Ormita

Jan 23, 2017
Erie,Pa
✟7,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have asked this before, but I am looking to possibly purchase another Bible. I am wanting a Life Application Study Bible. So my version choices are limited I suppose. I am wondering which version you all use. The LASB choices I have narrowed it to, are NIV (2011), NKJV, or HCSB. Which do you all recommend out of these? I have heard and expressed the same sentiment before, that the NIV 2011 is gender neutral. The SBC condemned it, which has me concerned. Thoughts?

Download Esword It is free You can give a donation. I use New King James Version Paralell

Upvote 0

Aaron Rich

Jan 3, 2017
Denver
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I too would highly recommend the CJB and along with it I would recommend the the Tree of Life Version (TLV). The TLV doesn't use the transliterated Hebrew words as the CJB does. The transliteration brings additional meaning to the text, but also makes it difficult to read at times such as when there's a lot of hard Hebraic names.

TLV | Tree of Life Version - Home

Upvote 0

patdee

Sep 20, 2016
Duluth, Georgia
✟23,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have asked this before, but I am looking to possibly purchase another Bible. I am wanting a Life Application Study Bible. So my version choices are limited I suppose. I am wondering which version you all use. The LASB choices I have narrowed it to, are NIV (2011), NKJV, or HCSB. Which do you all recommend out of these? I have heard and expressed the same sentiment before, that the NIV 2011 is gender neutral. The SBC condemned it, which has me concerned. Thoughts?

I use a number of versions of a number of bibles. I find this helpful in understanding what is written. However, I did NOT do this for the first 66 yrs of my "walk" with Jesus.

For I believed, as MANY Christians believe, that the ONLY bible that was in-errant, infallible and inspired by God was the "King James* version" of the bible. In fact, I believed this SO much that I used to espouse that NO other version of any bible was of God and thus it was satan led.

How foolish I was. For there is NOT one shred of evidence ON this planet that that belief is correct. That belief is simply like MANY beliefs; such as "the earth is flat", etc, etc, and etc! It is satan's way of making us believe things that are NOT true and thus; it causes us to believe things that are dead wrong; but we foolishly go to our graves holding to beliefs that were handed down from generation to generation. Sad indeed.

In fact, (and this is going to get me flamed from here to eternity), NO bible or so-called "scripture" is in-errant, infallible and God inspired across the board. YES...there is scripture that IS in-errant and infallible and inspired by God; but there is more that are not. Believe what you wish. But wisdom teaches that the ONLY in-errant, infallible "word of God" is JESUS! IE:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the "Word", and the "Word" was with(in) God, and the "Word" was God. and....John 1:14 And the "Word" was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

(Note: I challenge ANY one on earth to show me a piece of scripture that was EVER "made flesh and dwelt among us".)

Scripture is NOT the word of God' even though there are countless words in much scripture in MANY version of bibles, qurans and torahs; that IS in-errant and infallible and inspired by God. But there is a plethora of words that are not in-errant, not infallible and NOT inspired by God in MOST of what is called "scripture". Compare the following contradictions:

Deuteronomy 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

and....

Matthew 19:8 He (Jesus) saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

(Note: please read Matthew 19:3-7 to see what Jesus was talking about)

Matthew 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

and.....................

Matthew 22:45 If David then call him (Jesus) Lord, how is he (Jesus) his (David's) son?

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. (Abraham died 14 generations ('circa 750 yrs) before David was born!)

(Note: Mathew wrote what he thought was correct. However, Jesus said he was wrong in John 8:58.)

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice (atonement-forgiveness) for sins,

and......................

Mark 3:28 Verily I say unto you, "All" sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

Note: "Blaspheming the Holy Ghost" is NOT what Hebrews 10:26 is talking about. For that verse implies that ANY sin ANY person commits at what EVER age, will NOT ever be forgiven; if it was done willfully and the person had heard the truth before the sin was committed. This means that a 5 yr old child who did this would NEVER be forgiven. It also applies to any one at any age that does it. The author of Hebrews (who ever he was-no one knows for sure) was foolish for writing such trash. IE:

and..........................

John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. John 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

(Note the words "never" and "everlasting". Both of those words are "absolute", UNLESS an exception is given. And there wasn't any exceptions given by Jesus.)

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not "unequally" yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (KJV 1st and 2nd versions)

and............................

2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? (NIV)

Note: The word "unequally" does NOT belong in this verse. Because it makes a double negative scenario which says in essence, "we are to be yoked with the non believer". ALL other versions than the KJV have not included that word. NO one knows why the KJV translators took the liberty of ADDING a word NOT in the original scroll. Oh indeed yes. research it if in doubt.

I could go on and on, but the point is made. Again: ALL scripture in totality contains countless errors, contradictions, additions, subtractions, translational errors, copy errors and downright lies, etc. On yes indeed.

When in doubt, go to Jesus in sincere prayer; and He will ALWAYS lead one to the truth; and cause them to steer around the chaff to get to the wheat; and the reason is:

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the "truth", and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Note: I now believe that Jesus meant that He was the ONLY truth there will EVER be that is in-errant; and this excludes scripture in totality; while there IS scripture that is true. Most of it is not. Praise His Holy Name for ONLY He can lead us to the truth. NEVER worship any thing including a book written by mortal man.

Paul was dead wrong when he wrote: 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

He wrote it because he believed it. The above proves he was wrong. I believe ALL will KNOW this on judgment day when ALL truth will be revealed by Jesus. Praise His Holy Name.

In any case, May Jesus richly bless you and yours always.

* There are basically 3 versions of the KJV:

First KJV published in England in 1611 under the demand of King James the VI. It had 80 books: 39 "OLD" testament books; 14 books called the "Apocrypha"; and the 27 "NEW" testament books. The 2nd version of KJV was published in 1885 (174 years AFTER the 1st version) in America and it had 66 books. WHY the reduction? Huh?

The 3rd and last version to date was called: the NEW KJV or NKJV and it was published in 1982 (97 yrs AFTER the 2nd version) and it also has 66 books. However, it has removed (and totally justified) the "Elizabethan" words**; like Ye, Thy, Thine, Hath, Doth, Believeth, etc, etc, and etc. In addition; many KNOWN translational errors in the first 2 versions were corrected under diligent consecration and prayers by devout bible scholars; regardless of what negativity you may have heard. Oh indeed yes.

Note: THE most accurately translated bible to have ever been published was in 1971 and it is called the NASB (The American Standard Bible). It is a direct (without exception) "word by word" translation. Sadly, that causes it to be VERY difficult to read and it has never been received very well. The NIV (1973) is a compromise to the NASB; since it is a "phrase by phrase" translation that makes it easier for English speaking people to understand. It is also VERY accurately translated. But as always, the KJV "boys" have dubbed it the "Nearly Inspired Version" of the bible. Oh well!

Believe it or not.

** These words did NOT exist in ANY language until Queen Elizabeth the "1st" reigned in England in the 16th century. She was obsessed with poetry and prose; and she wanted a language that would satisfy her obsession with said "colorful" and "romantic" forms of speaking. Her "Linguists" heeded and thus the words came into being. They should NEVER have been in ANY scripture. Thus why the ONLY bibles to have ever had them is the 1st and 2nd version of the KJV. So sad indeed.

Believe it or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DJItalianspur

Oct 4, 2012
✟17,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is interesting if you type into google KJV vs NIV. Several sites come up with comparisons and they shows several verses and key parts of verses missing from one of the versions. Some so much so you couldn't study the verse with out the correct bible! Can you guess which one?

Always best to have refererence to the KJV.

Another reason to use the KJV is some of the commentators that have used the KJV. Matthew Henry, spurgeon, Calvin, Lloyd Jones, BB Warfield. They guys didn't do too badly using the KJV!

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Personally, I would avoid a "version" and go with a translation... I use the NASB

Reactions: Clovis Man
Upvote 0

Menachem Karelefsky

Apr 27, 2016
United States
✟15,212.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Attachments

• Kehot Chumash.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 58
  • GUTNICK_CHUMASH.pdf
    724.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Agree
Reactions: BukiRob
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the Message Bible is a great one to read. No confusion as to what is being said

However, there is considerable confusion about what the text actually said. I would recommend staying far away from this version, the translation work is incredibly poor.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am convinced that the KJV is the Best English translation we have for many reasons especially the differentiation between singular and plural pronouns and lack of desire to make money off of it. I own quite a few translations and I have done my fair share of research on textual and translation philosophy/word choice that I feel I have a above average understanding on why I make that claim so confidently until proven otherwise

For most people the KVJ is a poor translation because word usage has changed so significantly i.e. words like amazed grief, cab, sorrow, conversation, bruit, gay, curious, custom, etc... meant very different things in the 17th century than they do today. Most of the perceived differences between he KJV and modern translations are a result of people misunderstanding the 17th century English. Unless someone is willing to invest the time it takes to understand how words were understood in the 17th century, they should not be using the KJV.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Of the three versions you mentioned i.e. the NIV 2011, NKJV, or HCSB, I would recommend the HCSB and the NKJV. Other versions that are worth considering are the NRSV, ESV, NET, NASB. I would recommend owning several of these versions. Comparing the text in different versions is a great way to gain a better understanding of the text.

I would avoid the NIV 2011 for two reasons: first, there a few places where the NIV 2011 uses inclusive language when the majority of bible scholars reject the inclusive nature of the passage. Second, there are a few places where the translation is highly interpretive, and third, (and biggest concern for me) the NIV 2011 represents a significant ethical failure. A promise had been made to not adopt inclusive language in the NIV by the CBT, but when the CBT could not get people to accept the inclusive language used in the TNIV, they chose to reliable the TNIV (with some slight modifications) as the NIV 2011 to capitalize on the NIV name recognition. They then chose to revoke all publishing rights of the original NIV to force people to adopt the changes made in the NIV 2011. Because of the significant ethical failure involved, I cannot recommend this translation.

