What are the faults of christian liberalism?

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
CSMR said:
Please don't think that way! I have not found this among "conservative" Protestant Christians at all. You flatter us too much! We often look for the law in the written word (there may be a regrettable tendency for not to look deeply into the spirit of the laws) and uphold this in the sense of believing or proclaiming it as truth, but we do not live by it at all. That the purpose of the law, in its letter and spirit, is to show up human sin rather than to lead people to a better life could be called a "conservative" notion. The discussion on what it is to be human-centred and Christ-centred is really related to this. How much can humans do and how much can Christ do?
Not all conservatives are as I stated. Just some.

Upvote 0

drboyd

Jun 27, 2004
✟3,316.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
First of all, I've just gotta tell y'all - I just loved reading this thread!! Gives me the tingles!

I do believe that it's possible to be what some people would describe as a "liberal" Christian, and still believe in Biblical inerrancy. Here's what I think.

The Bible is "true," and on a deeper level than "2+2=4" is true. In fact, it may contain what some people would describe as "errors," which actually serve to point out the deeper truth.

Example: Contradictions between the Gospels on who said or did what and when. On the surface, this looks like an "error" on someone's part; the two descriptions can't both be true.

But when you think about it, that's the way real human beings who were there remember real events. Ask any cop who has questioned a dozen witnesses, and I'll bet they tell you the same thing.

The truth that's being pointed to is that these are real people, they were really there, and these events really happened.

Reactions: McCravey
Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
But when you think about it, that's the way real human beings who were there remember real events. Ask any cop who has questioned a dozen witnesses, and I'll bet they tell you the same thing.

Except it's highly unlikely that any of the writers who wrote the OT history were present at the events they describe, and if modern NT critics are correct, none of the Gospel writers were either (as it's highly unlikely that the names of the Gospels are anything other than traditional.)

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
artybloke said:
Except it's highly unlikely that any of the writers who wrote the OT history were present at the events they describe, and if modern NT critics are correct, none of the Gospel writers were either (as it's highly unlikely that the names of the Gospels are anything other than traditional.)

With regards to NT writings, would they have been developed from oral accounts?

If so, could it not be presumed that those oral accounts developed from eye witness accounts?

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Mustaphile said:
There seem to be pros and cons to most things. We seem to have discussed reasons why we chose to be liberal christians. What would you consider the cons of christian liberalism?
Speculation. Wandering in circles using nothing but human tools, only to wind up right where we started.

Corollary: Anti-authoritarianism. To an extent, it's not a bad thing to question or call into review what our authority members do. But to bash them for the sole reason that they are in charge of us and tell us what to do is silly.

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Rising Tree said:
Speculation. Wandering in circles using nothing but human tools, only to wind up right where we started.

Corollary: Anti-authoritarianism. To an extent, it's not a bad thing to question or call into review what our authority members do. But to bash them for the sole reason that they are in charge of us and tell us what to do is silly.

Waaah!!..these ones get my hackles up, but thats probably because its too close to the bone. ;) I'd try to cure myself, but it goes against my very nature. :)

I'd rather think God made me this way, and saved my soul by giving me a soft spot for the Catholic authoritarianism. I'm afraid the Pope is going to come and personally give me a spanking, to keep me in line. :D

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Miss Shelby said:
Do you guys have a jukebox in here?

I'm afraid to answer. :) You haven't been sent by the Pope have you?

Is that a paddle in your hand?

/me eyes Miss Shelby suspiciously ;)

Upvote 0