What cities have the most religions and christian demoninations?

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting question! I am curious myself (tho more about region).

Also not surprised about Denver.
I wonder if Colorado Springs is still very Christian or if that’s changing? Christian books I have are either published in Colorado Springs or cite other books that have been published in Colorado Springs.

My city in Michigan is historically Christian & has many Christian publishers as well, & is in what I’ve read is called the ‘Midwest Bible Belt’ but it’s not what it once was for sure.

Here's Wikipedia's take, not sure how udpated it's information is. How much have Colorado Springs, Grand Rapids, Wheaton etc. changed since the article was last updated? I think these 3 cities are changing rapidly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How one counts probably would impact any answer. Right after the Rodney King riots I helped distribute food and other necessities at a Pentecostal Church. (And they were rather different from most, their services could get pretty wild, But only when there were no outsiders present. Seems they took Paul's cautions on that matter rather seriously). I'm pretty sure it was unaffiliated. Does it count as its own denomination. What about churches that split from their denomination over women pastors?

I'd say Los Angeles probably has more religions than all but a handful of cities. I have driven past a Hindu temple. Same for a Zoroastrian temple and a Christian Science reading room. I've met Jews who are so conservative on the issue of working on the Sabath that they will not push the button for a walk signal. Actually, beyond that, but quite nice and elegant, he would not even ask me to push it. But he would inform me that he had not pushed the button. I've been on the grounds of an extensive Buddhist temple. A really nice one near San Pedro overlooking the ocean. Heck, near me there are 3 Christian Churches within q quarter mile circle.

And Los Angeles is spread out. plenty of room for all faiths or lack of faiths.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How one counts probably would impact any answer. Right after the Rodney King riots I helped distribute food and other necessities at a Pentecostal Church. (And they were rather different from most, their services could get pretty wild, But only when there were no outsiders present. Seems they took Paul's cautions on that matter rather seriously). I'm pretty sure it was unaffiliated. Does it count as its own denomination. What about churches that split from their denomination over women pastors?

I'd say Los Angeles probably has more religions than all but a handful of cities. I have driven past a Hindu temple. Same for a Zoroastrian temple and a Christian Science reading room. I've met Jews who are so conservative on the issue of working on the Sabath that they will not push the button for a walk signal. Actually, beyond that, but quite nice and elegant, he would not even ask me to push it. But he would inform me that he had not pushed the button. I've been on the grounds of an extensive Buddhist temple. A really nice one near San Pedro overlooking the ocean. Heck, near me there are 3 Christian Churches within q quarter mile circle.

And Los Angeles is spread out. plenty of room for all faiths or lack of faiths.
I’m not sure. Most cities will have a Jewish temple or 2, I know even my smaller, Christian / atheist dominated city has a Hindu temple. (not sure where it is but I had a couple friends growing up who would mention it), & the city's Muslim population is growing fast, I live very close to a Mulsim mosque for example

Usually in consideration, the Christian denominations are lumped under Chrisitanity in general, sometimes they’ll break off Catholic & Christian.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I’m not sure. Most cities will have a Jewish temple or 2, I know even my smaller, Christian / atheist dominated city has a Hindu temple. (not sure where it is but I had a couple friends growing up who would mention it)

Usually in consideration, the Christian denominations are lumped under Chrisitanity in general, sometimes they’ll break off Catholic & Christian together.
I know of at least 4 different Jewish temples because I have crossed paths with someone WALKING there! The vast majority of Jews are not nearly that conservative.

Oops. I forgot to mention the Sikh who I met in an Indian store when I was shopping for curry powder.

Do Mormons count as a separate group. There is a Mormon temple with impressive genealogical records here in Los Angeles.

I see I forgot to mention Muslims. Several Mosques, I assume at least Suni and Shiite, and probable some minority sects.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe. Wikipedia says church attendance & overall belief in God is very low in LA & other coastal areas compared to Bible Belt areas. Hence the name Bible Belt areas. Tho LA & coastal areas rank high in number of religions + denomination

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe. Wikipedia says church attendance & overall belief in God is very low in LA & other coastal areas compared to Bible Belt areas. Hence the name Bible Belt areas. Tho LA & coastal areas rank high in number of religions + denomination
It makes sense that attendance is higher where one has few choices. At the extreme it is dangerous not to attend the dominant church. At a less extreme level church becomes the center of social life and people attend for that reason. Where there is diversity there is also social life outside of church and little societal pressure to attend church (family pressure is a different story).

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0