What are the reasons behind a person wrongfully rejecting the Trinity? (Trinity Christians Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are the motivations or reasons behind a person wrongfully rejecting the Trinity?

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This thread question is only intended for
“Traditional Trinitarian Christians Only” to answer.

I am always fascinated behind the motivations behind why people believe they do. I can understand why some people might hold to various beliefs that I think are unbiblical, but when folks reject the Trinity as revealed in Scripture, I am just puzzled. Why do they do this? For there are believers who do not understand the Trinity and yet they accept it by faith it is true (even when they don’t understand it). I admire them for that. For me: I guess I was blessed by the Lord to be able to understand the Trinity right away.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know one Christian who said that the description of God is also found in 1 John 5:8 in addition to 1 John 5:7. So he basically was implying at the time that there were six members and not three. I was like… “What in the world?” But why? Why would he think this way? What makes people to reject the standard Christian view of the Trinity? What are there reasons in doing so?

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What are the motivations or reasons behind a person wrongfully rejecting the Trinity?

I am always fascinated behind the motivations behind why people believe they do. I can understand why some people might hold to various beliefs that I think are unbiblical, but when folks reject the Trinity as revealed in Scripture, I am just puzzled. Why do they do this? For there are believers who do not understand the Trinity and yet they accept it by faith it is true (even when they don’t understand it). I admire them for that. For me: I guess I was blessed by the Lord to be able to understand the Trinity right away.
Since it took a council and a lot of discussion to declare the doctrine why is it not understandable that it is not an obvious conclusion that it, without being privy to those discussions or the winning argument, that one could not agree in its veracity.
It hardly makes any difference to how one follows Yeshua's Way or G-d's will for our way of livine in the Kingdom NOW.
In love
Jay Sea

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,447.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have read problematic descriptions of the Trinity that sounded more like "three people" or "three personalities", and when someone vehemently disagrees with such a view then it can quickly lead to the rejection of the Trinity itself. Knowing that there is one God only who has one personality may cover the fact that this one God reveals Himself in three different ways.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I have studied it extensively from both aspects… and while I will not reveal where I stand ….. for the purposes of this thread, I would be more than happy to present their (Unitarian’s) point of view.
I have a voluminous amount of notes on scripture that present their argument rather well.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Many believe what they do about it out of simple ignorance, and only know what they have been taught. It may, for example, make sense to them that the Son of God who refers to his Father as God, is not himself also God. And that the Spirit of God is like a separate thing from God's body, so also not God himself. Even those that read the Bible a lot, get off on the wrong foot.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I asked my friend recently, that just got a new girlfriend and hasn't had one for awhile, anyway, I asked him what her beliefs are, and he said that he didn't fully know yet, but that he thinks she's a Christian, etc, believes in Jesus, etc...?

And since I've been working with them both, but my friend more, and more often, and for longer now, etc, I told him that if they ever had any deeper questions or ever wanted a deeper understanding, then that I could help them out with that, etc, as I know right now he only has just a very basic understanding right now as well, as well as her, etc, and no offense to him, or his girlfriend, but I don't how much they could comprehend or readily handle the rest right now also, etc...

But then I told him that what was needed, or what was necessary was a true revelation of the Holy Spirit, and a true understanding of the True Trinity, that "that", unlocks, etc, but then also told him/them that it was not absolutely necessary to be saved (for heaven) but just that believing in and confessing Jesus name is enough to be saved (in the afterlife), etc, and that it also wasn't necessary to have a personal relationship with God or Jesus (from their limited understanding, etc) or to talk to and/or pray to him also, and also, and/or even at times, have him talk back to you sometimes also, etc...

And I left it at that with him/them for right now, etc...

But what I didn't tell him/them, and didn't have the heart to tell him/them yet, is that, without a true full revelation of the Holy Spirit, or God the Spirit, or the True Trinity, etc, they would be a very powerless Christian in life, this side of life, etc, and would probably never get off the "roller coaster ride" of life, this side of life, and would probably never get victory, or have any hope of victory, over sin in their life, ever at all ever, this side of life, etc...

