What did ancient Israelite/Hebrew art look like?

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
What did ancient (pre-exilic) Israelite/Hebrew art look like?

We can discern many visual motifs from Scripture, but how did they actually look ?

As reference point, did it for instance lean more toward the Assyrian/Babylonian style, or the Arabic/Islamic style (or something else) ?

Further, one might ask the same questions, but for architecture, music, and whatever you feel like adding or specifying.

Last edited:

Onieu

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,209.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I definitely think a good idea to reconstruct Hebrew art would be to look at the other Semitic cultures. Such as you mentioned Arabic and Syrian. But another suggestion as well, is the ethiopian/geez culture. They claim to have the ark of the covenant for instance and they display replicas of it in all their churches. These semitic groups were very successful i think of not letting roman culture corrupt their culture.

Other things might be to look into some ancient jewish structures still preserved. For instance, Cairo Genizah is a more than 1000 year old jewish synagogue. Another suggestion is looking at the ruins of Qumran, that the Essenes lived in. There is a reconstruction of their ruins based on the ruins that survive and it gives a fairly confident idea of at least one strand of jewish architecture.

as for jewish art as in painting, etc, i think their art was confined primarily to buildings. like the muslims many jews felt probably making art was in violation of the ten commandments.

as to arabic and babylonian, i think arabian is much closer to the authentic jewish strain than babylonian. i mean babylonian was so corrupted by the pagan culture that they even discarded entirely the hebrew alphabet and replaced it with the sumerian alphabet. so many other issues. There is much evidence that the semitic peoples who moved to the akkadian empire compromised on their own culture and incorporated large portions of babylonian culture into theirs whereas the babylonian culture incorporated very little of the semitic culture.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Yeah I know. But a close investigation reveals few, very few, of those are pre-exilic.
They're mostly reconstructions based on description, rather than actual ruins, remains, or artifacts; they show up in google search because they're found in articles that basically ask the same question as I'm asking.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and these you linked me to are mainly reconstructions based on words.

I'm hoping for links to trusted sites rather than generic search terms. Thanks for the reply though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Let's make a list of confirmed pre-exilic Israelite remains or artifacts or other cultural elements. I'll start us off with a few off the top of my head examples:

- The Western Wall
- Bar Kokba coins
- the LMLK artifacts
- "Solomon's stables"

Please post pictures!
(they're totally worth a thousand words, if not more.)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Let's make a list of confirmed pre-exilic Israelite remains or artifacts or other cultural elements. I'll start us off with a few off the top of my head examples:

- The Western Wall
- Bar Kokba coins
- the LMLK artifacts
- "Solomon's stables"

Please post pictures!

There was an older discussion from last year on the issue which may be interesting to you - on the concept of the Star of David

That said, there's also the issue of the synagouges from Babylon and Samaritan culture.

Upvote 0

sevengreenbeans

Remember Yosef
Oct 4, 2012
New Mexico
✟16,597.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
This inquiry closely intersects with the visualization of the temple, a subject often cast in the mould of the Greco-Roman, and less frequently, Babylonic/Assyric architectural style.
It has to do with identity, you could say.

It is thought-provoking, that's for sure. Why would Herod's architectural style be the standard? Why is the Temple Institute planning to reproduce and hang Queen Helena's lamp in the doorway? I don't get it.

I believe a lot is said with architectural style...it often tells the story of who the builders are.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is thought-provoking, that's for sure. Why would Herod's architectural style be the standard? Why is the Temple Institute planning to reproduce and hang Queen Helena's lamp in the doorway? I don't get it.

I believe a lot is said with architectural style...it often tells the story of who the builders are.

Great points.

"I believe a lot is said with architectural style...it often tells the story of who the builders are"

I couldn't have said it better :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63034025 said:
There was an older discussion from last year on the issue which may be interesting to you - on the concept of the Star of David

That said, there's also the issue of the synagouges from Babylon and Samaritan culture.

Thanks for the link (and for the others you sent as well) ;)

I'll have to add some of these to my list I think.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

- The Western Wall
- Bar Kokba coins
- the LMLK artifacts
- "Solomon's stables"

Please post pictures!

