Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The bible speaks of two catagories of christians. Carnal and spiritual. When someone commits adultery, it is clear that they are operating in their flesh and not being led by the spirit. Adultery is a work of the flesh. To answer the question of why a Christian would commit adultery, one needs to answer the more general question of why a christian would operate in the flesh in any area. Selfishness is a pretty good answer, in my view.

There are legitimate needs that everyone has and adultery is an illegitimate way to get a legitimate need met. But I think that the need oftentimes goes beyond physical needs. It is usually more emotional than it is physical.

Upvote 0

searle29678

Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend
Dec 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christians commit adultery for the same reasons they commit any other sin--we're human. Temptation gets the best of us in a lot of situations. If your spouse isn't nice enough, or hard working enough.....if you have low self esteem.....you just met someone you like more than your spouse......any of those separately or combined can override a person's respect for their marriage or love for their spouse if it's not kept in check.

Reactions: brokenbananas
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jmcgowan2

Jun 22, 2005
Visit site
✟7,701.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would hope that most Christian husbands don't get caught up in pride, or selfishness to such a degree that it would lead to adultery (I'm not saying that I believe this to be true, I just hope that it is...) but I know that I struggle most (never fallen... thank God!) when I simply connect with someone. It's not even a matter of spending time alone with a girl, it's about spending time with a girl that I connect with. Personally, I work with mostly all girls (in a retail setting) and some of them present no temptations at all. Other girls I work with present great temptations, because I somehow connect with them. We have a similar sense of humor, or something unique in common, or maybe they just have an interesting personality. Either way, my answer is always the same... talk about my wife every chance I can and make sure it never gets to be an 'alone' situation!

Jeremiah McGowan

Reactions: brokenbananas
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Blue Impulse said:
Well, the term "carnal" simply means "physical" especially in sexual needs and activities..

Our basis for salvation as Christians is based on our acceptance of Jesus Christ into our lives.. we sin, because we are not perfect, we repent, we ask honest forgiveness of Jesus Christ, and we are forgiven all the same for all sins. So I'm not sure what you mean by "carnal" Christians.. but if you are asking if Christians sin physically do they get into heaven, then the answer is yes they do if they are truly in repentance for their actions and are seeking forgiveness and guidance through Jesus Christ.

But as I see it, you have to be HONESTLY truly repenting.. anyone can say "I'm sorry, forgive me" but not everyone can mean it. So which ones of the people asking forgiveness ACTUALLY get saved? No one can answer that question, its between individuals and God.

~ ~

The term carnel Christian is a biblical one. I will try to find the reference.

Upvote 0

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a bit of a tough post for me to write, since it seems that everyone else is posting in a different manner.

I'll just relay from my experiences. I committed adultery against my ex-husband. I am not proud of myself at all and was 100% wrong.

My reasons:
1. I judged those who did such things and thought they were terrible. I thought I was beyond this sin. -- PRIDE
2. Because I thought I was beyond this sin, I didn't protect myself (put on the WHOLE ARMOUR of God EVERY DAY).
3. There was great needs in my marriage that we not being met by my husband on many different levels. I felt very alone, angry, frustrated.
4. I had a poor self-esteem, did not truly understand who I was in Christ.
5. I worked around 95% men and really never had any problems with men before. Once again, did not keep my guard.
6. I didn't understand anything about boundaries in relationships.

At the time I committed adultery, I was leading prayer groups and making huge progress, but I did not protect all areas of my life and that's where Satan came in. In some areas of my Christian walk, it was going very strong and well. However, not all areas were, obviously. I was extremely lonely and it was never my intention to even flirt or get into a friendship that went to where it did. I totally regret it. For me, after I committed adultery, I was racked with guilt. I couldn't understand how I got to where I got to.

It was with one stray thought, timing, loneliness, hurt, anger, frustration, charm, a need to feel loved and accepted. I think the biggest thing was that originally I thought I was beyond this sin that led to my demise. I now realize, there is no sin that I cannot commit. Acknowledging this frees me to allow God to work in my life and to protect me in ALL areas.

Many people who commit adultery don't wake up thinking "Hey, I want to commit adultery." It happens over a progression of time through a bunch of things. Be on your guard, and put on the whole armour of God daily. The devil seeks to steal, kill and destroy your marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Egghead said:
-being weak willed
-vows that werent sincere
-a spouse who is satan incarnate

I'm just wondering, have you ever sinned against God in anything? Saying that a person who sins is Satan incarnate is very judgmental. It reminds me of the Pharisees who judged the adulterous woman. They, in actuality, were far worse than her because at least she acknowledged her sin and repented while the Pharisees thought they were all high and mighty.

Of course, I was right where your thinking was before I ever committed adultery. Don't be so quick to judge other people. At least I was willing to admit, ask for forgiveness and allow God to change me. God looks at ALL SIN as wrong, and not adultery worse than a white lie.

Upvote 0

jmcgowan2

Jun 22, 2005
Visit site
✟7,701.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mdolls68 said:
I'm just wondering, have you ever sinned against God in anything? Saying that a person who sins is Satan incarnate is very judgmental. It reminds me of the Pharisees who judged the adulterous woman. They, in actuality, were far worse than her because at least she acknowledged her sin and repented while the Pharisees thought they were all high and mighty.

Of course, I was right where your thinking was before I ever committed adultery. Don't be so quick to judge other people. At least I was willing to admit, ask for forgiveness and allow God to change me. God looks at ALL SIN as wrong, and not adultery worse than a white lie.

I could be wrong, but I read egghead's comment as being a little tongue in cheek towards the spouse who was cheated on (as in: I cheated on you because you are Satan incarnate and I can't stand to be around you). Egghead, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Jeremiah McGowan

Upvote 0

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
philknowles said:
Well, here's a good question then, do carnal christians have the same salvation to enter heaven as the spiritual ones?

With this post, are you meaning Christians who sin? I would challenge each Christian on any given day to NOT sin in any manner. This is very difficult. I don't know if it's impossible or not, but for me, though my relationship now with Christ is much better and stronger, I think for the rest of my life, there probably isn't a day that goes by that I don't do something against God.

It might be a thought, a look, a word, an attitude...those are probably the worst things for me....because most of that is in my head and no one but God sees....Those are just as bad as the outward stuff.

Upvote 0