• Useful
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Quans

Nov 20, 2005
The Netherlands
✟15,554.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Had a KJV for number of years but going to church in the Netherlands I had to translate a number of things at the same time so switched to NKJV to make it easier on myself, mostly it was ok, except I started noticing changes in the text; this was compared to Dutch statenvertaling. I got an NIV to check and that was even worse, missing out complete versus. So I opted to go back to the KJV and get a dictionary... Get yourself one of the TBS KJV Westminster Reference bibles, they have in-line helps for the archaic words.

Upvote 0

Ajushi

Jan 1, 2010
✟20,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Pure Cambridge Authorized King James Version is the only valid English version of the Word. All the other versions that are of the "modern line" of translations all contain the same corruptions. The only exceptions is the New King James Version and some other versions based on king james, which are still not great, but not as bad as the modern line.

If you fear the Lord and actually want to know God's love, but have a hard time with reading, writing, or understanding, then my sense is that it's ok to just read or listen whatever works for you and don't worry about it. What version of the Word a person reads or listens to does not determine whether they are saved.

Everyone else should read the Pure Cambridge Authorized King James Version.

Now I'll explain why that is....

The reason is because the differences are profound, noticeable, and make a huge impact on the disobedience happening in the churches.

I'm confident that God does not approve of those corrupted versions of the Bible, which are loaded with lies that go against sound doctrine.

Really extreme examples of corruption include:

The glaringly obvious issues today of women being in leadership and men being emasculated, are hugely contributed to by the fact that people are using corrupted versions: NIV, NLT, and The Message.

The gender neutralization of the NLT,

The heinous corruption of Ephesians 5:22 found in the Message,

The removal of "repentance" from Matthew 9:13 in the entire modern line of translations.

[so, repentance of sin is removed from one verse, and Grace to save is removed from another!]

The removal of the Grace message from Luke 9:55-56 in the modern line.

The removal of the trinity/deity of Christ from 1John 5:7-8!

Anyone can go to the biblehub website and see comparisons of many versions for the 4 examples I just listed. Luke 9:56 Then he and his disciples went to another village.

You are going to see that Truth is frequently removed from the "modern line" translations. By the Fear of the Lord and the Holy Spirit within you, which are the source of wisdom, you know what the Truth is - and you will see the Truth frequently absent from the modern line.

Here is the theme you are going to be shocked to discover in the modern line of translations when compared to the proper body of scriptures used to compile the King James Version:

1. The doctrine of Repentance frequently removed from the modern line of translations.

2. The Doctrine of Grace also frequently removed from modern line!

3. Proper description of God's commands regarding women's role almost completely removed and/or bastardized in modern line. The message and The NLT are especially bad (both popular amongst women).

4. Trinity removed from modern line (the deity of Jesus).

There are multitudes of corrupted or omitted scriptures in the modern line and these 4 themes are prevalent in the decisions made for which scriptures the false believers decided to remove.

I think the modern line of translations were written by people who lacked wisdom, didn't know the Lord at the time they compiled those scriptures, and deliberately removed Truths they didn't like.

Now who doesn't like repentance, Grace, the Godly commands regarding how God wants women to live, and the deity of Jesus?

Well, my understanding of the Bible is that it tells us that it is false believers, anti-christs, false prophets, and condemned people who reject those things. It uses words like "fools," "godless," "stiff-necked," "heart-hearted," "ungodly," "sinners," "scornful," and "wicked" to describe people who reject those things.

So although I wasn't around at the time and never knew those people who compiled the corrupted body of scriptures used for the modern line of translations, and I can't say for sure who is/was saved, I can suppose that's who wrote the modern line of translations - Because believers don't want repentance, Grace, God's commands for women, or the deity of Christ removed from the Truth. On the contrary, the Word says those are the very things that save us.

That said, of course what version of the Bible the person reads is not what saves them, and I'm not part of any "King James only cult." What saves us is repentance unto salvation (Matthew 9:13), accepting/believing in Jesus (Romans 10:9-10), receiving the Holy Spirit (John 3:3 - being born anew), and walking in Truth (1John 2).

Although keep in mind that to see the Truth in the case of even some of those scriptures I've just listed, one needs to read them in the King James Version.

It seems to me it's also valuable to know Hebrew and Greek, and if we don't know those then to use a Lexicon and a Strong's, although I have found the truth comes through just in the King James alone, if we ask God for wisdom about it.

But the fact that we can still be saved regardless of which version of the Bible we read/listen to, and regardless of whether we can even read at all, doesn't change the fact that if people want to start seeing God's love and power show up in the churches more, then they want to start believing according to the actual Word and not the corrupted versions full of lies and omissions.

Upvote 0