What’s wrong with calling out false teachers by name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

There just seems to be tension surrounding the whole thing. But why? If someone is misleading the church, why shouldn’t we call them out by name? I don’t know if I really get it.

Thanks guys.

God bless.
Nothing if you KNOW they are false teachers trying to lead people astray. But, could it be that they simply have a different interpretation than you on something neither one of you can prove with 100% certainty? Could they simply be "wrong" but not have an evil intent? That is what we have to determine and if we can't, with 100% certainty, then we should remain silent until we are. Because if we make a mistake, then we have defamed another member of the body of Christ for nothing, which I can show, is probably as big a sin as anything you would have accused them of.

Upvote 0

Ashley755

Aug 9, 2018
south-central region
✟36,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nothing if you KNOW they are false teachers trying to lead people astray. But, could it be that they simply have a different interpretation than you on something neither one of you can prove with 100% certainty? Could they simply be "wrong" but not have an evil intent? That is what we have to determine and if we can't, with 100% certainty, then we should remain silent until we are. Because if we make a mistake, then we have defamed another member of the body of Christ for nothing, which I can show, is probably as big a sin as anything you would have accused them of.
Yes, I think you make a point. Certainly, there are some who might have spoken something against the word of God with the best of intentions in spite. I know I’ve made mistakes in ministry before. I guess I am low-key referring the “prosperity gospel” or “word of faith” kind of stuff, that goes against what the Scriptures actually say. These are absolutely wrong. But you’re right, I think. We probably should be careful about who we accuse of false teaching/preaching based on the reasons you listed. And if someone is wrong, but has the right intentions, I can’t see any reason why we shouldn’t acknowlege both of those things when speaking about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think you make a point. Certainly, there are some who might have spoken something against the word of God with the best of intentions in spite. I know I’ve made mistakes in ministry before. I guess I am low-key referring the “prosperity gospel” or “word of faith” kind of stuff, that goes against what the scriptures actually say. But you’re right, I think. We probably should be careful about who we accuse of false teaching/preaching based on the reasons you listed. And if someone is wrong, but has the right intentions, I can’t see any reason why we shouldn’t acknowlege both of those things when speaking about them.
I always ask people when it comes to a situation like this or similar.... "Did you know 5 years ago what you know today?" And then, "Do you expect to know more in 5 years then you today?" I get the obvious answers and then add, "Why do you believe everyone else should conform to the "current" version of you?" :)

Now, I know you're just asking a question, so "you" didn't mean you. Bottom line, in addition to what I just shared, not one of us has been perfected yet and therefore, by definition, are imperfect. We all will stand before God, ALL of us, and find out that we have been wrong about more things than we realize, and will give a collective Homer Simpson "DOH!" (with tears) at that truth. But it's ok... Messiah died pretty much for that reason! :)

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think we're on safer ground addressing questions of doctrine as opposed to personalities. Paul does call out certain persons that were enemies of Christ and false Christians, in fact he says he would that they would emasculate themselves (Galatians 5:12); but I'm not Paul so I don't feel comfortable making such a statement. I do believe we should be very vigilant about the spread of false doctrine and corruption of doctrine in the Church. I think if you go after doctrine over people you're less likely to be playing a game of false shepherd whack-a-mole, although the works of evil should be exposed generally so take it for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

Deborah D

Prayer Warrior
Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
USA
✟224,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello,

There just seems to be tension surrounding the whole thing. But why? If someone is misleading the church, why shouldn’t we call them out by name? I don’t know if I really get it.

Thanks guys.

God bless.

Hi, Ashley, I see that you're in Austin. (I assume that's Austin, Texas.) I graduated from U.T. Hook 'em horns! :)

To answer your question, it depends on HOW you call them out. I don't have a problem with naming names if we're not viciously attacking the person. But I've seen too many Christians saying slanderous things about preachers they don't like. They often misrepresent what these preachers actually teach. As far as I'm concerned, that amounts to lying. So, in God's Book, those kinds of criticisms are from the father of lies.

