North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Right now we're studying pastoral care, so the books I'm reading at the moment reflect that:

Being There: Pastoral Care in Time of Illness - Peter Speck
Cicely Saunders: The Founder of the Modern Hospice Movement - Shirley du Boulay

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I finished The Children of Húrin about three weeks ago.

What I want to read next, is not out yet. So for now, I've been rereading the last two Harry Potter books, the entire The Oxford Guide to the Book of Common Prayer, and been watching Xena: Warrior Princess on TV.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
This sounds really good. I ordered it from Amazon and should get it monday. It might make a good birthday gift for my priest, is what I'm thinking.

I'm also reading "Barefoot in the Church", which is a 1971 study of the then-emerging house church movement in the U.S. It's interesting from a historical perspective to review how significant race relations were seen to be as a measure of the church's outreach relevance. It's also very characteristic of the youth movement of the the time: none of the change being described or speculated upon is led by anyone over the age of 30.

What's sad is to see how relatively little impact the house-church movement has actually had on the much-needed revitalisation of the Church. As you know, we're struggling with the lack of relevant outreach in our church community, and in particular struggling against the an entrenched unwillingness by members our elderly and retired demographic (not by any means by ALL members of that demographic, many of whom are just as frustrated by their peers obstructionism as are the rest of us). Our anti-outreach lobby interestingly includes NO youth, NO young adults, and NO middle-aged adults. Our current problematic anti-change lobby would have been the "over thirty" crowd who are so obviously unrepresented in Barefoot -- and they're still holding the Body back (with the help of the Church establishment, I'm afraid, in our case the pastor)!

I finished Year this morning, and needing a book for the return flight (and having access to a decent airport bookstore this time) I picked up "The Faith Club" which is a memoire of an interfaith project carried out in 2001 out by a Muslim woman, a Jewish woman, and an Episcopalian woman, in the aftermath of the World Trade Centre attack. The project was initiated by the Muslim woman, and I was looking for a book from an Islamic perspective, so it seemed to fit: it was a pleasant surprise that the Christian perspective being given in the book was specifically Episcopal.

The surprise I'm finding in reading the book is how similar it is in context (though not content) to Year. The authors are all New York City residents, and they are all very secular: the Muslim woman doesn't practice salat or zaka, hasn't made hajj, and doesn't actually fast for Ramadan. The Jewish woman is agnostic. The Christian woman, the most religious of the three, says she doesn't even know anyone who goes to church every week! It seems to me that, far from actually grappling with the similarities and compatibilities in the three different great Abrahamic faiths, they're actually just encountering the similarities in three slightly different flavours of urban New York secularism. But I am only about a quarter of the way into the book, so these are just first impressions.

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

I'm also reading "Barefoot in the Church", which is a 1971 study of the then-emerging house church movement in the U.S. It's interesting from a historical perspective to review how significant race relations were seen to be as a measure of the church's outreach relevance. It's also very characteristic of the youth movement of the the time: none of the change being described or speculated upon is led by anyone over the age of 30.

What's sad is to see how relatively little impact the house-church movement has actually had on the much-needed revitalisation of the Church. As you know, we're struggling with the lack of relevant outreach in our church community, and in particular struggling against the an entrenched unwillingness by members our elderly and retired demographic (not by any means by ALL members of that demographic, many of whom are just as frustrated by their peers obstructionism as are the rest of us). Our anti-outreach lobby interestingly includes NO youth, NO young adults, and NO middle-aged adults. Our current problematic anti-change lobby would have been the "over thirty" crowd who are so obviously unrepresented in Barefoot -- and they're still holding the Body back (with the help of the Church establishment, I'm afraid, in our case the pastor)!

I wasn't aware that the house church movement included apostolic churches? I thought it was more of an evangelical thing. I suppose as long as there was a suitable altar, it could work, but how many people are willing to set up an oratory in their own homes dedicated solely for use by a Priest?

Upvote 0

Tomoz

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
May 18, 2006
✟8,351.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Right now we're studying pastoral care, so the books I'm reading at the moment reflect that:

Being There: Pastoral Care in Time of Illness - Peter Speck
Cicely Saunders: The Founder of the Modern Hospice Movement - Shirley du Boulay

I'm reading "Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work" by Eugene Peterson - it was recommended to me and I haven't really got into the meat of it yet, but I like his ideas of rooting pastoral work in the bible first and foremost, rather than modern psychology.
I'm also reading "The New Testament and the People of God" by me old mate Bishop Tom - brilliant. He's really smart.
And Hebrews too. But not in greek :)

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm reading "Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work" by Eugene Peterson - it was recommended to me and I haven't really got into the meat of it yet, but I like his ideas of rooting pastoral work in the bible first and foremost, rather than modern psychology.
I've got this - I've borrowed it, actually, from my vicar. So far I've only read the chapter that is relevant to Ecclesiastes, for an essay I did last summer, but I've noticed it is also on our booklist for Pastoral and Practical Theology, which is what we're on this term. So I'll dig into that a bit more, too, I'm sure.

I'm also reading "The New Testament and the People of God" by me old mate Bishop Tom - brilliant. He's really smart.
I've also got that. I've referenced parts of it in couple of essays, but haven't really read the whole thing start to finish.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
I wasn't aware that the house church movement included apostolic churches? I thought it was more of an evangelical thing. I suppose as long as there was a suitable altar, it could work, but how many people are willing to set up an oratory in their own homes dedicated solely for use by a Priest?
Well, Barefoot in the Church is published by the Presbyterian church, which is the only indication so far of the denominational affiliation of the "Trinity Church" house churches whose story makes up the central thread of the book. But a number of other house churches are consulted by the leaders of Trinity Church and referenced by the author of Barefoot, including both Episcopalian and Roman Catholic. That last surprised me, but I've known for years of the existance of Anglican house churches -- we even have one in this city.

But none of the house-churches mentioned are particularly Anglo-Catholic. All that is required for valid consecration of the Eucharist is bread and wine, an ordained priest, the presence of at least one other baptized person, and the Communion liturgy. A dedicated oratory is adiaphoric. Sticklers for tradition will insist on a "fair linen cloth" to cover the alter as demanded by the rubrics of the prayer book, but its absence doesn't invalidate the sacrament.

Still, the Eucharist is meant to be a sacrament of the Body rather than a private sacrament. I think that's the reason behind the byzantine development on things like dedicated oratoria -- so that the sacraments don't get co-opted into small cliques. Barefoot does get into a discussion of what gatherings constitute "Church" to the degree that they are an appropriate venue for the celebration of the Eucharist. Interestingly by that definition, our Altar Guild who hold their weekly "Altar Guild Corporate Eucharist" in the Church building but very much as a closed community, would not qualify. But then, only a very brave priest ever defies the Altar Guild, so they will probably continue to hold their corporate eucharist for the indefinate future.

Part of the early discussion in Barefoot also gets into the nature of house churches in various historical periods, and the fact that part of the norm is indeed the conversion or setting-aside of portions of the house, for dedicated Church use.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.