✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Crystal71503 said:
I'm Baptist and never heard of Calvinists before until my boyfriend told me about all the different religions on here. So what are they exactly, I would love to know what they believe...:)
First of all, Calvinism is not a religion it's a theology. Also known as Reformed Theology.

As for what Calvinism/RT is all about I refer you to the following site:

http://www.mslick.com/tulip.htm

I would recommend reading this and then posting any specific questions....

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Crystal71503 said:
I'm Baptist and never heard of Calvinists before until my boyfriend told me about all the different religions on here. So what are they exactly, I would love to know what they believe...:)

Good Day, Crystal

I am a Baptist also!:)
In addition to the link Knight posted, I would recomend Grace unknown By RC. Sproul also Spurgeon's Defence of Calvinism.

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:
The man John Calvin taught the Biblical doctrine of the Grace of God to save sinners, as do we, the world calls us Calvinists.

Welcome back Reformed Baptist!!!:clap: Hope all is well!

Bill

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2004
✟296.00
Faith
Christian
I believe that the Reformed view of predestination is correct. I am a Calvinist.

The Five Points of Calvinism
Total Depravity
Unconditional Election (Sovereign Election)
Limited Atonement (Particular Redemption)
Irresistible Grace (Effectual Grace)
Perseverance of the Saints (Preservation of the Saints)

Sola Fide—by faith alone
Sola Gratia—by grace alone
Soli Deo Gloria—to God alone be the glory

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2004
✟296.00
Faith
Christian
Crystal71503 said:

Crystal71503,

I recommend these books:

Chosen by God, by R. C. Sproul
Willing to Believe, by R. C. Sproul

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, by J. I. Packer

Debating Calvinism, by Dave Hunt and James White

God bless you, Crystal71503.

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Reformed Baptist said:
The man John Calvin taught the Biblical doctrine of the Grace of God to save sinners, as do we, the world calls us Calvinists.

Hey you came back..GOOD SHOW! :clap:

I enjoyed your old posts, you fought valiently. If you don't mind check out my post on the Reformation and share your thoughts.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:
I love your Avatar Reformed Baptist,I would like one with Spurgeon.Pink.Calvin..;)

Upvote 0

tkirk

Jul 15, 2004
Dallas Ectoburbs
Visit site
✟114.00
Faith
Calvinist
The most popular "Calvinist" churches in the usa are the Presbyterians and the Dutch Reformed, although many groups have been directly and indirectly influenced by Calvin including the Wesleyans.

As a long time Calvinist and person very familiar with other denominations, Calvinism seems to shoot for a middle-way both theologically and procedurally. My fundamentalist and Catholic friends who have visited my church seem to generally confer with me on this. Here is an example of major areas where Calvinists tend to be in the middle of World Christianity:
1. The Eucharist / Communion - 1/2 between "symbolism" and literal body and blood
2. Liturgy - 1/2 way between free church and fixed liturgy
3. Doctrine - includes elements that would be familiar to Orthodox (sovereignty of God), Catholics (importance of infant baptism), and Fundamentalists ("God is the Lord of the Concience")
4. Church Government - 1/2 way between Free Church Congregational and Episcopal

Etc., Etc. Etc.

From what I can tell from my reading of Calvin, he was trying to recapture the Ancient Church of the first few centuries - NOT start a new improved church. So, in a sense, Calvinist both ARE and ARE NOT like modern fundamentalists/protestants - 1/2 way again!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums