Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘The eternal God gave a beginning to all that exists outside of himself. He alone is Creator. … The totality of what exists depends on the One who gives it being.’ (CCC 290)

A few years ago, I had the good fortune of performing in Uppsala, Sweden, at a Nordic Magic Convention. I was asked to perform a mentalist trick I invented called “Impossible.” Imagine a room of perceptive and skeptical magicians encircling four volunteers seated at a regulation poker table, which had been examined thoroughly by a committee trained to distrust other magicians. These are people who wouldn’t believe me if I insisted that the sun were shining at noon.

I asked them if they knew the rules of poker. They said they did. I made a perfunctory Jedi-like wave over the deck and asked them to agree as to who would cut the deck and who would deal four hands, one to each player. The cards were dealt and the volunteer behind whom I stood, miraculously, won the hand with a Royal Flush. I did this five times in a row, standing behind each volunteer in turn.

For those unfamiliar with the odds of producing a Royal Flush, I offer the following probabilities (with poker hands in bold):

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"To me, it makes perfect sense that God exists. In a way, it is the only thing that makes sense."
That is how I feel as well. If there is no God, what is there?

• Love
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I remember a quote by my old pastor. I think he was leading an inhouse Bible study class at the time.

"Man doesn't want to believe in God" he said.

It's as simple as that when it comes to atheists who conveniently ignore the incredible accuracy of the physical constants for the universe to exist and life to arise, with fossil fuels just sitting there for our use when needed, the extraordinary mixture of heavy elements on planet earth (while the universe as a whole is 98% hydrogen and helium), the mathematical structure of physics with our minds somehow able to understand the maths involved, plus the fact the human race keeps asking what its purpose is, implying there is a purpose.

Then there's quantum tunneling which allows the sun to generate nuclear fusion, not too fast, and not too slow, along with Jupiter as our spatial vacuum cleaner sucking up the asteroids. Then there's the moon which is just the right size to form a perfect eclipse thus enabling Sir Arthur Eddington to prove Einstein's theory of light being bent by gravity as it passed the sun, apart from regulating the tides, keeping earth's tilt just right, giving light at night, apart from the other roles it has in supporting life.

Without the Moon, Would There Be Life on Earth?

And that's just the moon.

Meanwhile they pin their hopes on multiple universes without proof, alien life without proof, and and a universe which just somehow popped into existence with all the necessary constants in place.

As the old pastor said, "Man doesn't WANT to believe in God." Anything but.

Upvote 0