What bishop prayed at the Democratic Convention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oblio said:
There is that part of the issue too, and FWIW I agree with you CS.
Does the presence of the EOC within the WCC add it's "stamp of approval" to everything they do? I don't think so. It seems to me that the good Archbishop seized the day and made the most out of a bad situation. he took the opportunity to be salt and light.
Just my 2 cents worth
In XP,
Eusebios.
OrthoPrayer.gif

Reactions: CyberSponge
Upvote 0

CyberSponge

A cybernetic sponge
Jan 10, 2004
Northern California
✟15,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Eusebios said:
Does the presence of the EOC within the WCC add it's "stamp of approval" to everything they do? I don't think so. It seems to me that the good Archbishop seized the day and made the most out of a bad situation. he took the opportunity to be salt and light.
Just my 2 cents worth
In XP,
Eusebios.
EOC presence in the WCC is not analogous to an Orthodox Archbishop praying what he prayed at a political convention. In the former, it's an organizational decision involving multiple bishops in agreement, and at the WCC EOC delegates have made very strong statements that oppose the goals of most WCC members. In the latter, an individual Archbishop made strong statements, but not in opposition to any group. It's not just showing up, it's what you do when you show up. He could have showed up and said "These people's party platform is in opposition to our Church's teachings on these particular points." In that case, it wouldn't be a stamp of approval at all. What I REALLY, REALLY hope is that he'll give a similar prayer at the republican convention, since I think our commander-in-chief definitely needs our prayers (especially for wisdom in these trying times, and for our soldiers in harm's-way).

I do think that at least he did have good intentions and was trying to seize the moment for good. We just must be careful when mixing religion with politics (one is Holy, one is worldly, combine the 2 and BOOM!!!)

Upvote 0

The Prokeimenon!

like unto bees about a honeycomb
Feb 3, 2004
some crummy town
✟18,326.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's Moses this time...

In regards to the voting guides... As a Fundagelical, Republicanism was so tightly intertwined with Christianity that it was widely acknowleged that one was not saved if they were a Democrat. The Church lacked air-conditioning, so in the summer we were given little fans (a piece of posterboard on a stick) that said "vote Republican." Our Pastor went to city council meetings and told the members which zoning ordinances were of God. I'm not kidding. He was an active member of the Republican Party and used the pulpit with great frequency to tell us who specifically to vote for. When I left that Church, I heartily embraced the Democratic Party, because for me personally, Republicanism was synonymous with false Religion. It was an "overcorrection" if you will. Having calmed down a little, I think both parties stink.

I hate the stand that the Democratic party takes on abortion. But what about the Republican support of the death penalty? How can a party be Pro-Life if they support state-sponsered killing of any person?

Bush sent us to war, but I have no doubt that Kerrey (or is it Kerry... we have a Kerry/Kerrey from here in Nebraska and I forget which spelling is which) will keep us there. (I'm not making a pro/anti-war statement... I honestly don't know what to believe about it.) The economy will go up down regardless of who's President. Both parties will try to outlaw one form of killing, while advocating another.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm voting for my cat.

Moses

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
MosestheBlack said:
The economy will go up down regardless of who's President. Both parties will try to outlaw one form of killing, while advocating another.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm voting for my cat.

Moses
I agree 100%. Now, the question I have is this. Just for my write in, is it Guido with 1 d or 2? ;)

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Being a very recent fundagelical, I was a staunch Republican although I abhorred the death penalty. However, after reading about President Bush's mockery of Karla Faye Tucker's plea for clemency I lost much of the respect I had for him.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
From a Christian view point, the state has its power from death. Remember the temptations in the wilderness the kingdoms of the world are satan's to give as they are principalities and powers who are creatures of the fall. Look at the Gospel reading of the raising of Lazurus and see that it was Our Lord raising Lazarus from the dead that sent shock waves through the powers that be. Not only did they need to kill Our Lord, but Lazarus as well. John 12:10-11 So the chief priests planned to kill Lazarus too, for on account of him many of the Jewish people from Jerusalem were going away and believing in Jesus.
I wish I still had it, an open letter that William Stringfellow wrote to Jimmy Carter back in 1976. Stringfellow basically said it did not matter who won, because the power behind the state is death itself, and it has nothing to do with the goodness or evil of an individual office holder.
It is the society itself, the values that is preached in the media and everything that smacks of nilhilism that causes abortion. If we want to stop abortion, then we have to look at the cause of it, because it is just a symptom of a more major sickness. Just a thought to think about, when meeting someone the first time, the question that will come up is what do you do? Now that is to ask what do you have, if you got a job a good job and so forth, not who are you what do you stand for, but what do you have. If we reduce life to having, then we are all dead.
As Orthodox Christians we need to challenge the root of the problem with the proclaimation of the Gospel, that Our Lord defeated death once and for all. We need also not fear death, or poverty but take our bearings from the saints such as the fools for Christ.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.