Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe that Satan creates religions; I believe common sense (more often than not mixed with some superstition though) does. And common sense will tell you that actions matter. These religions acknowledge that; your typical Calvinist and Calvinist-lite Protestantism doesn't. Go to the Baptist church and they'll tell you that you don't need to live morally. While Jews and Buddhists will tell you that you do. Is that Satan? Of course not. That's the common sense that God gave us. Deep down we all know morality matters, no matter how much a corrupted church tries to convince us otherwise. So if any Protestant group is concerned that their people are interested in leaving for other religions, maybe they need to re-investigate what the Bible says about morality. Maybe start with Matthew 19 where Jesus tells the rich young ruler to "keep the commandments" and when asked "which ones?" he lists off the moral commandments.

Part of the problem is that most religions do not conceive of the goal of human life in categories that are necessarily analogous to Christianity.

Upvote 0

david shelby

Mar 14, 2019
USA
✟2,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Part of the problem is that most religions do not conceive of the goal of human life in categories that are necessarily analogous to Christianity.

What do you mean? Is this the Calvinist "Christianity isn't about making you a better moral person; its about predestination" argument?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think what attracts many people to pursue certain faiths, like Buddhism or Islam or Judaism for an example, is the appearance of self-made religion, with all of the aesthetic practices and traditions. If you attended a Baptist or Presbyterian Church, you may not be at all impressed. But, there seems to be this sort of beauty men find in the observances of these particular faiths that convinces them that there is something good and divine among them. It may even be the way the clergy expresses their mannerisms, how a certain building is constructed and looks, or even how organized the group is in all things.

It is then no surprise for someone to find a reason why these faiths should be followed, how their teachings are consistent, etc, etc. They want to believe it is true, because they are drawn to it. But, I don't think this is how Christians are suppose to find Christ. He is not to be found in these outward seductions, but in the very truth of his word. Do you think Satan would try to draw a crowd with unattractive means? No. He will use beauty to deceive many people to believe it is good, and point at the rudimentary nature of what truth embodies with slander.

What are your thoughts?

Yes and no. I think there is definitely some truth to that. I also have experienced that, for example, many Muslims are pretty strict about what Allah has decreed, and forbidden, no matter what century it is. Most Christians, though, seem extremely eager to explain away certain hard sayings in the New Testament with "times have changed", "oh, that's just Paul", or "we don't have to actually do any of that, as long as we believe". The obedience, fidelity, modesty, prayer lives, and knowledge of their own book attracted me to Muslims, and to Islam. Imho their mosques are also very beautiful. I went to a Baptist church, as a Muslim, with some Christian friends, and my first thought on entering the building was "they must not love their god very much at all; this place is so drab!" I know that's arguably a very vain and shallow thought, but I believe that God has given us an eye for beauty in order to draw us, and other souls, to Himself.

True, the real Treasure is in Christian hearts, not ultimately in architecture or outward beauty. And I could see that, immediately, even if I didn't want to. But if Christians, if more of us, lived the New Testament, lived as Christians, it would be harder for other faiths to draw people away.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you mean? Is this the Calvinist "Christianity isn't about making you a better moral person; its about predestination" argument?

You mentioned Buddhism, but characterizing it as a religion merely about moral improvement would be as wrong as characterizing Calvinism as a religion merely about predestination.

Calvinists do not teach a person should live an immoral life, but the impetus for that moral living is derived from a different motive than "earning ones salvation". Likewise, "earning ones salvation" is an incomprehensible concept in Buddhism. Good deeds can possibly lead to a better birth, but the final goal of Buddhism is no births at all, and deeds are not necessarily helpful at all there, what is needed is a change in consciousness away from reactivity and towards insight.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

david shelby

Mar 14, 2019
USA
✟2,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You mentioned Buddhism, but characterizing it as a religion merely about moral improvement would be as wrong as characterizing Calvinism as a religion merely about predestination.

Calvinists do not teach a person does not need to live morally, but the impetus for that moral living is derived from a different motive than "earning ones salvation". Likewise, "earning ones salvation" is an incomprehensible concept in Buddhism. Good deeds can possibly lead to a better birth, but the final goal of Buddhism is no births at all, and deeds are not necessarily helpful at all there, what is needed is a change in consciousness away from reactivity and towards insight.

It depends on what you call "deeds." Do internal deeds count as deeds? The ideas about extinguishing craving, for instance. From a strict faith-alone perspective, would we not hear that those are "works" like with the rabidly faith-alonist types who claim "repentance from sin is heresy" (think Pastor Steven Anderson, for instance, or anyone else who would label a requirement of repentance as "adding to the finished work of Christ"). So, I think the Buddhist notion of letting go of lust and craving for things of the world (which honestly is similar to 1 John 2:15-17 when you think about it) would be considered "works" by much of Protestantism.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It depends on what you call "deeds." Do internal deeds count as deeds? The ideas about extinguishing craving, for instance. From a strict faith-alone perspective, would we not hear that those are "works" like with the rabidly faith-alonist types who claim "repentance from sin is heresy" (think Pastor Steven Anderson, for instance, or anyone else who would label a requirement of repentance as "adding to the finished work of Christ"). So, I think the Buddhist notion of letting go of lust and craving for things of the world (which honestly is similar to 1 John 2:15-17 when you think about it) would be considered "works" by much of Protestantism.

