✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what are you preparing for?
What were the people in California prepping for when they got hit with fire and then water? What were the people in Texas prepping for when the storms of life hit them? What were the people in the Florida Keys prepping for when the storm hit there. OR the people in Puerto Rico.

I remember going to a theater to see a movie called 2012. Then one day I could not sleep and I turned the TV on in the middle of the night and what was going on in Japan looked just like that movie. Perhaps the movie make it look like the disaster was world wide and it only hit Japan. But the world is effected because we received so much from Japan before they were hit.

David Wilkerson use to talk about 1500 fires in one night. This has actually happened in two different places Haiti and Detroit have actually seen that many fires in one night. Only he said the prophecy was for NYC and that has not happened there. Even when 9/11 took place and the twin towers were destroyed he still claimed that the real disaster was still to come.

Clearly someone somewhere is going to go through disaster and if it did not happen to us then we should be grateful that we built upon a sure foundation and we did not build on the sand

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for money. Don't depend upon it.
This is why people use to collect guns and knives. They figure there will always be value for a knife. If people are still alive they will needs knives and they will trade what they have for what you have.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes and I hear today's population in the USA are keen for coffee :D

You can guarantee that you will come up against more adversaries with knives than firearms; already there are xx times more homicides here from the use of a knife than from a firearm.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and I hear today's population in the USA are keen for coffee :D

You can guarantee that you will come up against more adversaries with knives than firearms; already there are xx times more homicides here from the use of a knife than from a firearm.
I sold knives for 20 years. People have a choice. A knife in the hand of a surgeon can bring healing. A butcher uses a knife to give us food to eat. A carpenter uses a knife to give us a home to live in and shelter from the storms of life. A saw blade actually has 80 knife blades in it.

A knife can be used for good or for harm. So each individual has a choice to make.

Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why we prep...
Happens every day. Happening right now.

82055.jpg

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Other things to prep for food and fuel purchases.

Part of my CERT experience gave me access to a little published local pamphlet that lists the names and addresses/ phone numbers of STORES that have their own generators and GAS STATIONS that have hand crank accessible fuel pumps and of course a way to pay when there is no power.

Guaranteed they will run out of food and fuel (maybe 3 days' supply in store and 12 hours at fuel pumps BUT if you have your BOB and hit them early, you can get enough to get outta dodge!

I always refuel my van before half tank. Better gas mileage and can get a few hundred miles away without refueling.

Remember to have a supply of small bills (under $20 size) .... most people will not! I have been in a line with a wrapped $100 in ONES and because I offered to make change for the STORE, I got to go to the front of the line. (no one else could buy bc store didn't have small change).

Just think about things.... and enlighten us when you get an "AH HA!" moment to share. :D

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am non-Prepper. The only one I know is my grandmother, a very old woman who obsesses over the "end times" without ever really explaining what she's concerned about it. We moved her into a retirement home so she can't horde stuff (most of her "stock" wasn't essentials like food).

I ask this question because while I can see why people would prep for anything, my only experience has been with people who were too mentally "off" to really give a concrete answer. I know my grandmother has an idea of the "apocalypse" in her head, but it's too vague.

So what are you preparing for? A natural disaster? The rapture? Some sort of chaotic pre-Rapture that you want to outlast before God teleports you to Heaven? Anarchy? An authoritarian government? Foreign invasion? There's lots of things to prepare for, but I want to understand why.
Have you ever been post hurricane or earthquake? After Rita we had 9 days without electricity. Food was scarce. Thankfully they had emergency generators at the pumps.

But, let me relate to you something worth prepping for because this could cause damage to our systems that might last your entire lifetime.
Solar storm of 1859
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The solar storm of 1859 (also known as the Carrington Event)[1] was a powerful geomagnetic solar storm during solar cycle 10 (1855–1867). A solar coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetosphere and induced one of the largest geomagnetic storms on record, September 1–2, 1859. The associated "white light flare" in the solar photosphere was observed and recorded by British astronomers Richard C. Carrington (1826–1875) and Richard Hodgson (1804–1872). The now-standard unique IAU identifier for this flare is SOL1859-09-01.

A solar storm of this magnitude occurring today would cause widespread disruptions and damage to a modern and technology-dependent society.

That is something we could not fully prepare for, nor could we recover from very quickly. The fact is that a loss of all computers on the solar side of the storm would cause a cascade effect of electrical grid, melt down of nuclear power, a lot of things we civilians don't think about.

