What denominations does CF belong to?

What tradition do you belong to?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
onetruechurch4, Welcome to CF!!

I firmly believe that the house churches in the Book of Acts were the churches that Jesus Christ wanted His disciples to establish.

Modern-day churches pale in comparison to the house churches in the Book of Acts.

That being said....although I am not affiliated with Newsong Church (Santa Ana, California) in any way, I think that Newsong Church has the right focus - serving the local community/impacting the local community through love.

My personal church journey

I was raised in Presbyterian churches (Korean Presbyterian churches).

(The Presbyterian Church is the largest Protestant Christian denomination in South Korea).

I attended a Korean Baptist church for a couple of years when I was a high school student.

After I graduated from university, I taught English in South Korea for 9 years.

While I was living in South Korea, I attended the Presbyterian church where my mother and father had their wedding ceremony.

Then I attended a Reformed church (in South Korea) that is closely tied to the Canadian Reformed Churches.

Although I loved the doctrine and theology of the Canadian Reformed Churches (especially the Heidelberg Catechism), the Reformed church that I attended would not allow me to participate in Communion because I was not an "official member" of the Reformed church.

I left the Reformed church that I had been attending (I was very sad when I left the Reformed church).

During the final 4 years that I lived in South Korea, I made the mistake of becoming a member of a cult-like church that is an ultra-conservative offshoot of the Presbyterian Church in Korea.

After I permanently returned to the United States in 2012, I attended one semester at the Presbyterian Theological Seminary in America (PTSA), a Korean-language seminary that is affiliated with the liberal branch of the Presbyterian Church in Korea.

Then I attended a dispensational theological seminary for 3 semesters.

I wanted to study at Westminster Seminary California (Escondido, California)....but my father adamantly refused to allow me to study there because he has an intense dislike for conservative theology.

After I left the dispensational seminary, I attended the English Ministry (EM) Sunday worship services at a Korean Assemblies of God church but I did not find Christian community at that church.

For at least 3 or 4 months, I did not attend church at all.

Because I was raised to believe that Sunday church attendance is mandatory, I began attending Sunday worship services at the largest Korean church in Orange County, California (4,000 church members).

To make a long story short, I disliked the fact that the senior pastor droned on and on and on for one hour every Sunday.

In early 2017, I began attending Wednesday night Bible studies at a local Church of the Nazarene.

A few months later....with my mother's blessing, I made a clean break with the Korean Church and began attending my local Church of the Nazarene on Sundays as well as on Wednesdays.

Although my local Church of the Nazarene has less than 30 church members, I have finally found a church that I can call my spiritual home.

Wow. You really bounced around a lot. I also seeked to join a church, but they did not satisify. They also did not paint the picture of the saints I had read about in the New Testament, either. So yes, I agree with you. Home churches is where the real fellowship is at these days.

• Friendly
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
onetruechurch4, Welcome to CF!!

I firmly believe that the house churches in the Book of Acts were the churches that Jesus Christ wanted His disciples to establish.

Modern-day churches pale in comparison to the house churches in the Book of Acts.

That being said....although I am not affiliated with Newsong Church (Santa Ana, California) in any way, I think that Newsong Church has the right focus - serving the local community/impacting the local community through love.

My personal church journey

I was raised in Presbyterian churches (Korean Presbyterian churches).

(The Presbyterian Church is the largest Protestant Christian denomination in South Korea).

I attended a Korean Baptist church for a couple of years when I was a high school student.

After I graduated from university, I taught English in South Korea for 9 years.

While I was living in South Korea, I attended the Presbyterian church where my mother and father had their wedding ceremony.

Then I attended a Reformed church (in South Korea) that is closely tied to the Canadian Reformed Churches.

Although I loved the doctrine and theology of the Canadian Reformed Churches (especially the Heidelberg Catechism), the Reformed church that I attended would not allow me to participate in Communion because I was not an "official member" of the Reformed church.

I left the Reformed church that I had been attending (I was very sad when I left the Reformed church).

During the final 4 years that I lived in South Korea, I made the mistake of becoming a member of a cult-like church that is an ultra-conservative offshoot of the Presbyterian Church in Korea.