Because that's the part I haven't told them yet, etc...

I don't know that either one them, for one, has enough Bible or God knowledge for one, and for another, might not be able to comprehend it right now also, and then for another, and/or because of that, etc, not really fully understand it right now also, etc...

I discerned they weren't ready for it yet, so I left that part out of it for now, etc...

Do you think I was "right"...?

I'm still going to have more opportunities in the future, more than likely, so do you think it was OK leaving them at that for now, etc...?

There is a fair amount involved in what I am talking about, etc...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Many believe what they do about it out of simple ignorance, and only know what they have been taught. It may, for example, make sense to them that the Son of God who refers to his Father as God, is not himself also God. And that the Spirit of God is like a separate thing from God's body, so also not God himself. Even those that read the Bible a lot, get off on the wrong foot.

That is a good point …One point the Unitarians make, which has been proven true is …You cannot learn the trinity from the Bible... it must be taught to you.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because they are intensely indoctrinated by their so-called leaders, teachers, pastors etc. to fervently believe and not deviate from the teachings of the heterodox religious group they belong to.
They are provided by their leaders with a list of out-of-context proof texts which when read out-of-context appear to support their group’s teachings. And their leaders convince them that the scriptures cited to support the Trinity are deliberately mistranslated.
Many such groups threaten anyone who strays from the group's teachings with banning or shunning which means complete separation from families and friends.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That is a good point …One point the Unitarians make, which has been proven true is …You cannot learn the trinity from the Bible... it must be taught to you.
But you have to know some Bible to be able to understand the Trinity...

And I don't think very many people have quite enough...?

Like my friend and his girlfriend, I might as well be speaking to them in a whole other language that they don't know, etc...

But you also do have to know a little bit apart from the Bible I guess as well also, etc...? And that takes a certain level of being able to comprehend also, etc...? That I also don't think either one of them is/are even remotely close to fully having yet also...? As it is, sadly, with many, etc...

"My people perish (or are completely powerless over sin all of their lives) due to a lack of knowledge", etc...

Both Bible knowledge, and knowledge that comes from God the Spirit, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because they are intensely indoctrinated by their so-called leaders, teachers, pastors etc. to fervently believe and not deviate from the teachings of the heterodox religious group they belong to.
They are provided by their leaders with a list of out-of-context proof texts which when read out-of-context appear to support their group’s teachings. And their leaders convince them that the scriptures cited to support the Trinity are deliberately mistranslated.
Many such groups threaten anyone who strays from the group's teachings with banning or shunning which means complete separation from families and friends.

Ah, yes. Not belonging to the group. I did not consider that. People do like to have a feeling to belong with others and to connect with them.

Thanks for your input on this.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since it took a council and a lot of discussion to declare the doctrine why is it not understandable that it is not an obvious conclusion that it, without being privy to those discussions or the winning argument, that one could not agree in its veracity.
It hardly makes any difference to how one follows Yeshua's Way or G-d's will for our way of livine in the Kingdom NOW.
In love
Jay Sea

I beg to differ. We are told to worship God in spirit and in truth. We cannot worship a false version of God that runs contrary to Scripture or it would be a false God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well with the ancient Arians it was that they believed it came from human tradition and was not clearly demonstrated in scripture.

Yes, I did consider that one main reason why many Arians reject the Trinity is because they simply do not understand it. I believe it takes spiritual discernment of God’s Word to be able to see it clearly in Scripture. For it is like wide open big time clear that the Trinity is true. But I think because they don’t understand it, or it is not put forth in enough verses in the way that they would like, they simply do not accept it. But God’s Word should not cater to our way of thinking. We should mold our thoughts to His Word even when we may not understand always.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
But you have to know some Bible to be able to understand the Trinity...

And I don't think very many people have quite enough...?

Like my friend and his girlfriend, I might as well be speaking to them in a whole other language that they don't know, etc...

