What about the rest of us?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE "nightflight, post: 69826237, member: 142704"]Those of us who are screw ups, thrown about by the waves of our passions, incorrigible, filled with bitterness and even hate; what is to come of us? We who may have an interest in spiritual things, aware of a transcending reality and goodness, but not only fail to reach it, but fail to even try. Are we doomed to whatever hell your various faiths have? Is God,... going to save us anyway? Or is it the pit for us?
We of the Bad want to know. QUOTE end

"... an interest..." in what? truth? spiritual things?
"...aware of a transcending reality and goodness.."
"... but fail to even try ." ???
"Are we doomed..." mostly, yes. (the whole world is under sentence of destruction)
"Is God ... going to save us..." some, yes.
"or... the pit..." most, yes.

"...want to know." why ? for Hope? Good if so. for salvation? Good, for those saved.

Want Good ? or "...the pit..." ? "Choose TODAY".

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟659,691.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Clod is English slang for a stupid person.

On gordredeemed s explanation of "enlightenment", it reminded me of something my dear mother of blessed memory recited a few times,
that is why I asked him if it came from there, or at least inspired by it.

So who you are referring to, I don't know.

Again, never mind.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, there you go. The "offer" is made. Thus "chosen before the foundation of the world" (NT, Ephesians ) which seems so important to Calvinists, is effectively rejected in favour of our choosing of God. Thus, from a Pure Land perspective, self power.

You seem to be seizing upon anything that you can represent as proving your point, but I'm not seeing the same idea that you apparently are seeing.

For one thing, Calvinism =/= Christianity. And for another, the hand of God reaching out to Man is precisely what Christianity is all about and what people say distinguishes Christianity from other faiths. Yes, that is correct.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Those of us who are screw ups, thrown about by the waves of our passions, incorrigible, filled with bitterness and even hate; what is to come of us? We who may have an interest in spiritual things, aware of a transcending reality and goodness, but not only fail to reach it, but fail to even try. Are we doomed to whatever hell your various faiths have? Is God, Brahma, Allah, Amida going to save us anyway? Or is it the pit for us?

We of the Bad want to know.
If you've tried your best, yet fail to reach the highest goals in (early) Buddhism (non-Mahayana/Zen/Tibetan/Vajrayana), you can expect to receive fruits equal to your efforts (kamma).

Generally speaking, those who achieve at least a skillful lifestyle are expected to be reborn in the lower heavens as a lower-level deity, or on earth as a human. Those who achieve both a skillful lifestyle and develop the brahma-viharas (state of heart, e.g. loving-kindness, compassion, empathetic joy, equanimity) can expect to be reborn in one of the middle-level heavens, with a corresponding increase in lifespan, glory, and power compared to those in the lower heavens. Finally, those who achieve a skillful lifestyle, the brahma-viharas, and advanced states of mind can expect to be reborn in the higher-level heavens.

Those of a moderately negative personality and a corresponding unskillful lifestyle might expect to be reborn in the animal or ghostly realms. Those of a heavily negative personality and lifestyle will find themselves in the hellish realms.

Just as life on earth is not eternal, none of these heavens or hells are eternal either.

Those who achieve the highest goal of nibbana leave this merry-go-round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you've tried your best, yet fail to reach the highest goals in (early) Buddhism (non-Mahayana/Zen/Tibetan/Vajrayana), you can expect to receive fruits equal to your efforts (kamma). You can probably expect to be reborn in either the human realm, or in the lower heavens as a lower-ranked deity.

Generally speaking, those who achieve at least a moral lifestyle are expected to be reborn in the lower heavens as a lower-level deity, or on earth as a human. Those who achieve both a moral lifestyle and develop the brahma-viharas (state of heart, e.g. loving-kindness, compassion, empathetic joy, equanimity) can expect to be reborn in one of the middle-level heavens, with a corresponding increase in lifespan, glory, and power compared to those in the lower heavens. Finally, those who achieve a moral lifestyle, the brahma-viharas, and advanced states of mind can expect to be reborn in the higher-level heavens. None of these heavens are eternal, just like none of the hellish-states are eternal.

Those who achieve the highest goal of nibbana leave this merry-go-round.

Cool. What kinda of Buddhism are you into good sir?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Pureland. Always like to learn more about other paths. What kinda of practice do you do?
That's a broad question :) Essentially:
  • I practice the Eightfold Path, under the idea that Self-development brings personally observable results.
  • It seems reasonable to me that I would reap exactly what I put in (kamma), and I don't expect or have reason to believe that this Law is modifiable by others. So, no reliance on or faith in "intermediaries", whether "prophets", priests, savior-like figures, or other hierarchies. Essentially, "Be a light unto yourself" - Lord Buddha, Dhammapada.
  • Personal practice results in personal knowledge; no need for blind faith and belief in unverifiable doctrines.
I practice jhana meditation, and I am currently working on establishing (stablizing) the first jhana.

Yourself?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fizzywig

Namu Amida Butsu
May 9, 2016
UK
✟10,051.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be seizing upon anything that you can represent as proving your point, but I'm not seeing the same idea that you apparently are seeing.

For one thing, Calvinism =/= Christianity. And for another, the hand of God reaching out to Man is precisely what Christianity is all about and what people say distinguishes Christianity from other faiths. Yes, that is correct.

I am using Christian examples simply because I am on a Christian forum.

My point is that it is not about free will and our exercise of it.

If you see God "reaching out his hand", fair enough. But really, it does not distinguish Christianity at all.

Upvote 0

Fizzywig

Namu Amida Butsu
May 9, 2016
UK
✟10,051.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
On gordredeemed s explanation of "enlightenment", it reminded me of something my dear mother of blessed memory recited a few times,
that is why I asked him if it came from there, or at least inspired by it.

So who you are referring to, I don't know.

Again, never mind.

I was just reciting the first line of the Wordsworth "Daffodils" poem.....

"I wandered lonely as a cloud" (clod)

Sorry, I assumed as you referenced it you knew it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fizzywig

Namu Amida Butsu
May 9, 2016
UK
✟10,051.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
It seems reasonable to me that I would reap exactly what I put in (kamma), and I don't expect or have reason to believe that this Law is modifiable by others.

There is an interesting essay on "Kamma and its fruit" by the Theravada Elder, Nyanaponika Thera.

Easily found on the Accesstoinsight website.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
There is an interesting essay on "Kamma and its fruit" by the Theravada Elder, Nyanaponika Thera.

Easily found on the Accesstoinsight website.
I agree with Ven. Nyanaponika's assessment. An individual's kamma can be modified by himself through application of his will. That's the central point behind things like meditation - to break that cycle.

I do not believe one's own kamma can be modified by others (e.g. savior figures).

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟54,920.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those of us who are screw ups, thrown about by the waves of our passions, incorrigible, filled with bitterness and even hate; what is to come of us? We who may have an interest in spiritual things, aware of a transcending reality and goodness, but not only fail to reach it, but fail to even try. Are we doomed to whatever hell your various faiths have? Is God, Brahma, Allah, Amida going to save us anyway? Or is it the pit for us?.Whatever God has in sight for you may surprise you ,as it has me .

We of the Bad want to know.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟659,691.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I was just reciting the first line of the Wordsworth "Daffodils" poem.....

"I wandered lonely as a cloud" (clod)

Sorry, I assumed as you referenced it you knew it.

"The precarious sea of language", is that correct?

I think you have used it a few times, not too sure though.

"Yes, we have no bananas" was my indicating there was a misunderstanding somewhere,

The old song from the twenties about a Greek grocer.

Upvote 0