After I permanently returned to the United States in 2012, I attended one semester at the Presbyterian Theological Seminary in America (PTSA), a Korean-language seminary that is affiliated with the liberal branch of the Presbyterian Church in Korea.

Then I attended a dispensational theological seminary for 3 semesters.

I wanted to study at Westminster Seminary California (Escondido, California)....but my father adamantly refused to allow me to study there because he has an intense dislike for conservative theology.

After I left the dispensational seminary, I attended the English Ministry (EM) Sunday worship services at a Korean Assemblies of God church but I did not find Christian community at that church.

For at least 3 or 4 months, I did not attend church at all.

Because I was raised to believe that Sunday church attendance is mandatory, I began attending Sunday worship services at the largest Korean church in Orange County, California (4,000 church members).

To make a long story short, I disliked the fact that the senior pastor droned on and on and on for one hour every Sunday.

In early 2017, I began attending Wednesday night Bible studies at a local Church of the Nazarene.

A few months later....with my mother's blessing, I made a clean break with the Korean Church and began attending my local Church of the Nazarene on Sundays as well as on Wednesdays.

Although my local Church of the Nazarene has less than 30 church members, I have finally found a church that I can call my spiritual home.

WOW!!! Multiple Blessings!!! Great history!!! :holy:(Now if we could just get you to switch political parties.....):hug:

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I am non-denominational. I think the true church are house churches that believe Jesus is God and who truly seek to follow Jesus in all they do (According to His Word). Many believers I have ran into today try to justify sin in some way. Once Saved Always Saved. Eternal Security. That is their belief. But this belief is what I am strongly against and I will fight the good fight in defending the truth in love and by the power of our Lord (till my very last breath).

May God's love and peace be unto you all.

Upvote 0

onetruechurch4

Christianity is the only true philosophy.
Jul 8, 2017
New England
✟15,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, I am non-denominational. I think the true church are house churches that believe Jesus is God and who truly seek to follow Jesus in all they do (According to His Word). Many believers I have ran into today try to justify sin in some way. Once Saved Always Saved. Eternal Security. That is their belief. But this belief is what I am strongly against and I will fight the good fight in defending the truth in love and by the power of our Lord (till my very last breath).

Ever think about the Catholic or maybe even the Orthodox Churches? :cool:

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
WOW!!! Multiple Blessings!!! Great history!!! :holy:(Now if we could just get you to switch political parties.....):hug:

Winken, thank you. :D:D:D

Just so you know....on social issues, I am conservative.

I don't think of myself as a member of the Democratic Party.

I lean more toward the Green Party (on social justice issues and anti-racism)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ever think about the Catholic or maybe even the Orthodox Churches? :cool:

Never! I see these belief systems (not the people) as being very problematic spiritually in many areas.
I believe the Bible condemns communicating to the dead, among other things I would rather not discuss (because it is not accepted here at CF to speak out against Catholicism heavily without incurring points, and eventually being banned, etc.).

May God bless you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

onetruechurch4

Jul 8, 2017
New England
✟15,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Never! I see these belief systems (not the people) as being very problematic spiritually in many areas.
I believe the Bible condemns communicating to the dead, among other things I would rather not discuss (because it is not accepted here at CF to speak out against Catholicism without incurring points, and eventually being banned, etc.).

May God bless you.

PM me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Well, I have argued many times against Catholicism on other forums. My goal is to follow EXACTLY what is in God's Word and not in what some church says. For I believe Sola Scriptura to be a biblical doctrine. In fact, I have written a rather lengthy point by point with Scripture on Sola Scriptura. So I would only be interested in Private Messaging if you are truly open to hearing my side of the case. Would you be willing to take the criticism of what I feel is all wrong about Catholicism?

Please realize again, I have nothing against anyone in the Catholic church. I merely disagree strongly with their beliefs.

