What can I take long term for depression and anxiety?

Maka

Dec 4, 2012
✟21,686.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is a blind post so I apologize if it's already been recommended. I'd make sure I was getting enough magnesium rich foods in my diet if I were you.

Here are some examples of magnesium rich foods from the Dr Oz web site.

1 cup of kidney beans
1 cup of brown rice
1/2 cup of quinoa
1/2 cup of boiled spinach
1 cup of oatmeal
1 cup of shredded wheat
1 cup of raisin bran
2 bannanas
2 slices of whole wheat breat

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exercise and sunshine.

Most everything else, you'd want a doctor to monitor your liver.

Also, do the things you used to enjoy even if you don't feel like it. Quite often the pleasure will kick in once you get started.
I'm with Daisy on the sunshine and exercise.

Just look what dreary Winter days do to us. And exercise is a cure-all for many things.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
per op >

Some good posts on this page, but it's against the rules for me to tell you why they won't work for you. ..... (unless Yhwh permits).

If you can find a way to contact me outside this website, and you really want help to find the Joy and Peace without depression, I'll be glad to try to get the right information(that works all of the time with no exception) to you (I don't sell anything, nor recommend anything that costs you spending money, per se --- i.e. no motive except your well-being)

Upvote 0

vibranthealth

Feb 7, 2014
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There's some very good answers here. Almost overwhelming! lol

Here's a strategy to actually implement these techniques and get you out of your depression once and for all!

1. Take 1 of the techniques from this thread and try it for a week, everyday.
2. Record how you feel every day after implementing this technique
3. Next week, If you feel like it's working, do more of it. If not, try a different one.
4. Keep on collecting strategies that works for you and do it daily.

In no time, you'll get out of your depression! You just need to find what works not for anyone else, but for YOU.

You've got this. ;)

*another thing I might add if it's not mentioned yet is: hang out with fun people that you like and want to be like!
bonus points: EXERCISE and LAUGH with people that you like!

Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟433,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I know the herb st John's wort helps with depression. Don't know about taking it long-term I think it's ok but please do some research first. It doesn't mix with prescription anti-depressents so if you take any of those avoid it.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
More info than you can possibly want (I linked to the PDF files, rather than the HTML pages, to minimize the product advertizing.):

Anxiety (PDF file)

Depression (PDF file)

Any of the things listed, "natural" or not, can potentially have negative side-effects. If nothing else, they often cause indigestion and related... "issues."

There's also phenylethylamine, but some more recent research suggests it may promote Parkinsonism, IIRC.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone. :wave: I am looking for some natural remedies for depression and anxiety that I can take long term. What do you suggest?

Yoga exercises and coconut cream as sweetener. I often drink coco water and always found it to be very refreshing in summer heat and the cream is a great sweetener that makes you feel good.

Always be well! :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
y.ga will lead to even greater troubles with peace and contentment. always does.

other things too, may keep peace and contentment at bay no matter what else is done.

from those around her, co-workers and others, and in her own words, m.th.r... did not ever have peace and contentment, nor even any assurance of salvation! (search online). she was held up as if something special worldwide, but she spoke the truth about her despair, with many witnesses(close friends of hers included), and never recovered.

• Winner
Reactions: Luke buckley
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JasonHarless

Dec 17, 2014
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Serotonin and it's derivatives has been largely misrepresented as the "feel good" drug when in reality it has been known for years it is a mediator of stress which decreases metabolism. Supplementing with these have been known to cause serious problems. Instead, increasing efficient metabolism of sugar lowers many health risks associated with chronic adaptation to our stress hormones.

"In Parkinson’s disease, the benefits seen from increasing the concentration of dopamine could result from dopamine’s antagonism to serotonin; anti-serotonin drugs can alleviate the symptoms, and 5-hydroxytryptophan can worsen the symptoms (Chase, et al., 1976)." Ray Peat, PHD

"Serotonin and its derivative, melatonin, are both involved in the biology of torpor and hibernation. Serotonin inhibits mitochondrial respiration. Excitoxic death of nerve cells involves both the limitation of energy production, and increased cellular activation. Serotonin has both of these actions." Ray Peat, PHD

"Serotonin activates glycolysis, forming lactic acid. Excess lactic acid tends to decrease efficient energy production by interfering with mitochondrial respiration.

Heart failure, hypertension, muscle hyperalgesia (Babenko, et al., 2000), some panic reactions, and other maladaptive biological events associated with problems of energy metabolism, are promoted by excessive serotonin." RP

Reactions: Luke buckley
Upvote 0