It's all about what man must do to please God. The gospel is all about what Jesus has done for fallen humanity who cannot please God.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such... unchanging
I see what you are trying to do here. God's nature is unchanging, thats true. However, its not true that the law was based on God's nature.

The law was given temporarily since Moses to Jesus, to prepare Israel for Christ. Its not some kind of eternal, unchanging code for everybody everywhere.

"For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John."
Mt 11:13

"Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law...
So the law was our guardian until Christ came...
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."

Gal 3:23-25

"But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way
of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code."

R 7:6

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that the Law of God is not too difficult for us to keep and that keeping it brings life and a blessing while not keeping it brings death and a curse, so choose life! So it was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as something that no one but Jesus can keep, moreover, Romans 10:5-8 references Deuteronomy 30:11-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim, which is the word of faith you just denied. In 1 John 5:3, to love God is to keep his commandments, which are not burdensome, so you are also denying that anyone but Jesus has ever loved God and that denying that His commandments not burdensome. Furthermore, there are many examples in the Bible of people who did keep the Law of God, such as in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, Revelation 14:12, and Revelation 22:14.
The problem is not man's ability but his willingness. The Law simply exposes the sinful nature. You conveniently ignore the parts of the Bible that contradict your arguments. My Bible says that there is none righteous, I guess you missed that bit. My Bible says that even one failure to keep the Law is to break all the commandments. The elite, King David, was a murdering adulterer. He loved God's law, yet it did not stop him sinning with Bathsheba. We need a righteousness that exceeds anything that any man has ever exhibited. That is only found in Christ.
1 Timothy 1:8-11
"Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. We realize that law is not enacted for the righteous, but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for killers of father or mother, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave traders and liars and perjurers, and for anyone else who is averse to sound teaching that agrees with the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I have chosen life through Jesus. For humans, I know it's hard to keep the law through our thoughts and actions. Because:
Rom 3:10
As it is written:
“There is none righteous, no, not one;

Rom 3:11
There is none who understands;
There is none who seeks after God.

Rom 3:12
They have all turned aside;
They have together become unprofitable;
There is none who does good, no, not one.”
[fn]
There are many examples of people in the Bible who are described as righteous, such as in Genesis 6:8-9 and Luke 1:5-6, so it is not the case that there is no one who is righteous, but rather Romans 3:10-12 is referencing Psalms 14:1-3, which says that there is no one who is righteous among those who say that there is no God. Christ lived in obedience to the Law of God, so that is also the way that we live when he is living in us.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
In Deuteronomy 5:31-33, Moses wrote down everything that God commanded him without departed from it, so all of the Law of Moses was given by God and all of God's laws have the same moral authority regardless of whether God spoke them directly to the Israelites or told Moses to write them down. The Bible never lists which laws are part of the ceremonial law and never even refers to that as being a category of law. The phrase "Law and the Prophets" straightforwardly refers to everything in the Law and the Prophets, not to just the Ten Commandments, and everything that God commanded in the Mosaic Law is an example of how to obey the greatest two commandments, which is why Jesus said that those are the greatest two commandments and that all of the other commandments hang on them. For example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit thing like idolatry, adultery, theft, and murder, but we also won't commit things like rape, kidnapping, and favoritism in accordance with the rest of the Mosaic Law.

All of the Mosaic Law based on His holy nature, which is why the Bible frequently uses the same terms to describe aspects of the nature of the Mosaic Law as it does to describe aspects of the nature of God, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the Mosaic Law (Matthew 23:23). For instance, in 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to do that, such as with keeping God's Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3) and with refraining from eating unclean animals (Leviticus 11:44-45), so of which you may have arbitrarily decided are ceremonial laws.

We have a vertical relationship with our parents because they are our creators that is not like the horizontal relationships that we have with our neighbors, so it would be better to place the 5th Commandment in the first group, especially because the five principles of the first five Commandments parallel the principles of the last five Commandments, but are expressed differently when in regard to vertical or horizontal relationships. For example, the 2nd Commandment against idolatry is to our vertical relationship with our Creator what the 7th Commandments against adultery is to our horizontal relationships with our neighbors. Moreover, the rest of the Mosaic Law expounds upon these five principles.

From the NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo:
"to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment"

So after Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-20 that he came to fulfill the law, he then immediately proceeded to fulfill it six times throughout the rest of the chapter by teaching how to correctly obey it as it should be. Likewise, according to Galatians 5:14, loving our neighbor fulfills the entire law, which again refers to correctly obeying it as it should be, not to something unique that Jesus did on the cross. Jesus did not even mention his death once anywhere in Matthew 5. In Galatians 6:2, bearing one another's burdens fulfills the Law of Christ, which again refers to correctly obeying it as it should be and is something that anyone can do. Moreover, there is much discussion in other Jewish writings about how to fulfill the law in the sense of how to correctly obey it.