If you are silent, I will take that as a... "no."
If you say "yes" then be prepared, my friend.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

onetruechurch4

Jul 8, 2017
New England
✟15,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have argued many times against Catholicism on other forums. My goal is to follow EXACTLY what is in God's Word and not in what some church says. For I believe Sola Scriptura to be a biblical doctrine. In fact, I have written a rather lengthy point by point with Scripture on Sola Scriptura. So I would only be interested in Private Messaging if you are truly open to hearing my side of the case. Would you be willing to take the criticism of what I feel is all wrong about Catholicism?

Please realize again, I have nothing against anyone in the Catholic church. I merely disagree strongly with their beliefs.

I am open, but you also need to be open to my case. I use to be in a similar position as you until I converted to Catholicism.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am open,

I have a lot of information to show.
So it will take time to gather.

You said:
but you also need to be open to my case.

Well, I cannot unlearn what I know to be true.
I know alot that makes it absolutely unmistakable of my positon on this.
I am not talking about one or two things, but many things.
Just one area alone is all the evidence I need; But then there is even more. Tons more.
In fact, I am so confident about it, I would be willing to die for my beliefs in regards to this.

You said:
I use to be in a similar position as you until I converted to Catholicism.

I don't think this is the case.
But if you are still willing to engage with me Private Messaging you (knowing these facts), then by all means: Let the spiritual battle begin.

If you are not open to it, then by your silence, I will take that as a .... "no."
If you say "yes", then I will seek to gather my case as to show you why I believe the way I do.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

onetruechurch4

Jul 8, 2017
New England
✟15,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have a lot of information to show.
So it will take time to gather.

Well, I cannot unlearn what I know to be true.
I know alot that makes it absolutely unmistakable of my positon on this.
I am not talking about one or two things, but many things.
Just one area alone is all the evidence I need; But then there is even more. Tons more.
In fact, I am so confident about it, I would be willing to die for my beliefs.

I don't think so.
But if you are still willing to engage with me Private Messaging you (knowing these facts), then by all means. Let the spiritual battle begin.

If you are not open to it, then by your silence, I will take that as a .... "no."
If you say "yes", then I will seek to gather my case as to show you why I believe the way I do.

I'll do my best to engage. If it's way to much to the point where I simply don't have time I can't promise I will engage at that point. Just PM me it anyway. I will do my best.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am obviously new here and I am just trying to get into the groove of things. I just wanted to conduct a little survey on what theologies people on CF hold to. I know I probably missed a few, if I did, just tell us in the thread. (Note: Groups not holding to the Nicene Trinity are not consider Christians in this section and thus have not been listed).

I was Catholic then I switched to a three streams Church which is Charismatic, Evangelical, and Liturgical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Winken, thank you. :D:D:D

Just so you know....on social issues, I am conservative.

I don't think of myself as a member of the Democratic Party.

I lean more toward the Green Party (on social justice issues and anti-racism)
Thanks!! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I was born into a Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada family and remained Pentecostal by faith and spiritual experience until I got my BA. In other words, until then, I was a card-carrying glossolalic! True story. As a young man, my Uncle Larry pastored a small Pentecostal church in Paris, Ontario, Canada. One Sunday, a friend drove to his town to visit his church, but was unsure of the directions. So he stopped a guy on the street and asked him, "Can you tell me how to get to the Pentecostal church?" The stranger replied, "Well, that depends: we've got 2 kinds--the respectable kind and the Junping-Jesus kind. Which kind do you want?" Uncle Larry's friend smiled and replied, "I guess that would the Junping-Jesus kind!"

Any way, after I got my BA, I moved to the USA, explored different churches and finally realized that Methodism had a corner on all Truth. So I became a Methodist. :)

Joke: A Methodist pastor once began his service by posing this question: "If any of you are not Methodist, would you please stand up!" Only Mabel stood to her feet. The minister then asked, "So what are you?" Mabel replied proudly, "I'm a Babdist!" "So why are you a Babdist?" Mabel replied, "Because my Momma was a Babdist. My grandma was a Babdist, and my great-grandma was a Babdist. So I'm a Babdist." The Methodist minister smiled and replied, "That's a stupid way to reason. Suppose I said, "My Momma was a moron, my grandma was a moron, and my great-grandma was a moron." What would that make me?" Mabel replied, "That would make you a Methodist!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0