What book are you reading at the moment?

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
my church had a job available but it went to someone else so I asked about other jobs...and they said there were no paid ones but was I interested in being the librarian.

I'm like....noooo!

Ok, if you were me. And you worked for years as library assistant. And you do the degree and everything. And then you were never promoted because those things don't happen unless someone retires. And nobody ever retires. And then someone comes along and tells you they want you to do a librarians job for NOTHING.

And you have no budget to buy any new books. Like, absolutely no money. And many of those books in the library nobody ever reads. What would you do?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
hmm. all these christian writers and speakers are american except for Corrie Ten Boom who I HAVE heard of.

I was thinking there might be more of a mix of different nationalities. But then I suppose the book is from america and in english..seems to be a subculture of american christians that I hadn't really encountered before. Well it was last century.

Upvote 0

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
After finishing Alter's Ancient Israel, I began reading this...

9780830817825.jpg

...but I cut that short to reread...

51v6kJKAsQL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

...since it contains a good hermeneutic by which to read the historical books and I wanted to refresh my memory of its contents before proceeding in the IVP volume.

Reactions: Somber
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
my church had a job available but it went to someone else so I asked about other jobs...and they said there were no paid ones but was I interested in being the librarian.

I'm like....noooo!

Ok, if you were me. And you worked for years as library assistant. And you do the degree and everything. And then you were never promoted because those things don't happen unless someone retires. And nobody ever retires. And then someone comes along and tells you they want you to do a librarians job for NOTHING.

And you have no budget to buy any new books. Like, absolutely no money. And many of those books in the library nobody ever reads. What would you do?

ok excuse my rant while I am sobbing into my Bible.

You know, I just live on books. I don't need to eat at all. I could just live in the church library. Like a church library mouse.

Lol... goodbook you're awesome. I think I enjoy reading your posts more than any others on here.
Right now I need to finish 'the warriors soul' and i started 'the pursuit of God'. I also started 'a life in secrets'...its about a woman named vera atkins, you might like it. I havent read much of it though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
'reading' Audiobook of: Varieties of Religious Experience by William James part 1 first lecture starts around 17:20

thank God for audio books. sometimes I just can't bring myself to read... even though I read the forums a lot.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol... goodbook you're awesome. I think I enjoy reading your posts more than any others on here.
Right now I need to finish 'the warriors soul' and i started 'the pursuit of God'. I also started 'a life in secrets'...its about a woman named vera atkins, you might like it. I havent read much of it though.
I havent heard of that one.
Thanks for the compliment! Although sometimes I think I post too much and then people get annoyed, oh thats goodbook reading yet ANOTHER book and posting about it. What a know-it-all!

Btw still havent finished the book yet I am on now, its taking a while to process.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I havent heard of that one.
Thanks for the compliment! Although sometimes I think I post too much and then people get annoyed, oh thats goodbook reading yet ANOTHER book and posting about it. What a know-it-all!

Btw still havent finished the book yet I am on now, its taking a while to process.
Haha maybe, I wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm currently reading You and Me Forever in Light of Eternity - Francis Chan A book that concentrates on the relationship and importance of God before marriage. I may not be married, but I think this is going to be an insightful read.

Reactions: Boogeyman07
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read a lot of married couple books and it just put me off marriage. I remember reading one that said it was the real truth about marriage, and the husband said he used to look at inappropriate content and the wife was sexually abused prior to marriage. They had problems.

I mean what wife would want to be with someone who had a inappropriate content habit. ugh. Only by the grace of God did that marriage survive. I don't know how common it is these days, but that is gross. And the poor children, to know their dad just saw women as sex objects. What would he be teaching his children?

anyway.

I'm now onto this book called Cuckoo in the nest. Its about a 28 year old comedian who moves back in with her parents. Because of the recession, she can't find a decent flat.

Sounds familiar.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wonder if comedian is a viable career option these days.
I mean it was no joke that robin williams ended his own life. Sorry just being random. He didnt move in with his parents, in fact apparently he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think I will give it 4 stars, but it will probably be excruciatingly boring for anybody else who mercifully hasn't lived through the horror that is parents. well, just you wait, in old age they will creep up on you and you will be the meat in the sandwich, having to look after both children and parents, should you think marriage is an escape hatch and freedom from tyranny.

Upvote 0