Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well I usually dream most when I've either been drinking before bed, eating before bed, or away from technology for awhile (and all that entails). I would say its our mind just spending energy being creative.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Are they a way of working things out in your mind?

Messages?

Just remnants/trash from your life??
So far, none of the explanations I have heard make enough sense to be considered true. Some of them might have some bearing, but what they say so far has not shown itself to be useful to me concerning dreams.

Upvote 0

kufe

Sep 16, 2018
Mississauga
✟12,337.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
often times in the bible you see communications from God to people in their dreams, sometimes even sent visions through dreams; with this in mind I believe SOME not all dreams are maybe a reflection of what is going on in the spirit. Think of when Christ said, Lazarus is asleep, when Lazarus died, John 11:11 After He had said this, He told them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I am going there to wake him up.” - death is sleep, when you are dead your spirit leaves your body, I believe when we are asleep, our spiritual man takes over (we are more susceptible to what happens in the spiritual realm) therefore this is my logic on why SOME dreams are maybe a reflection of what goes on the spirit.
Sounds crazy though lool but I believe this to be true

Reactions: Jay Rosa
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,125.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are they a way of working things out in your mind?

Messages?

Just remnants/trash from your life??

I very rarely remember dreams, and even if I do (usually when I've woken up half way through a nightmare), I find they're nonsense, with no real context. Then over the next day or so even that nightmare fades from memory until there is nothing left.

I mean even our dog seems to dream or something, or something like it. He'll start twitching and growling in his sleep, chasing imaginary cats or other dogs?

So I don't put much significance on dreams and I don't know why we have them. However I think some nightmares may have a demonic origin. I can be having an ordinary dream when it suddenly seems to get hijacked and takes a sinister turn. I'll wake up and there will be a sort of profound "darkness" in the room despite the street lights outside, and a sense of something unpleasant hanging about. There may also be a heavy pressure, and a growling sound, representative of an enemy.

Panther-Teeth-RS-RSS-ST-frunk-image-view.gif

It seems to happen around midnight most of the time. Sometimes there seems to be something floating around the ceiling just on the edge of visibility.

Eventually it eases, although a few "Hail Mary's" in my mind seems to help.

Next morning I'll remember the fact it happened, but I usually can't remember the details of the dream / nightmare itself.

Visions are different - they make sense, and you don't forget them. Sister Lucia, the sole surviving member of the trio at Fatima, didn't start writing her memories down till about 1935, 18 years after the visions themselves. But she could remember word for word what she heard from Mary, and accurately describe what she saw.

You couldn't do that with a dream 18 years later. It would have been forgotten long ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really feel that dreams can be all the things mentioned above. I have had dreams where what I dreamed happened the next day. I have had dreams that I felt were from God. Dreams that are junk. Dreams where I feel things are being worked out in the mind, etc.

What gets to me is repeated dreams.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
They can be all of that. There is a type of dream called a clearinghouse dream. Where all the extra stuff in your head gets jumbled into it.

I can say one time I believe a dream was from God, that my grandmother had. It was after my mom died. My grandmother was 74 and took us (two ten year old twins in) to live with her. It was right up the street from our house and my dad worked three jobs in various coal mines. It was hard on her, 74 and had just lost the only child that lived.

We were not in a good way either, just losing mom. We were not bad but one of the things was we did not want to do was get up early. We did not want to go to school because who knows if the people we loved would be there when we got back.

My grandmother slept on a bed in the living room because she was also taking care of her husband who had a stroke years before. She kept him at home and we all helped taking care of him. He was in a medical bed in the modified dining room.

One morning she was having a dream and something happened that I will mention in a moment.

But we woke up on our own that morning and she was getting up and just looked at us strangely for a moment before we did all the morning stuff.

But I can say that morning for my sister and I, we accepted moms death more. Like she was with us but not there. It was different after that morning.

But when we got home my brother told us what happened.

My grandmother was dreaming and in that state where you are coming out of it and getting up. She thought about how she was so tired. And still knowing she was dreaming but knowing something was different she looked over at the bottom of the stairs. And sitting there, looking like she did as a young lady about 18, was my mom.

She smiled and said, "It's ok mom. I got them this morning." And smiled. "I love you mommy." And she hurried up the stairs. My grandmother fell back to sleep until just before we came down.

Sometimes...like to Saint Joseph, God calms our worries with dreams. Sometimes they are just stuff in our heads.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They can be all of that. There is a type of dream called a clearinghouse dream. Where all the extra stuff in your head gets jumbled into it.

I can say one time I believe a dream was from God, that my grandmother had. It was after my mom died. My grandmother was 74 and took us (two ten year old twins in) to live with her. It was right up the street from our house and my dad worked three jobs in various coal mines. It was hard on her, 74 and had just lost the only child that lived.

We were not in a good way either, just losing mom. We were not bad but one of the things was we did not want to do was get up early. We did not want to go to school because who knows if the people we loved would be there when we got back.

My grandmother slept on a bed in the living room because she was also taking care of her husband who had a stroke years before. She kept him at home and we all helped taking care of him. He was in a medical bed in the modified dining room.

One morning she was having a dream and something happened that I will mention in a moment.

But we woke up on our own that morning and she was getting up and just looked at us strangely for a moment before we did all the morning stuff.

But I can say that morning for my sister and I, we accepted moms death more. Like she was with us but not there. It was different after that morning.

But when we got home my brother told us what happened.

My grandmother was dreaming and in that state where you are coming out of it and getting up. She thought about how she was so tired. And still knowing she was dreaming but knowing something was different she looked over at the bottom of the stairs. And sitting there, looking like she did as a young lady about 18, was my mom.

She smiled and said, "It's ok mom. I got them this morning." And smiled. "I love you mommy." And she hurried up the stairs. My grandmother fell back to sleep until just before we came down.

Sometimes...like to Saint Joseph, God calms our worries with dreams. Sometimes they are just stuff in our heads.
Wow! That's amazing David. God bless your grandma.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums