what christians dont understand about....

Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A bible study on the concept of repentance can be very informative. Repentance too is a gift from God.
the Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mt. are elements of repentance. How dedicated are you in seeking first His Kingdom and His righteousness?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i do think the question of are we saved is of extreme importance, and i think we struggle with it because we dont have a direct way of knowing if we are saved.
The very concept of needing salvation is a matter of faith. So whether or not we are saved is also a matter of faith.

Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
no, im fine with being and staying calvinist.

In that case, despite the topic being a listicle about the ways in which everyone else is lacking, you must feel very sure in yourself and complete to remain as an unsaved Calvinist.

Unsaved and in some very real sense unfulfilled by your own theology yet insisting upon it anyway sounds like plain stubbornness.

Upvote 0

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
In that case, despite the topic being a listicle about the ways in which everyone else is lacking, you must feel very sure in yourself and complete to remain as an unsaved Calvinist.

Unsaved and in some very real sense unfulfilled by your own theology yet insisting upon it anyway sounds like plain stubbornness.

my being unsaved has nothing to do with calvinism, and everything to do with me sinning. You dont pick the religion or denomination that allows you to live how you want, you pick the way the Bible tells you to.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
my being unsaved has nothing to do with calvinism, and everything to do with me sinning.

The thing is if you’re a Calvinist, then you’re a believer in Calvinism, at the very least being a Calvinist means you believe in Calvinism.

And you’re not born again, right?

So your faith in Calvinism failed you. Believing in Jesus and God and total inability failed you because you’re a lifelong sinner, right?

So you believe in sinless perfectionism in order to be saved?

….but that’s not Calvinism. Calvinism is by grace alone through faith alone.

But you’re rejecting the grace and claiming the faith let you down because of persistent sin. That’s not Calvinism.

If by your own logic you’re an unsaved Calvinist who’s unsaved because he can’t stop sinning….then you don’t get Calvinism.

You’re some kind of semi Calvinist or modified Calvinist so far as I can read you.

Upvote 0

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
No, i dont believe in sinless perfection, and i know that our works dont save us, but they are proof of our salvation. This isnt a hard concept, faith without works means no regeneration. I have no works, i simply havent been regenerated. This is just a misunderstanding… you have no idea how wicked i really am. If so, you too would say “yea dude, you aint saved.”

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This isnt a hard concept, faith without works means no regeneration.

Then you have no faith and are not a Calvinist, at least not a real Calvinist so far as Calvinists are concerned.

You shouldn’t be calling yourself a Calvinist either, not if you insist you’re unsaved and have a dead faith in the whole scheme of things.

It’s like being a vegetarian but only on the weekends or a violent pacifist.

1. Either your faith in Calvinism failed, because faith comes with fruits, and as a result you should change religious outlook because Calvinism is a sham…

2. Or you’re not a true Calvinist but Calvinism is the one true faith…

Either way you shouldn’t be calling yourself a Calvinist.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, i dont believe in sinless perfection, and i know that our works dont save us, but they are proof of our salvation. This isnt a hard concept, faith without works means no regeneration. I have no works, i simply havent been regenerated..
Yes. Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit. No fruit at all demonstrates there is no root.

• Agree
Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
1. salvation is hard to achieve.
It's a gift of God, not an achievement.

It is described as being born again, being born takes time, longer than watching grass grow. That's part of what makes it difficult.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This isn’t an easy thing to accept but I’m honestly starting to think this point is logically airtight, @Lifelong_sinner.

1. If you’ve ever truly put your faith into Calvinism and that pure faith didn’t result in regeneration by the Spirit, then you’ve just proven Calvinism is false.

Don’t hold yourself hostage to a lie anymore and find the truth.

2. If you’ve never truly put your faith into Calvinism, then you owe it to yourself to test all things and then to “hold fast to that which is good.”

I personally think number 1 is your situation and that you are an “inconsistent Calvinist,” like most Calvinists on the planet are logically inconsistent.

I imagine your faith was genuine and resulted in nothing, for which you’re trapped in this “pick me” deadlock with God that’s going to last until you’re bold enough to walk away from the lie that’s keeping you down.

Upvote 0

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
This isn’t an easy thing to accept but I’m honestly starting to think this point is logically airtight, @Lifelong_sinner.

1. If you’ve ever truly put your faith into Calvinism and that pure faith didn’t result in regeneration by the Spirit, then you’ve just proven Calvinism is false.

Don’t hold yourself hostage to a lie anymore and find the truth.

