South-Central Indiana
✟7,621.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i tend to juggle a couple at a time, Stephen King - Rose Madder and Goethe-The Sorrows of Young Werther....also rereading the Harry Potter series ahaha ^^

I tend to "juggle" a few at a time also! I just finished "In My Master's Hand" (Christian fantasy), am about halfway through "Harsh Cry Of The Heron" (Samurai/Shogun epic) and have started "Fire And Fury" (history of the allied strategic bombing offensive during WWII).

Maybe there's something wrong with me? I'm usually reading several books at a time. No, it isn't a commitment problem! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Flutters

Jul 5, 2009
England, good ol' land of terrible weather extreme
✟15,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I tend to "juggle" a few at a time also! I just finished "In My Master's Hand" (Christian fantasy), am about halfway through "Harsh Cry Of The Heron" (Samurai/Shogun epic) and have started "Fire And Fury" (history of the allied strategic bombing offensive during WWII).

Maybe there's something wrong with me? I'm usually reading several books at a time. No, it isn't a commitment problem! ;)

ahahahaha ^_^ a commitment problem...jakers, it would make sense for me if my commitment issues flood all the way through to my reading !!

oooh - i too read In My Master's Hand , a friend from church recommended it, admittedly i didn't think there woudl be much to any Christian fantasy or any type of Christian orientated book (besides the Bible :angel: ) ..how niave is that ...whatt did you think of the book??

Upvote 0

dunadan1963

Aug 7, 2009
South-Central Indiana
✟7,621.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ahahahaha ^_^ a commitment problem...jakers, it would make sense for me if my commitment issues flood all the way through to my reading !!

oooh - i too read In My Master's Hand , a friend from church recommended it, admittedly i didn't think there woudl be much to any Christian fantasy or any type of Christian orientated book (besides the Bible :angel: ) ..how niave is that ...whatt did you think of the book??

I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but good. The pace was good (it maintains a fast pace) and there was lots of action (a guy thing, I admit it!). I liked the main character, Thandor, a lot. He's armed to the teeth and kicks butt (that's 'bum' to you in the UK I guess!), but he's a protective figure that is also a mentor. His violence is purposeful, he's not killing just for the fun of it. He follows a code of conduct and is a man of honor. The major theme was servanthood and submitting yourself to something greater than simply your own desires, goals, fears. It was a 'choice' he had to make. At many points in the story, it talks about making decisions of ones own free will to follow God's will for their lives.

I liked the fact that it tries to address the issue of "just war" - something that men from Thomas Aquinas to Pope John Paul II have thought about. The magical elements are tied back to the 'God' in the Fantasy, who is referred to as "The Creator" or "That Above". The wizard (the author spells it 'wysard' - I got on the internet and apparently that's the old-english spelling of the word) is interesting in that he is a guiding force for others rather than someone who is always making fire come from his fingertips to roast the bad dudes. I thought the bears were very cool...and funny! ;)

The romance was kinda tame, but much like that in previous eras of writing or movies. It focuses on emotion and feeling rather than sex. I thought it was original in the way it was presented. The main character is *not* handsome, young Prince Charming. Instead, Thandor is a scarred veteran of a thousand combats who is older than the "damsel in distress". Instead of immediately falling in love, there's a lot of tension between them. Aethelflaed is frankly scared of him. For his part, Thandor tries not even to look at her or think about her, knowing the obvious differences between them.

The ending was satisfying in that it seemed to be saying "Seek ye first the Kingdom Of God and all these things shall be added unto you." I thought the author made a mistake in obviously leading one to believe there would be a sequel. But, on the other hand, I didn't hate Star Wars because Darth Vader spun out into the universe at the end and you knew he'd be back!

I guess I'd class it like a good Louis L'amour western: not going to win any literary awards, but lots of entertaining fun and a lot of good messages woven into the fabric! :D

Upvote 0

JaredHughBohland

Jared Hugh Bohland
Aug 12, 2009
Smyrna, TN
Visit site
✟7,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been reading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis. His arguments and view points on the very basic beliefs in Christianity are really profound. It really helps you step back and see what is really important about your faith. Saying that, it really helps you put away the stupid arguments between denominations in Christianity. I am loving it so far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Right now I'm reading "fingersmith" - Sarah Waters. It's loooooooong...

It's a good book, though. Frustrating, but good.

I just finished Karin Slaughter's Kisscut, and I think I'm about to start Marilynne Robinson's Gilead.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.