Items/Links:

- The Western Wall
- Bar Kokba coins
- the LMLK artifacts
- "Solomon's stables"

ART AMONG THE ANCIENT HEBREWS - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Hebrew Art

http://www.christianforums.com/t7666436-18/#post61608386

http://www.christianforums.com/t7613104-2/#post59195353

Archaeologists in Israel Find a 1,500 Year Old Samaritan Synagogue

http://www.biblesearchers.com/hebrewchurch/synagogue/seal_files/image014.jpg

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/common/uploads/images/articles/ancient-art.jpg

Jewish Art in the Ancient World - My Jewish Learning

Ancient Hebrew Art? - Ask.com (interesting answer)

Ancient Jewish art | jewish-art

The Ancient Hebrew Culture (includes mostly broad but generally or potentially helpful notes on Hebrew culture that don't explicitly relate to art; however they relate to the Hebrew mindset, of which Hebrew art would be merely an expression, and thus notes like these may perhaps explain, or enlighten our understanding of, Hebrew art.)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Items/Links:

- The Western Wall
- Bar Kokba coins
- the LMLK artifacts
- "Solomon's stables"

ART AMONG THE ANCIENT HEBREWS - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Hebrew Art

http://www.christianforums.com/t7666436-18/#post61608386

http://www.christianforums.com/t7613104-2/#post59195353

Archaeologists in Israel Find a 1,500 Year Old Samaritan Synagogue

http://www.biblesearchers.com/hebrewchurch/synagogue/seal_files/image014.jpg

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/common/uploads/images/articles/ancient-art.jpg

Jewish Art in the Ancient World - My Jewish Learning

Ancient Hebrew Art? - Ask.com (interesting answer)

Ancient Jewish art | jewish-art

The Ancient Hebrew Culture (includes mostly broad but generally or potentially helpful notes on Hebrew culture that don't explicitly relate to art; however they relate to the Hebrew mindset, of which Hebrew art would be merely an expression, and thus notes like these may perhaps explain, or enlighten our understanding of, Hebrew art.)
:clap:

Awesome resources - and many thanks for sharing them...

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I really like this one myself:

ancient-art.jpg

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
In trying to distinguish something distinct about Hebrew art and visual expression, one notes quickly the use of the square panels with (in some sense) independent motifs. Clearly there is a coherent composition to these panels nevertheless.

See here:

image004.jpg

and here:

image002.jpg

It may not, in essence, be a unique visual expression or format, but it is nevertheless a distinct one. Somehow, I intimate that it ties into an aesthetic, which when applied to clothing, might be called the "coat of many colors"-aesthetic. We know that the Levites wore unicolor white clothes with unicolor sashes (of such colors as red, blue, purple, I've been told) but other Israelites may, as Joseph, have worn colorful / multicolored clothing (though each individual garment would be of a single fabric). In my mind, this "multicoloredness" easily translates into visual art, or can be said to find its equivalent in a certain kind of visual art, which may contain what we might call collages, panels and so on as seen above.
(One interesting additional note about clothing in the ancient Hebrew world is that it appears the wedding dress of the female, and to a lesser extent the wedding attire of the male, would have been among the most multicolored of all clothing, in contrast to our tradition.)

We note that the smaller panels may contain as little as one or two colors, and as simple motifs as a human head or an animal within a circle (within the panel), whereas the larger panels may contain many colors and motifs. Though there is spatial depth, it is certainly not a big concern, and it generally clashes with the "panel format" itself, thus realistic depth is not always (even) attempted (things may be placed above each other to indicate space).

Symbolism (Scripturally but also culturally derivate) seems to be the predominant factor in choice of motifs. This of course doesn't preclude religious symbols being used simply "because they're religious", instead of for their specific or original meaning, as is often the case in religious-symbolic art.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I really like this one myself:

ancient-art.jpg
Extraordinary...

What specific era did this come from and where did you locate it so I could read more on it? :) For some reasons, designs seem even more beautiful when they're in a circle or plate format - and the symbolism present is striking. One must wonder why others felt so passionate for sharing some of those things in art format.....

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63602588 said:
Extraordinary...

What specific era did this come from and where did you locate it so I could read more on it? :) For some reasons, designs seem even more beautiful when they're in a circle or plate format - and the symbolism present is striking. One must wonder why others felt so passionate for sharing some of those things in art format.....

Shalom bro

Found it here: Jewish Art in the Ancient World - My Jewish Learning

Doesn't contain much info on that specific piece I'm afraid . . .

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Gxg (G²);63602588 said:
Extraordinary...

There is either a better picture on the following link, or it was a common motif in the 4th-5th century AD.

Civilization.ca - Ancient Treasures and the Dead Sea Scrolls

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0