2. If you’ve never truly put your faith into Calvinism, then you owe it to yourself to test all things and then to “hold fast to that which is good.”

I personally think number 1 is your situation and that you are an “inconsistent Calvinist,” like most Calvinists on the planet are logically inconsistent.

I imagine your faith was genuine and resulted in nothing, for which you’re trapped in this “pick me” deadlock with God that’s going to last until you’re bold enough to walk away from the lie that’s keeping you down.

just so we’re on the same page, do you believe calvinism is the correct doctrine??

• Informative
Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
just so we’re on the same page, do you believe calvinism is the correct doctrine??

No, Calvinism is absolutely false, all five points of Calvinism are false and have (IMO) helped towards your feelings of alienation from God.

Though I’m not precious about changing your beliefs or having you believe like me, I’m only writing Calvinism (even apart from being false) has reinforced your feelings of alienation from God.

Some people just don’t gel well with a theology on a psychological level, assuming you sincerely want to be saved and become a born again Christian, then Calvinism is clearly not the way to safeguard and build up your faith in Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, i dont believe in sinless perfection, and i know that our works dont save us, but they are proof of our salvation. This isnt a hard concept, faith without works means no regeneration. I have no works, i simply havent been regenerated. This is just a misunderstanding… you have no idea how wicked i really am. If so, you too would say “yea dude, you aint saved.”

After I was saved I felt led to quit smoking. I'd been smoking 2PAD for 32 years... but God was asking me to stop.

It wasn't some magical suddenly I stopped wanting a cigarette type of thing. There were times I wanted a cigarette so bad in the beginning I would cry - literally cry. And people smoking around me was the worst! I would physically shake with the effort of not asking to bum just one cigarette.

But the Bible is true, God gave me just enough strength and a way out to actually do what had previously been impossible for me, and I did quit smoking. I haven't had a cigarette in 7 years.

I think here that you may be confusing being saved and having obedience. God isn't always going to make it easy to turn from sin... but he does make it possible. Just because you have to physically and consciously decide to obey God, even when it's not easy, doesn't mean your not saved... It means God is allowing a trial and that trial will benefit you. Its to you to lean on God as you walk through it.

It's part of how our relationship with God grows, and we get to know Him better... as well as get to know our true selves.

Upvote 0

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
No, Calvinism is absolutely false, all five points of Calvinism are false and have (IMO) helped towards your feelings of alienation from God.

Though I’m not precious about changing your beliefs or having you believe like me, I’m only writing Calvinism (even apart from being false) has reinforced your feelings of alienation from God.

Some people just don’t gel well with a theology on a psychological level, assuming you sincerely want to be saved and become a born again Christian, then Calvinism is clearly not the way to safeguard and build up your faith in Jesus.

then i see we dont agree on this topic as i believe in calvinism, i believe it is entirely Biblical, and will continue to believe in it.

Upvote 0

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
After I was saved I felt led to quit smoking. I'd been smoking 2PAD for 32 years... but God was asking me to stop.

It wasn't some magical suddenly I stopped wanting a cigarette type of thing. There were times I wanted a cigarette so bad in the beginning I would cry - literally cry. And people smoking around me was the worst! I would physically shake with the effort of not asking to bum just one cigarette.

But the Bible is true, God gave me just enough strength and a way out to actually do what had previously been impossible for me, and I did quit smoking. I haven't had a cigarette in 7 years.

I think here that you may be confusing being saved and having obedience. God isn't always going to make it easy to turn from sin... but he does make it possible. Just because you have to physically and consciously decide to obey God, even when it's not easy, doesn't mean your not saved... It means God is allowing a trial and that trial will benefit you. Its to you to lean on God as you walk through it.

It's part of how our relationship with God grows, and we get to know Him better... as well as get to know our true selves.

the issue is i cant fight at all. I lose every single time. Leaning on God isnt something i understand.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the issue is i cant fight at all. I lose every single time. Leaning on God isnt something i understand.

I didn't understand at first either... but it is by doing that we learn the how.

For me, I peppered my house with post-it notes that I wrote short but encouraging scripture on, and scripture became my "mantra" if you will, during all those times I was weak...

You'll find a way, trust in God...and I can tell you, trust isn't always easy, but in Christ it's possible.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If we come to Christ, He will not reject us. Do not overthink it.

John 6:37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.
Faith is built by listening to the Word of God (not some theological framework). Its not something God is trying to keep from anyone.

Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
God loves you and desires for you to be saved. He sent Christ who gave himself as a ransom for you. Don't give up.

1 Timothy 2:1Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, 7for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0