Consider what Paul said about criticizing other Christians in Romas 14:10-13--

But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the tribunal of God. For it is written:
As I live, says the Lord,
every knee will bow to Me,
and every tongue will give praise to God.
So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
Therefore, let us no longer criticize one another.
Of course, Jesus said not to judge (Matthew 7:1).

Do not judge, so that you won’t be judged. For with the judgment you use, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye but don’t notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and look, there’s a log in your eye? Hypocrite! First take the log out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.
That's not to say that we should never expose wrong teaching if people are being led astray. All-in-all, I think it's best to quote things that the preacher is teaching which you find to be unscriptural. But when you do, make sure to speak the truth in love (Eph. 4:15). IOW, love, not tearing someone down, needs to be your motive. If love isn't your motive, then the criticism can amount to gossip, and gossip can really damage a person's reputation.

Hope this helps. God bless!

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

Please, note, just as a courtesy, that calling other members or groups of members defined as "Christian" by the CF Statement of Belief is not allowed on CF. There are members that are Word of Faith and believe in the prosperity doctrine. We have a Faith Community for Word of Faith believers.

That said, doctrines and beliefs can be debated in the correct sections of the forums - but individuals cannot be told they are not Christian so long as they fall withing the CF definition of Christian - and WoF fall within that category.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we're on safer ground addressing questions of doctrine as opposed to personalities. Paul does call out certain persons that were enemies of Christ and false Christians, in fact he says he would that they would emasculate themselves (Galatians 5:12); but I'm not Paul so I don't feel comfortable making such a statement. I do believe we should be very vigilant about the spread of false doctrine and corruption of doctrine in the Church. I think if you go after doctrine over people you're less likely to be playing a game of false shepherd whack-a-mole, although the works of evil should be exposed generally so take it for what it's worth.
But Paul also learned under Gamaliel 24/7365 for at least a number of years. We go to church on Sunday, maybe Wednesday... and how many seriously study inbetween? And then, how many are truly active in their prayer life to the point where they are not just talking but waiting and listening? My being... Paul was well trained, most of us are not. We are better to err on the side of caution then to err and belittle a brother. But, that is my take. :)

Upvote 0

Deborah D

Prayer Warrior
Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
USA
✟224,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
MOD HAT ON

Please, note, just as a courtesy, that calling other members or groups of members defined as "Christian" by the CF Statement of Belief is not allowed on CF. There are members that are Word of Faith and believe in the prosperity doctrine. We have a Faith Community for Word of Faith believers.

That said, doctrines and beliefs can be debated in the correct sections of the forums - but individuals cannot be told they are not Christian so long as they fall withing the CF definition of Christian - and WoF fall within that category.

MOD HAT OFF
Thank you for posting this!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.
Many things said by people on CF dont make sense.

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.

"call them out" .... nothing wrong with reasoning with the scriptures, depending on what is questioned ... one may agree to disagree ... or perhaps other choices are made. Everything needs to be backed up with Gods Word, however, interpretations vary, so really it ends up what one chooses to believe according to their knowledge of Gods Word and how they are led by the Holy Spirit. Bible says theres going to be many mis-led.

Mark 13:22

For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.

Who says we can't call them out by name?

[Edit: After perusing this thread, I see the wider scope of the discussion...]

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.
I find it more productive to prove from Scripture the falseness of their teachings rather than simply labeling them. That's the preferred method on these forums.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I think you make a point. Certainly, there are some who might have spoken something against the word of God with the best of intentions in spite. I know I’ve made mistakes in ministry before. I guess I am low-key referring the “prosperity gospel” or “word of faith” kind of stuff, that goes against what the Scriptures actually say. These are absolutely wrong. But you’re right, I think. We probably should be careful about who we accuse of false teaching/preaching based on the reasons you listed. And if someone is wrong, but has the right intentions, I can’t see any reason why we shouldn’t acknowlege both of those things when speaking about them.

EDIT I've edited the following in order to get what I need to say, said, but stay within the guidelines of what is allowed to be said on CF.

