Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have asked this before, but I am looking to possibly purchase another Bible. I am wanting a Life Application Study Bible. So my version choices are limited I suppose. I am wondering which version you all use. The LASB choices I have narrowed it to, are NIV (2011), NKJV, or HCSB. Which do you all recommend out of these? I have heard and expressed the same sentiment before, that the NIV 2011 is gender neutral. The SBC condemned it, which has me concerned. Thoughts?
It depends on how you want to use it. Do you just read a bible or do you study it? There is a difference that will show itself if you choose the NIV 2011. Someone who studies the bible would take all the occurrences of gender neutral language and compare it scripture by scripture to traditional translations.

Basically the NIV 2011 would be the poorest choice if you're just going to read it. However it has some worth if you're going to study it.

Upvote 0

Kristeen

Nov 9, 2016
Dubai
✟15,708.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
King James.

King James is an authorized version of the bible and was translated by scholars from Hebrew and Greek language during the time of King James. Other versions should be used only for reference from reading KJV. Be careful of the other version of the bible as some important verses are omitted.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
King James is an authorized version of the bible and was translated by scholars from Hebrew and Greek language during the time of King James. Other versions should be used only for reference from reading KJV. Be careful of the other version of the bible as some important verses are omitted.
I think the King James is a lot more accurate than some ppl give it credit for, although the original Hebrew and Greek are the ultimate reference point.

• Agree
Reactions: Clovis Man
Upvote 0

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Ah -- authorized by WHO? Of course, the translation was authorized by King James, but he is certainly not the "Supreme Authority" over Bible translations. I'm not really such a "Supreme Authority" exists. Look at the ones that interest you, analyze them, and take your pick.

Upvote 0