But you also do have to know a little bit apart from the Bible I guess as well also, etc...? And that takes a certain level of being able to comprehend also, etc...? That I also don't think either one of them is/are even remotely close to fully having yet also...? As it is, sadly, with many, etc...
You are correct....

I wish I could find the the one Unitarian's report, unfortunately it's probably on a disc drive. But I remember part of the study they had done involved several people (100 maybe, I don't remember) that it documented ...out of those that read the Bible or were reading the Bible, none of the participants had any inkling of the trinity or any thought of Jesus being God...without being taught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The Lord gave us an intellect, unlike any other creature.

The intellect is designed to reason and understand things from the facts.

To me, the facts can only be found in the Word.

From there we must use our reasoning to understand what is presented.

We also must be patient, the Lord gives us our daily bread, and no more. (I was not a patient person. It took a while for me to learn to wait on the Lord to open my eyes and share with me some of his wisdom.)

Also, our reasoning and understanding must be from the Lord, not ourselves. That becomes very dangerous when we use our biases and desires to influence our understanding. (That was another problem of mine)

So, can you please explain to me how the Lord gave you an understanding of the trinity, and what your understanding is exactly?

I have had a great interest in getting these answers from people, ever since I heard of the trinity. One never knows what someone is thinking unless one asks.

Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are correct....

I wish I could find the the one Unitarian's report, unfortunately it's probably on a disc drive. But I remember part of the study they had done involved several people (100 maybe, I don't remember) that it documented ...out of those that read the Bible or were reading the Bible, none of the participants had any inkling of the trinity or any thought of Jesus being God...without being taught.

That makes sense.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I did consider that one main reason why many Arians reject the Trinity is because they simply do not understand it. I believe it takes spiritual discernment of God’s Word to be able to see it clearly in Scripture. For it is like wide open big time clear that the Trinity is true. But I think because they don’t understand it, or it is not put forth in enough verses in the way that they would like, they simply do not accept it. But God’s Word should not cater to our way of thinking. We should mold our thoughts to His Word even when we may not understand always.

Well I think the reason is mindset. Trinitarianism is a very sophisticated position, where you consider the ramifications of various scriptures especially in regards to Christ, and to the lesser degree the Holy Spirit.

But it is very easy to be an Arian. It is very easy to get the wrong idea about things, especially scriptures spoken of Jesus during his Earthly ministry before his crucifixion. If you have a proof text mentality, their are a lot of scriptures you can quote to insinuate an Arian view of Jesus, or some other kind of sole monarchy of God the Father. The verse that Jesus "did not consider equality with God something to be grasped" is one such verse at least in English translations. It is suppose to be about Jesus gladly taking on the role of a servant, and putting aside his Godly privilege's for the sake of his earthly mission etc. But it can easily sound to someone like what Jehovah's witnesses believe that Jesus didn't do that because he knew he was not equal with the Father, but unlike Lucifer was humble and obedient.

In studying Trinitarianism recently learned from watching some William Lane Craig videos on You-tube that apparently one of the big early factors that made the case were the pronouns used to describe the Godhead. They suggested that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were part of the same being and thus they had to be "of the same substance" or being. While the Arians inserted their interpretation into the text believing that they metaphorically are "One" aka on the same side etc. And the Son and Holy Spirit are of a similar substance but not quite the same as the father. They are created beings, that are not eternal etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I was on a Christian forum many years ago that had a rule against discussing the Trinity because so many fights had broken out over it. From what I've gleaned there's an objection over the Son being coequal with the Father, because that somehow takes away from the crucifixion being the same kind of sacrifice Abraham was willing to make using Isaac. Or something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is it too simple-minded to answer the OP by saying the devil? Devils are behind the whispers that bring a person from the worship of the One true God as He has revealed Himself to us in the uncreated and indivisible Holy Trinity, for whatever surface reasons they give (e.g., it's not explicitly found in scripture). That is the reason for Arianism, Ebionism, monadism, polytheism, tritheism, Sabellianism, Mohammedanism, Mormonism, etc., as that is the source of all heresies. Heresies are birthed in hell from the loins of Satan.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.