As mentioned, do at least some research, but chances are you'll find several hucksters that it's our duty to call out, when and where we can, and I wouldn't have the least bit of a problem doing so. Some false prophets put on a fairly convincing show, and by trickery, make themselves appear holy (just what some like to see) and If we care for our Christian brother, what else can we do but expose the quacks. Enough speak against them, regardless of the toes that get stepped on, the better the chance at least a few will see, and get out.

Ephesians 5:11 ESV
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

And if there ever were "works of darkness", it's the work of false prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.

If you can point out the error in scripture then call them out. Discernment is a rare gift these days. But be prepared to be ostracized, this would probably be their defense if you are right.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who says we can't call them out by name?

Edited

Very popular opinion, as well as a convenient opinion for the hucksters themselves, to play the "judgmental" card when called out, but we're just calling them out, not doing the judging. IOW, if we see someone murder someone and call them a murderer, are we judging them? No we're just calling them what they are, and if someone calls themselves Christian, but are clearly, and grossly going against Christian standards (and we all know that happens all the time) then they need to be called out. If it's not real obvious what they are doing and all to often it's very obvious, we should be careful with our decisions, and do our best to discern properly...the net will help a lot with that.

I'm not talking about site rules here, but generally I think the ones who push not to name names are the people WITH the names. I recall seeing one of these false profits on video getting angry, and telling us we should not call out "men of God", kind of like a threat, as in, God is going to get you, and all. How convenient. God might get us if we don't. :)

As to your question, I missed the mods comment when I first posted, but the site says we can't call them out by name, not here anyway.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus spoke of the enemy sowing the seeds of tares among the wheat - that is the kingdom. When I read that parable, it seems that He is saying "I sowed good seed (Isaiah 5:2), taking the kingdom from the wicked farmers (Matthew 21:43), but while men slept (Matthew 13:25), the enemy came and sowed worthless seeds that grew and choked out the wheat - making it's yield very pitiful (2 Peter 2:1-2). So there certainly are false teachers within Christianity. But, does that mean that they aren't Christian by the definition? .. I think that by a spiritual definition, we can say that (1 Corinthians 2:14-15), but because the ones who are false teachers are still carnal - they haven't been born from above, then what they consider to be the Kingdom of God is what they see with their physical eyes: ordination/title. Therefore, if a person says they are Christian and they agree to believe whatever the Nicene Creed means to them, then they are Christian for the purpose of the website's rules (and for the purpose of any carnal judgement, as say an outsider might think Christianity is divided). But we who are on the inside, who discern the spirit, we recognise that they are still on the outside.

But, remember too, there is a detail in the parable that darnel is similar to wheat.. so it isn't until it comes to maturity and produces a crop that we can truly see it's gene. This is partly why Jesus says to us "no, don't uproot them because you might also uproot the wheat".

.. so, we can breathe the life into those who seek it, we don't need to go tearing out the darnel.. because when it comes down to it, the seeker can see that there is conflicting ideas and the more they compare the fruit of our teaching, the more it becomes obvious to them just what our genes are.

It is sad though, that often there is only darnel and no wheat in sight.. and then they've gotten so fed up with the weediness of Christianity that they don't even know how to appreciate wheat anymore!

:swoon:

.. anyhow, we keep doing what we do, looking for that bountiful harvest :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that is a popular opinion, that we shouldn't judge, but we're just calling them out, not doing the judging. I think the ones who push not to name names are the people WITH the names. :)
You may be right. We are to judge our teachers, not blindly follow them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EJ M

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2018
MT
✟91,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thanks guys.

God bless.
Hi
In today's PC world, you will get "tension" if you expose a false prophet.
My opinion is lack of calling out false prophets is partly why we are in such a great falling away and why evil men and seducers will wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
To much ear tickling and not enough rebuking with love.
But both Paul and John did it in the bible.
Even named them, Alexander the copper smith, Demus, Diotrephes,, etc.
First, make sure you are correct, it's not good to spread false rumors and gossip. (Pro 6)
Always go with the direction in Matt 18:15-17, And then you have a duty to warn others about the false prophet.
Read Eze chapter 3 and chapter 33 for further direction on your responsibility.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.