And that would be a simplistic understanding of what non-attachment means. You'ld be confusing it with medieval Catholic notions of asceticism, which would not be surprising since that is what Protestantism emerged from. It has far more to do with what Jesus preached in the Sermon on the Mount, about being like the lillies of the field.

When Protestants speak of works, we do not necessarily mean that salvation exists as an abstraction that is disembodied and doesn't personally involve us. That very idea goes against Lutheranism's sacramental nature. Works have a specific religious meaning in Protestantism and should not be over-generalized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I think what attracts many people to pursue certain faiths, like Buddhism or Islam or Judaism for an example, is the appearance of self-made religion, with all of the aesthetic practices and traditions. If you attended a Baptist or Presbyterian Church, you may not be at all impressed. But, there seems to be this sort of beauty men find in the observances of these particular faiths that convinces them that there is something good and divine among them. It may even be the way the clergy expresses their mannerisms, how a certain building is constructed and looks, or even how organized the group is in all things.

It is then no surprise for someone to find a reason why these faiths should be followed, how their teachings are consistent, etc, etc. They want to believe it is true, because they are drawn to it. But, I don't think this is how Christians are suppose to find Christ. He is not to be found in these outward seductions, but in the very truth of his word. Do you think Satan would try to draw a crowd with unattractive means? No. He will use beauty to deceive many people to believe it is good, and point at the rudimentary nature of what truth embodies with slander.

What are your thoughts?

I have been wondering about this myself, and I believe you might have nailed it. There are a lot of good and unfortunately vulnerable people who are hungering for more in their lives and are sadly being sucked into it, and eventually fully indoctrinated by it. I am very familiar of the impact it can make, and not for the better. I went to high school with a guy who was raised in a Christian household, but started studying Eastern religions in college, then got confused and sadly committed suicide at the age of 19. Very unfortunate as I remember he was an honor student who seemed to have a lot going for him. It saddened me when I heard the news.

I can't say that all of this surprises me much, especially in cases of those who say they have "tried Christianity" and "felt empty". But I think that it's because some of them (not all) have been exposed to legalism and a so-called "spirit of religion" within the Christian faith, and it turns them off, leading them to conclude that there is "much more" than what they would call "religious fluff". That means it would have to take a special person to be able to minister to them in ways they can relate (of course without compromising the Word of God) and lead them to the truth that is only found in God's Word. There are also many who have turned from the New Age movement to Christianity with well-documented testimonies of how the NAM ruined them, and what made them turn to faith in Christ. This should give us hope regarding our own loved ones who are currently going down the dangerous paths of false religions that they, too, can be changed by the saving grace of Jesus.

I don't wish for debate; this is just my elaboration based on my own personal experiences.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sin.

People have a difficult time wrapping their head around their own depravity. No one wants to admit they are "dead in their sin". To them a sinner is the rapist or murderer over there, because they compare man to man to look for sin, instead of comparing man to God.

When and if they do compare themselves with God and see themselves they often are repulsed by and reject what they see. It's the most difficult truth there is, and covering your ears and eyes to that truth is the easiest thing there is to do. Far easier than the sackcloth and ashes our sin deserves.

That said, when you do that within Christianity, the faith itself continues to show you your own fault, and leaves the sinner feeling separated from God and/or in some way unable to stand, empty, since in order to embrace God one must necessarily embrace the truth.

Which leaves people empty, and so they embrace world systems that either don't show them their fault, or tells them their best is good enough for heaven.

Of course, this thought process was just my first impressions, my initial thoughts after reading your OP, and sure if I gave this prayer or deeper consideration I would probably have a more refined view that would be more inline with scripture.

But automatically my response is sin is the answer, and people's response to seeing their own sin in light of the God of the Heavens and the Earth. Some people run from that picture of self...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are your thoughts?

In all honesty, I think it has very little to do with any deep philosophical reasoning. For most, it's "I want to do what I want with my wallet and zipper."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The number reason I heard consistently in every path was tolerance. Control often came next. There are many people who were raised in the Church or who attended as adults and left at some point.

There is often a greater want for discovery and less reliance on outside experiences. Not that they don’t have weight. But relationships must be forged and nurtured. You can’t stake your trust on your neighbor’s words. You need your own to fall back on.

Those with a propensity towards individualism will have challenges putting the group before themselves. They’re commonly not religious and identify as spiritual instead.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

What are your thoughts?

There are two religions available to men:

1) Self-justification through rituals, and practices

2) Justification through faith in the work of Christ

The unregenerate man cannot accept the latter. He must chose the former.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What are your thoughts?

It is friends that attracts people to other religions.

Playing with Strangers: Which Shared Traits Attract Us Most to New People?
Ideology and Recruitment in Religious Groups on JSTOR

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums