What are you politically?

What best describes your political beliefs?

• Far Right

• Conservative

• Middle of the Road

• Liberal

• Far Left

Results are only viewable after voting.

two feathers

of the wilderness
Apr 22, 2002
A broken world
✟9,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by gwyyn
I'm really am one of those who believes if you don't vote then just I don't wanna hear you gripe about the government.

are you saying if a person takes a stand and refuses to vote into power a lesser of two evils, that their opinion isn't worthy of being heard?

Upvote 0

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by lared
None of the above.
As a Christian, I am no part of this world and thus do not get involved in its politics or military ventures.
You may have the same feeling if you visited a big city as a tourist. No doubt you do not care to get involved with the various gangs and their power struggles over the right to rule various 'turfs.'
My king is Jesus Christ and my set of laws is found in the Bible.
I respect the country I live in, or the country I may visit on occassion, but I do not involve myself with the various political or social agendas.
Only God's Kingdom will be able to solve mankind's problems.

I would have to saw I agree with this stance. I do however take notice inwhat the world is doing. So I am informed, but it is ALL in Gods hands, he works out side of the worlds ways and He has his own "economy".

God Bless: EJO

Upvote 0

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
Wouldn't it have been ridiculous to get involved in politics or even care to get involved one way or another before the great Flood in Noah's day.

We live in a parallel time period. Soon, God is going to intervene in mankind's affairs and even crush and destroy all man-made governments.

Daniel 2:44:

(Daniel 2:44) "And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite;

If you say the Lord's prayer and pray for God's kingdom (government) to come......why would you then turn around the next day and desire another government to rule this way or that way.

Does it not make more sense to find out the will of God and then do it........rather then the will of men?.......like Noah.

(1 John 2:17) Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Brimshack
I'm too cynical to advocate any politics faithfully, but I am generally more opposed to conservatoive politics than liberal ones. I tend to oppose liberal policies because I think they rarely accomplish what they are intended to, whereas I tend to oppose conservative policies because I fear that they will accomplish exactly what they are intended to.

Brilliant! 

Actually there are (at least) two forms of conservatism.  Whiggery, or pragmatic conservatism, embraces social change and accomodates it.  Paleoconservatism advocates rolling back progress.  It is obvious that now in this country we have a Whig administration.  An example of a paleo- concept would be that of Tom Delay when he (a graduate of Baylor, a leading Baptist University) and whose daughter went to Texas A & M, in addressing a conference of theocratic activists to not send their kids to Baylor or A & M because they won't learn "conservative values" there.  Of course it is doubtful that students at either school ever did to the extent Delay thinks they did.  This type of ideology, especially on social issues, is essentially a nostalgia for a time that never was.

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
See the 'at least' in Lynn's post Louis? I think that opens things up to other possibilities. As does her description of Whiggishness. As for the description of paleoconservatives, yes it decribes a stereotype; one that does accurately describe some conservatives. She did not assert that it applies to all conservatives. Since the thrust of her post did seem to be intriducing a distinction that I had glosed over it seems a bit ironic to blast her for promoting stereotypes on this one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gwyyn

May 24, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟16,071.00
Faith
Christian
You know seems like your sterotyped depending on your relgion,  stereotyped depending which way u lean in politics, sterotyped by what brand clothing you wear, stereotyped by what kinda vehicle you drive.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, probaly even stereotyped by the way you argue on these forums.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟21,635.00
Faith
Pagan
Wouldn't it have been ridiculous to get involved in politics or even care to get involved one way or another before the great Flood in Noah's day.

We live in a parallel time period. Soon, God is going to intervene in mankind's affairs and even crush and destroy all man-made governments. 

God's "soon" seems to be rather nebulous at best. He's been coming "soon" for the last 2000 years or so. There's no reason to believe he won't take another 2000 years more, or 4000, or 40,000. In the meantime we have a society to take care of.

Voting is a responsibility. If you don't believe any of the candidates speaks for you then go down and cast a blank ballot, or a write in ballot for someone you think would do better. At least make the effort to vote in some way. Those who vote have the right to criticise, IMHO.

Upvote 0

lared

May 27, 2002
Visit site
✟1,291.00
Havoc,

I did vote. I voted for Christ Jesus at my baptism.
And I am politically involved. I encourage others to look to God's Kingdom as the supreme government and only solution to mankinds' ills.
At the same time, I help others to lead a better life by implementing God's laws, commandments, and principles in their lives.
It is obvious to millions around the earth, that something is fundamentally wrong with this world and that from every aspect, conditions are deteriorating.
No doubt, prior to the flood, there was great apathy, (that there would never be a flood, at least in their lifetime).....but the increased crime and violence and moral decay in those days should have been the handwriting on the wall.
Here are a couple of scriptures to ponder over:

(Ecclesiastes 8:9) All this I have seen, and there was an applying of my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, [during] the time that man has dominated man to his injury.

(Psalm 146:3) Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.

Lared

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jon1101

Dec 31, 2001
Hillsdale, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,871.00
Faith
Christian
Cancer,
The ones found in the Bible, pertaining to Christians.
Lared

Okay I have some questions. Tell me, what of the following?

Deuteronomy 13: 6-9   If you very own brother, or you son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the earth to the other), do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people.

Exodus 21:20-21  If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

Furthermore, are you suggesting that Christianity ought to be enforced by some form of earthly sovereignty or that we should just abolish government and have God be the sovereign?

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by gwyyn
You know seems like your sterotyped depending on your relgion,  stereotyped depending which way u lean in politics, sterotyped by what brand clothing you wear, stereotyped by what kinda vehicle you drive. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, probaly even stereotyped by the way you argue on these forums.

Well, that's what perplexes me so much about Outspoken's one-note criticism of me.  Everyone's an individual and no one is anything 100%.  Even in The Almanac of American Politics ratings a guy like Jesse Helms is charted as 10% liberal or an ultra-liberal like Jesse Jackson Jr. is 10% conservative.

I post on other forums dominated by conservatives;  I'm a liberal with various exceptions like I'm pro-gun within reason, pro-death penalty, and pro-1996 welfare reform.  some guys' response on most things is (1) I express a liberal position so I'm an idiot; (2) I express a more conservative position on one of the above issues or another and they fall over themselves praising me; (3) I express a liberal position later on so I'm an idiot again.

Brand of clothing:  whatever's on sale.  I don't like stuff with the designer's label real big because I'm not a billboard.  I like T-shirts that give a message but am careful depending on where I'm going.  I have one with John Stuart Mill and his quote "I will not say all conservatives are stupid people, however, most stupid people are conservatives."  I like to wear that one when we go south on I-35 toward where my parents and in-laws live and it's been fun thing to have somebody approach me to try and read the whole thing at the truck stop for instance.

Car:  a 2002 Chevy Cavalier and a 1997 Chevy Pickup.  We believe in buying American even if they're Canadian-made.  Used to have a 1992 green Dodge Caravan with a "Hillary U.S. Senate" sticker that we drove to Mississippi a couple of summers ago.  It finally died over in Lake Worth this past spring.

How I argue:  one can take a position on issues based on morals, individual interest, or adherence to tradition;  I'm a moralistic believer so sometimes hyperbole based on fervor comes out. 

Upvote 0

gwyyn

May 24, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟16,071.00
Faith
Christian
lol texas, wasn't meaning that toward anybody in particular, just stating doesn't matter which side the road u walk on someones always got a remark.

and as for me,  jeans and tee shirt/sweatshirt  and Chevrolet Trailblazer (finally got a brand new car woohooo, thanks to 0% financing)

Upvote 0