As followers of Christ, we should live in a way that points towards him by continuing to obey the Mosaic Law in accordance with the example that he set for us to follow rather than a way that points away from him by refusing to follow his example.
Good luck with that. There is no temple so you cannot sacrifice an animal for your sins. Do you burn your house down if you get a contagious illness? That's the Law. There is no separate priesthood. All believers are priests. By the way, the law was for Israel, not for the Gentiles.

I'm glad that I'm dead to the Law and I live by mercy, grace and truth now. Jesus is my life. He lives in me to enable me to God's will, not be enslaved to a set of rules made for a particular race of people. Many of those commandments are not possible to obey even if you wanted to. No court is going to acquit you of arson if you burn your house down when you get the flu.

I've said this before. I will say it again. If we could keep the law then Jesus died for nothing.

"Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. We realize that law is not enacted for the righteous, but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for killers of father or mother, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave traders and liars and perjurers, and for anyone else who is averse to sound teaching that agrees with the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."

Acts 15:9-11
…He made no distinction between us and them, for He cleansed their hearts by faith. Now then, why do you test God by placing on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? On the contrary, we believe it is through the grace of the Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”…

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The word "gospel" means good news. There is no good news in the Law. It's all about what man must do to please God. The gospel is all about what Jesus has done for fallen humanity who cannot please God.

Yes, there is, choose the Life:

Deuteronomy 30:11-19 KJV
11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? [Rom 10:6]
13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? [Rom 10:7]
14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it. [Rom 10:8]
15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;
16 In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
17 But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them;
18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.
19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

To choose the incorrect physical and outward natural-minded understanding is to choose death. To choose the correct understanding according to the Testimony of the Meshiah is to choose the Life, and the Good News, which both the Meshiah and his apostles (including Paul) preach.

If the word is very near to you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may perform it, (Dt 30:14, Rom 10:8), then you need nothing else in order to walk pleasing to the Father in His Torah-Word. You do not need literal-physical animals to slaughter because you can offer your body as a living sacrifice even according to Paul, (Rom 12:1), and moreover your body-temple is the temple of the Holy Spirit of Elohim, and is no more your own body when you come to Meshiah who has purchased you with his own blood, (1 Cor 3:16, 1 Cor 6:19-20). You do not need a man-made altar because your heart is an altar of adamah, (adamah is the soil of the heart in the parable of the sower). You do not need literal-physical vessels of gold for blood because your soul is in your blood and the Most High has given you blood upon your altar (of the heart) to make atonement for your soul, (Lev 17:11), and so on and so on.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The problem is not man's ability but his willingness. The Law simply exposes the sinful nature.
Many people are willing and able to keep God's law, such as those in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6. Revelation 14:12, and Revelation 22:14. Sin is what is contrary to God's character, such as with righteousness being in accordance with His character while unrighteousness is sin, so God's law can't just expose unrighteousness without also leading us to do what is righteous.

You conveniently ignore the parts of the Bible that contradict your arguments.
I did not ignore parts of the Bible, but rather I just do not interpret parts of the Bible as contradicting the verses that I used to support my arguments.

My Bible says that there is none righteous, I guess you missed that bit. My Bible says that even one failure to keep the Law is to break all the commandments. The elite, King David, was a murdering adulterer. He loved God's law, yet it did not stop him sinning with Bathsheba.
Again, the Bible describes many people as being righteous, such as in Genesis 6:8-9 and Luke 1:5-6, so it is not the case that no one is righteous, but rather Romans 3:10 is referencing Psalms 14:1-3, which says that no one is righteous among those who say that there is no God. While all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God, all can repent and return to obedience to it through faith, so that doesn't mean that we are not righteous.

We need a righteousness that exceeds anything that any man has ever exhibited. That is only found in Christ.
In Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, in 1 John 3:4-7, everyone who practices righteousness in obedience to it is righteous even as they are righteous, and there is nothing indicating that these verses are speaking about a category of people of which no one is a member. To be righteous means to be someone who practices righteousness in obedience to God's law just as to be courageous means to be someone who practice courageousness, and so forth for other character traits. Jesus is the embodiment of God's word, so us embodying God's word through following his example is the righteousness that is found in Him, which is why 1 John 2:6 says that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked.

To use an analogy, instructions for how to build a computer are not made for the experts who have made hundreds of computers and are acting in accordance with them, but rather they are made for those who don't know how to build a computer. In 1 Timothys 1:8-11, it says that God's law is good if it is used properly, so those verses shouldn't be interpreted as saying that God's law is not good to obey. It is absurd for someone to interpret those verses as saying that doing what is righteous is only for the unrighteous and not for the righteous. Those who try to abuse those verses to justify their freedom to not do what is righteous in obedience to God's law thereby become an unrighteous person that God's law is for.

Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0