What’s wrong with calling out false teachers by name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we're on safer ground addressing questions of doctrine as opposed to personalities. Paul does call out certain persons that were enemies of Christ and false Christians, in fact he says he would that they would emasculate themselves (Galatians 5:12); but I'm not Paul so I don't feel comfortable making such a statement. I do believe we should be very vigilant about the spread of false doctrine and corruption of doctrine in the Church. I think if you go after doctrine over people you're less likely to be playing a game of false shepherd whack-a-mole, although the works of evil should be exposed generally so take it for what it's worth.
This. Address the idea, not the person. The person is a work in progress. Many would have harshly condemned David for having Bathsheba's husband killed - and they would not be wrong. But God said he was a man after his own heart. You don't know the end so don't judge that. However, we are to stand against wrong teaching by those inside the church.

• Informative
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
EDIT I've edited the following in order to get what I need to say, said, but stay within the guidelines of what is allowed to be said on CF.

As mentioned, do at least some research, but chances are you'll find several hucksters that it's our duty to call out, when and where we can, and I wouldn't have the least bit of a problem doing so. Some false prophets put on a fairly convincing show, and by trickery, make themselves appear holy (just what some like to see) and If we care for our Christian brother, what else can we do but expose the quacks. Enough speak against them, regardless of the toes that get stepped on, the better the chance at least a few will see, and get out.

Ephesians 5:11 ESV
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

And if there ever were "works of darkness", it's the work of false prophets.
By their words they will be justified and by their words they will be condemned. Focus on the words.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This. Address the idea, not the person. The person is a work in progress.

Thing is, some of these preaches are and always will be what they are. Anyone can repent at anytime, however some of these phoneys have been doing what they do for decades, and when what they do affects others/our brothers, then yeah, work in progress or not, we need to help them to "progress" in the right direction by exposing them before they take the masses down with them..

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

There just seems to be tension surrounding the whole thing. But why? If someone is misleading the church, why shouldn’t we call them out by name? I don’t know if I really get it.

Thanks guys.

God bless.
It’s because those who are calling out false teachers by name are false teachers themselves.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

There just seems to be tension surrounding the whole thing. But why? If someone is misleading the church, why shouldn’t we call them out by name? I don’t know if I really get it.

Thanks guys.

God bless.
The Apostle paul called out a fellow Apostle peter for not applying his correct theology in the right way, and Paul also labeled those teaching another Gospel and another Jesus as deserving eternal hell!

• Agree
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.
That has a tendency to lead to an escalation around here, so it's avoided. My approach is to focus on the doctrine, if it's a false doctrine it's probably nothing all that new. If I think someone is promoting say, a Pelagian error I'll just take them to task in the Scriptures, no need in trying to brand someone. It's important to contrast error with sound doctrine, the person promoting the error might have stumbled into it innocently enough. You just need to know the Scriptures well enough to guide around personal allegations, it's kind of a distraction anyway when you think about it.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.
If you see a blind man who has just fallen in a ditch......would you go and call him out.....point and tell others to look at how this blind man fell in when I can clearly see the ditch and walk around it?

Most people do and teach what they believe is right.....there are very few who are teaching incorrect doctrine who knows the truth.....And can we blame them? Arent we all eager to go and tell the world what "we know" right after we believe we are saved?

So why not grab a ladder and help the man out, instead of pointing and exclaiming that one has fallen?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you see a blind man who has just fallen in a ditch......would you go and call him out.....point and tell others to look at how this blind man fell in when I can clearly see the ditch and walk around it?

Most people do and teach what they believe is right.....there are very few who are teaching incorrect doctrine who knows the truth.....And can we blame them? Arent we all eager to go and tell the world what "we know" right after we believe we are saved?

So why not grab a ladder and help the man out, instead of pointing and exclaiming that one has fallen?
I suffered depression, anxiety and stress disorder. Where was my ladder when i needed one? WOF/Charismatics followers accused me of denying the Lord and tried to cast out my demons. Do you understand how damaging those accusations are to a person having mental problems? All i really needed was a little understanding, not judgment. Their faith couldnt heal anything or cast out anything. All they did was damage me more.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suffered depression, anxiety and stress disorder. Where was my ladder when i needed one? WOF followers accused me of denying the Lord and tried to cast out my demons. Do you understand how damaging those accusations are to a person having mental problems? All i really needed was a little understanding, not judgment.
When you reach your journeys end (Im not talking about death), you will be greater than you ever imagined you could be......Then you will understand why you went through everything you went through and understand the role of everyone in your life who helped you get there......even the ones who meant you harm... What was meant for evil, God has turned it around for your good.

But I can say no more, lest I be labeled "word of faith" which the opers doesnt seem to like.....

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.
Just to add, we can't be calling out people we think are false teachers by name because it's not our job to do so. Paul did it but we are not him. You may not know that person'S relationship with the lord in actuality and if they are sheep, it would be a stumbling sin to calm them out. 1 John 2 reminds us that Christ has room for children, young men and older men in His church. These are all stages of spiritual growth. It may be a case of poor interpretation or otherwise of scripture without evil intent. I say, let the true church focus on teaching the word/sound doctrine and the sheep will know what's good for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just to add, we can't be calling out people we think are false teachers by name because it's not our job to do so. Paul did it but we are not him. You may not know that person'S relationship with the lord in actuality and if they are sheep, it would be a stumbling sin to calm them out. 1 John 2 reminds us that Christ has room for children, young men and older men in His church. These are all stages of spiritual growth. It may be a case of poor interpretation or otherwise of scripture without evil intent. I say, let the true church focus on teaching the word/sound doctrine and the sheep will know what's good for them.
I agree with teachers who lived like the apostles did. I dont agree with preachers who get rich selling their doctrine. Jesus is free.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with teachers who lived like the apostles did. I dont agree with preachers who get rich selling their doctrine. Jesus is free.
You are just as rich as the preachers you speak of......you just dont know it yet....... somewhat like the brother of the prodigal son after he viewed the homecoming party.