A similar event would be a EMP from an exploded bomb launched by a rogue government trying to take over power and THAT is a real possibility. So there are reasons to consider prepping, if nothing else then for a hurricane or earthquake like the on in Japan or that hit New Orleans.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks... all true.
There is also rumor that Russia has developed a non-nuclear device that can create an EMP event localized to a targeted area. Such an event would put any developed country back to pre-electricity/pre-refrigeration/pre-trucking days. Think 1880s.
The name of the game is now and will be... not survival... but self sufficiency. That is something we can be working toward now. I estimate, conservatively, that it would take 3 years to achieve self sufficency from scratch. But you can start that now.... no need for stuff to hit the fan. I will be in my back yard tilling and adding Black Kow. Should have several dozen tomato, pepper, beans, squash, etc in the ground by Friday. Looking forward to a good harvest this year. Not self sufficient yet.. but in 2 years! Yes.
Have you ever been post hurricane or earthquake? After Rita we had 9 days without electricity. Food was scarce. Thankfully they had emergency generators at the pumps.

But, let me relate to you something worth prepping for because this could cause damage to our systems that might last your entire lifetime.
Solar storm of 1859
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The solar storm of 1859 (also known as the Carrington Event)[1] was a powerful geomagnetic solar storm during solar cycle 10 (1855–1867). A solar coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetosphere and induced one of the largest geomagnetic storms on record, September 1–2, 1859. The associated "white light flare" in the solar photosphere was observed and recorded by British astronomers Richard C. Carrington (1826–1875) and Richard Hodgson (1804–1872). The now-standard unique IAU identifier for this flare is SOL1859-09-01.

A solar storm of this magnitude occurring today would cause widespread disruptions and damage to a modern and technology-dependent society.

That is something we could not fully prepare for, nor could we recover from very quickly. The fact is that a loss of all computers on the solar side of the storm would cause a cascade effect of electrical grid, melt down of nuclear power, a lot of things we civilians don't think about.

A similar event would be a EMP from an exploded bomb launched by a rogue government trying to take over power and THAT is a real possibility. So there are reasons to consider prepping, if nothing else then for a hurricane or earthquake like the on in Japan or that hit New Orleans.

Upvote 0

CassiusCritzer

Apr 11, 2018
Kentucky
✟1,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My grandparents( and I am an old man) had a pantry. As did all their neighbors. Why? Because just about everyone had a victory garden back in the day and even prior. This was entirely normal. The idea that having surplus food was a routine practice from 1607-1955.

What the heck. If you think it's silly well, after 1955 a bunch of young people who were hippies began studying ancestral skills and they lived in communes and the way they could afford to live was through ancestral skills. And after that imploded the same hippies started the Back to the Land Movement and a whole new round of homesteading began in the early seventies. That persisted and many started herb businesses and selling to restaurants, and that is the origin for organic gardening. That is how Mother Earth News got started. That is how health food stores and Whole Foods and Wild Oats got started.

That persisted and vegans began and many vegetarians and new people went off the grid and bought new homesteads, and then people reclaimed old neighborhoods, and did urban homesteads. Then guerrilla gardening got started.

Just because you don't have a pantry doesn't mean that is normal. In fact the opposite is true as throughout the entirety of US history having a pantry was normal.

The primary way to prep is not thousands of dollars of freeze dried food. Nor is it important to buy every gadget and doodad as an equalizer. The primary way is for young fella and his sweet wife to be frugal. When young you are broke and busting your buns always working mountains of overtime and then repairing everything yourself. No one in my generation just called a handyman to fix things in their homes. Either you fixed it or it stayed broke. And that was wiring or appliance repair or the car or the sink or whatever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My grandparents( and I am an old man) had a pantry. As did all their neighbors. Why? Because just about everyone had a victory garden back in the day and even prior. This was entirely normal. The idea that having surplus food was a routine practice from 1607-1955.

What the heck. If you think it's silly well, after 1955 a bunch of young people who were hippies began studying ancestral skills and they lived in communes and the way they could afford to live was through ancestral skills. And after that imploded the same hippies started the Back to the Land Movement and a whole new round of homesteading began in the early seventies. That persisted and many started herb businesses and selling to restaurants, and that is the origin for organic gardening. That is how Mother Earth News got started. That is how health food stores and Whole Foods and Wild Oats got started.

That persisted and vegans began and many vegetarians and new people went off the grid and bought new homesteads, and then people reclaimed old neighborhoods, and did urban homesteads. Then guerrilla gardening got started.

Just because you don't have a pantry doesn't mean that is normal. In fact the opposite is true as throughout the entirety of US history having a pantry was normal.

The primary way to prep is not thousands of dollars of freeze dried food. Nor is it important to buy every gadget and doodad as an equalizer. The primary way is for young fella and his sweet wife to be frugal. When young you are broke and busting your buns always working mountains of overtime and then repairing everything yourself. No one in my generation just called a handyman to fix things in their homes. Either you fixed it or it stayed broke. And that was wiring or appliance repair or the car or the sink or whatever.
I grew up on the Sabine River. Fishing, hunting, shrimping were not for fun. It was to put food on the table. We shrimped and sold a lot of it to our neighbors for .50/lb. Then went back fishing with gas money. We dragged seines for bait to fish with. My brother and I hunted rabbits at night and squirrels by day from a boat in the winter, spotlighted bull frogs and fished in the summer. And every other winter we built a new boat using what was then cheap AC fir plywood with redwood ribs. Out outboards came out of the junk piles and we would mix and match until we had something running. We stood with one grandmother at the back of a truck behind the social security office for government commodities and helped our other grandmother weed the gardens and pick and snap beans, shuck corn, and can pears and beans and carrots. And I wouldn't trade any minute of that for this social media trash today. And on Sunday, when at my grandmothers for the summer (by choice) we walked 2 miles through the woods to church and sang hymns and went to VBS in a building that had stood since WWII. Air conditioning was paper folded into a fan and the speed was controlled by the heat. The hotter it got the faster the fans went. I loved every minute of it and thank God for it becasue I learned the value of life and of love.

• Agree
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

CassiusCritzer

Apr 11, 2018
Kentucky
✟1,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I grew up on the Sabine River. Fishing, hunting, shrimping were not for fun. It was to put food on the table. We shrimped and sold a lot of it to our neighbors for .50/lb. Then went back fishing with gas money. We dragged seines for bait to fish with. My brother and I hunted rabbits at night and squirrels by day from a boat in the winter, spotlighted bull frogs and fished in the summer. And every other winter we built a new boat using what was then cheap AC fir plywood with redwood ribs. Out outboards came out of the junk piles and we would mix and match until we had something running. We stood with one grandmother at the back of a truck behind the social security office for government commodities and helped our other grandmother weed the gardens and pick and snap beans, shuck corn, and can pears and beans and carrots. And I wouldn't trade any minute of that for this social media trash today. And on Sunday, when at my grandmothers for the summer (by choice) we walked 2 miles through the woods to church and sang hymns and went to VBS in a building that had stood since WWII. Air conditioning was paper folded into a fan and the speed was controlled by the heat. The hotter it got the faster the fans went. I loved every minute of it and thank God for it becasue I learned the value of life and of love.
Amen Brother. Preach on! That sounds like a heap of good old country common sense. That is music to my ears.

Upvote 0

CassiusCritzer

Apr 11, 2018
Kentucky
✟1,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Zerohedge is reporting that Russian TV is telling their viewers to stock food and especially water. There is deep concern of a nuclear conflict over Syria. The USSR was as heavily involved with Syria in response to the USA being heavily involved with Israel. Afterwards Russia maintained the extraordinarily close ties.
Russian TV Instructs Citizens How To Prepare Bomb Shelters For Nuclear War

Looks like DEFCON levels are going to change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CassiusCritzer

Apr 11, 2018
Kentucky
✟1,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CassiusCritzer

Apr 11, 2018
Kentucky
✟1,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Apparently the US was at DEFCON 4 due to Syria. NBC is reporting that this was just raised to DEFCON 3.

Four star General Jack Keane says there is no political solution and we are on the brink of war.

It appears this now has exceeded the Cuban Missile Crisis tension. It will be Israel versus Syria and Lebanon and Hezbollah and Iran.

Germany and Italy are refusing to back the potential US airstrikes but France seems to be supporting it as they have proof they are sitting on. China is backing up Russia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I live in an apartment, in a small rural town. I have noticed that every time it is about to snow, there is a run on the one grocery store we have in town. I live a quarter mile from that store, have no vehicle and depend upon public transit. Were there to be any kind of weather emergency, transit goes down. (I am in my mid 60s) and I cannot carry food from the grocery for more than a day's worth or so. That is, IF there even is any food at the grocery.

The summer before last we had a time of almost no rain. Forest fires ravaged a town not far from here!!! (I live in a National Forest). We were told we might need to evacuate. The reservour was down low and they said it might run out!

So I have a back pack with a few days supplies in it and also about 2 weeks or more of food stored in my apartment. I also have a portable water straw filter and a bottle to store water in that straps to my waist.

I have water filters and I plan to store gallons of water too. They say you need about a gallon per day per person. I have a fish tank and a pet guinea pig too. So I might even need more than a gallon a day.

Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I live in an apartment, in a small rural town. I have noticed that every time it is about to snow, there is a run on the one grocery store we have in town. I live a quarter mile from that store, have no vehicle and depend upon public transit. Were there to be any kind of weather emergency, transit goes down. (I am in my mid 60s) and I cannot carry food from the grocery for more than a day's worth or so. That is, IF there even is any food at the grocery.

The summer before last we had a time of almost no rain. Forest fires ravaged a town not far from here!!! (I live in a National Forest). We were told we might need to evacuate. The reservour was down low and they said it might run out!

So I have a back pack with a few days supplies in it and also about 2 weeks or more of food stored in my apartment. I also have a portable water straw filter and a bottle to store water in that straps to my waist.

I have water filters and I plan to store gallons of water too. They say you need about a gallon per day per person. I have a fish tank and a pet guinea pig too. So I might even need more than a gallon a day.

Upvote 0