The Keep
✟571,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, this was the context of the original version of the OP and was the basis for discussion up until this point.

If you wanted to discuss another context, I'll take a look and give my perspective.

I apologize for that. Even though I used James when I started this thread, I wanted to talk about works in general.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for that. Even though I used James when I started this thread, I wanted to talk about works in general.
In general, we are born again by the Holy Spirit through faith, and continue to live by faith.

The living by faith is the works part.

Since love and helping the needy are equated in the scripture, the posts that describe faith and love working together are spot on.

Upvote 0

Loaves and Fishes

Dec 25, 2020
canada
✟16,843.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Works is a broad term. How would you more narrowly define works as far as daily living goes? Is praising and thanking God works? Is praying works? Reading the Bible? Seeking truth? Giving some cash to a homeless person you pass by?
Works are the obedience to God's word by faith. Being a doer of the law.

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,980.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The most basic question is this - Do you view yourself as a Sinner who was saved? Or do you view yourself as a Saint who sins? I'll give you a hint - you should view yourself as a Saint who sins.

I would like to see how you substantiate this by Scripture. We are all sinners who were saved, but we need not all be saints who sin.

Personally, I view myself as a saint with victory over sin. Because of, and by Christ I can say no to sin [Romans 6], and I do. Through Christ I choose to give no place to the devil and I do this by the Holy Ghost. That is walking in the Spirit.

Rom 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Paul encourages us to view ourselves as the new man: a new creation.

Upvote 0

Loaves and Fishes

Dec 25, 2020
canada
✟16,843.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy spirit(the power of God) works in those who have repented and are baptized. Acts 2:38 and the laying on of hands Acts 19:6. We are buried(submerged) in baptism and rise as a new creation,2 Corinthians 5:17-Romans 6:1-6, and putting off the deeds of the flesh Romans 8:12-13 being clothed in Christ Galatians 3:27.
Galatians 2:20 ...I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Upvote 0

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Works is a broad term. How would you more narrowly define works as far as daily living goes? Is praising and thanking God works? Is praying works? Reading the Bible? Seeking truth? Giving some cash to a homeless person you pass by?
Anything you do is a work: your works are either righteous or unrighteous.

Upvote 0

Brett Hooper

Supporter
Jan 29, 2021
Nichols Point
✟47,995.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Brian, works are any action. If you get out of bed in the morning you have performed a work (action). The question really is: What are good works? I would define good works as any action that God approves of.

Good works are spoken of in a positive light in the Bible, they are not something that should be avoided. The point the Bible makes is—we do not come to God by our works, but rather according to His purpose. His purpose is that we do good works, especially with regards to saving the lost and bearing witness of His Son to the world!

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we do not come to God by our works, but rather according to His purpose. His purpose is that we do good works

Isn't that a Catch 22?

especially with regards to saving the lost

Doesn't Jesus Christ alone save the lost?

Isn't it rather our job to tell them the Good News that if they believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He paid the price for their sins, which is death, by dying on the cross, and that God raised Him back to life, thus Jesus Christ conquered death to give them eternal life if they put their faith Him alone? That in doing so they become Born Again?

Last edited:
Upvote 0