But I cant say more, lest i be labeled with the prosperity preachers.....the oper does like them either.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are just as rich as the preachers you speak of......you just dont know it yet....... somewhat like the brother of the prodigal son after he viewed the homecoming party.

But I cant say more, lest i be labeled with the prosperity preachers.....the oper does like them either.
The apostles were not rich. They surely would not have gotten rich selling the Gospel. They are our examples to follow. How any teacher can take money he earned and buy a mansion while people are actually starving in this world, that shows a lack of discernment and i would never follow such a person. Maybe i'll get labeled as a judge again for saying this?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.

I think there needs to be lots of caution in doing this and it should be at an absolute minimum. We have to speak of even false teachers in love and that we are praying for them. We should not make it like they are Hitler or Jim Jones. If they are still alive, we should seek to speak as much as we can in love and to attack the belief primarily and not the people. For a person can repent 5 seconds from after we say something bad about them and their wrong theology, we would be condemning them before the time or chance they would have so as to repent and get right with God. We should not condemn a person as if they will never repent in this life. We should not treat false teachers as if they were vile and speak as if they were worse than raw sewage. Paul says we have to speak full of grace seasoned with salt. We are to love our enemies and to do good towards them and to pray for them.

This is why I primarily seek to attack the wrong belief and not the person.
This not only works on discussion of the Bible on Christian forums really well, but it also works well in real life, too.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.

Because it's going to be you on some point of theology in somebody else's opinion.

And so there we will all be, facing each other in a circle shooting at each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.

If someone is misleading the Church they most certainly should be called out by name! I can think of many modern examples of such people, wolves in sheep's clothing, fleecing the flock of God disguised as a preacher and/or evangelist. The practice of being held accountable and holding others accountable has long vanished from the Church. And so, false teachers have rushed in, knowing they will be largely immune from criticism from the Christian community. The result has been the likes of Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Cindy Jacobs, Kenneth and Gloria Copeland, Sid Roth, Rod Parsley, Jesse Duplantis and so on ad nauseum.

I think, too, the average Christian in the West has become seriously juvenile in their understanding of the doctrines of their own faith. How, then, do they counter the slippery convolutions of Scripture that the false teacher often makes? Well, they don't. Instead, they are easily led astray into doctrinal deception, becoming followers of wicked men (and women) who make merchandise of them.

Also, the Church today is crowded with false converts, "tares," who, devoid of the illumination and conviction of the indwelling Holy Spirit, are blown about with every wind of false teaching, gobbling up the nonsense of false teachers because it tickles their ears. Such people find it "judgmental" and "not nice" to call out their favorite false teacher and expose him or her for the fraud they are and so they attempt to mute the biblically-astute believer who is critical of these teachers with accusations of divisiveness, and petty, doctrinal nit-picking, and lovelessness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The apostles were not rich. They surely would not have gotten rich selling the Gospel. They are our examples to follow. How any teacher can take money he earned and buy a mansion while people are actually starving in this world, that shows a lack of discernment and i would never follow such a person. Maybe i'll get labeled as a judge again for saying this?
They were rich......Maybe not your idea of rich. We dont all have the same tastes and desires. Some desire minivans, while others sports cars. I would not tell the one, who wants the minivan, that he has to have the sports car instead.... For they wont like it because it is not what they desire...

Also note that there are many who are employed by those mansion and their upkeep. Hundreds were devastated when MJackson died. His mansion kept their kids fed and clothed....now they felt they were out on the streets not knowing how they will take care of their families... Now if you had it your way, it seems, they would have been out on the street long before MJ died......you would have helped add to the list of people and families that are homeless and starving. When you buy a mansion you employ many, feed many, help many.....

This is way it is important that we ourselves do what we can to help the homeless and starving and not try an dictate what others should do.

But I find no fault in anything that you believe......

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi
In today's PC world, you will get "tension" if you expose a false prophet.
My opinion is lack of calling out false prophets is partly why we are in such a great falling away and why evil men and seducers will wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
To much ear tickling and not enough rebuking with love.
But both Paul and John did it in the bible.
Even named them, Alexander the copper smith, Demus, Diotrephes,, etc.
First, make sure you are correct, it's not good to spread false rumors and gossip. (Pro 6)
Always go with the direction in Matt 18:15-17, And then you have a duty to warn others about the false prophet.
Read Eze chapter 3 and chapter 33 for further direction on your responsibility.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They were rich......Maybe not your idea of rich. We dont all have the same tastes and desires. Some desire minivans, while others sports cars. I would not tell the one, who wants the minivan, that he has to have the sports car instead.... For they wont like it because it is not what they desire...

Also note that there are many who are employed by those mansion and their upkeep. Hundreds were devastated when MJackson died. His mansion kept their kids fed and clothed....now they felt they were out on the streets not knowing how they will take care of their families... Now if you had it your way, it seems, they would have been out on the street long before MJ died......you would have helped add to the list of people and families that are homeless and starving. When you buy a mansion you employ many, feed many, help many.....

This is way it is important that we ourselves do what we can to help the homeless and starving and not try an dictate what others should do.

But I find no fault in anything that you believe......
M. Jackson isnt a teacher and i have no desire to follow or judge his lifestyle. Im referring to teachers. The apostles were not rich. They endured hunger, nakedness and sleepless nights.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.