Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've read many post where people church hop. Why does that happen? Do you look for a community that agrees with what you believe or does it have more to do with interesting preachers? Thank you for you answers.

Hi concretecamper, good question. I started going to Calvary Chapel because they taught the Bible verse by verse, chapter by chapter, book by book on Sunday mornings. I was saved listening to one of their teachers on the radio. Then I had a very rough 3 years where I had a mental breakdown, and I left the area I was living in and returned to my hometown. My parents were attending the Methodist church, so I began attending even though I had some doctrinal issues with it. Now I am leading the only Bible study the church offers and I feel like I would be abandoning those who faithfully attend if I left the church, not to mention the other members of the congregation that I am friends with, and my parents. I am hoping that I will find a job out of the area so I can have a good reason to switch churches, but for now I think I am called to be a witness at the place I am.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

quidam65

Mar 19, 2018
DFW
✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wasn't born in the church nursery if you know what I mean. But it was a Baptist church (not sure what type) that invited me to start coming. Then when someone got ill and stopped picking me up, I stopped going (parents weren't Christians then).

Then a Southern Baptist church invited me and they kept up. Though not active now (I have major issues about the direction of congregations in general) if I were to go back I know where I would attend. And yes it's a SBC church.

Upvote 0

princesstatyanna

Mar 25, 2018
Mississippi
✟16,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Just wondering if people here were brought up in the Baptist denomination or joined it at a later date. I was brought up in the Religious Society of Friends, but attended many different churches in different locations over the years, but when my husband - he was brought up in the Brethren - and I were first married, we decided to go to the nearest evangelical church to where we were living, which happened to be Baptist and have remained Baptist ever since - 45 years in August this year.

Gillian
I was brought up in a Baptist church.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My father was Catholic, and my mother was Seventh-day Adventist. By the time I was born both had dropped out of their respective faiths, so our household had no spiritual emphasis. My grandparents offered to take my brother and I to the Seventh-day Adventist church, so I would go each week, but it was not until reading the Scriptures during high school that I came to know Christ and His grace. At the same time we had an Adventist preacher who preached Christ's grace every week (a rarity), which sank in.

I went on to be a minister in the Seventh-day Adventist church for ten years before realizing there were several doctrines I could not reconcile with Scripture. At that point I resigned. We wound up moving to another part of the country at the same time, so we went to various churches. The Baptists were pretty much last on our list! But the American Baptist church we wound up at had a great emphasis on the Bible, and studying through books of the Bible during class. They were very welcoming, and allowed us to become involved in their ministries.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was raised in a Baptist church but didn't actually embrace it until I started walking in my faith when I was an adult. Until then, I thought Baptists were no different than any other protestants like Methodists or Presbyterians. Of course that was completely ignorant.

I joined the church I'm at because of their passion for soul-winning and preaching the Gospel to the lost, which is not something you find much these days, even amongst Baptist churches. I'm joyful to be a hard-working, soul-winning Baptist, and will be until I die.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in a Baptist church but didn't actually embrace it until I started walking in my faith when I was an adult. Until then, I thought Baptists were no different than any other protestants like Methodists or Presbyterians. Of course that was completely ignorant.

I joined the church I'm at because of their passion for soul-winning and preaching the Gospel to the lost, which is not something you find much these days, even amongst Baptist churches. I'm joyful to be a hard-working, soul-winning Baptist, and will be until I die.

Fantastic. Do they emphasize personal studies with others, street preaching, witnessing indvidually, evangelistic meetings, etc.? What methods do they tend to emphasize?

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fantastic. Do they emphasize personal studies with others, street preaching, witnessing indvidually, evangelistic meetings, etc.? What methods do they tend to emphasize?
The primary method is picking a neighborhood in the city and going to said neighborhood with a group of people, pairing them off as a team, and sending them door to door to give it to anyone who is willing to listen. So far, (according to the bulletin from last Sunday), they've had 832 salvations since the year began. Then yesterday, after church, another member and I went and did some soul-winning, and got another person saved. So, that's the primary method, but of course there is individual witnessing and evangelism (like with co-workers and family, etc.).

They don't like street-preaching so much because the church elders don't feel as if it's effective. Hardly anyone is ever willing to get saved when street-preaching because there's usually a crowd, and people feel uncomfortable and under pressure. But meeting people on their own doorstep usually provides enough comfort so as to listen and react according to the power of God's word when presented to them.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The primary method is picking a neighborhood in the city and going to said neighborhood with a group of people, pairing them off as a team, and sending them door to door to give it to anyone who is willing to listen. So far, (according to the bulletin from last Sunday), they've had 832 salvations since the year began. Then yesterday, after church, another member and I went and did some soul-winning, and got another person saved. So, that's the primary method, but of course there is individual witnessing and evangelism (like with co-workers and family, etc.).

They don't like street-preaching so much because the church elders don't feel as if it's effective. Hardly anyone is ever willing to get saved when street-preaching because there's usually a crowd, and people feel uncomfortable and under pressure. But meeting people on their own doorstep usually provides enough comfort so as to listen and react according to the power of God's word when presented to them.

Interesting! I would usually find about 1-5 people per hour willing to do Bible study going door to door. I know a lot of people don't care for the method because they feel it is intrusive, but it goes to where they are at and gives an opportunity to people who might otherwise not get it.

I may have to start back up. I have not found other methods to be as good as far as just numbers of people willing to study. Evangelistic meetings can get a lot of folks interested, but cost more compared to just going to homes.

In the new region we moved to there are a lot more laws about door to door visitors. We ran into some legal problems even where we were at as Adventists, but generally once it got hashed out they realized we were not selling anything and could not hold us.

Do you run into any legal roadblocks at times?

I do think personal witnessing is the most natural method with friends, family, etc.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting! I would usually find about 1-5 people per hour willing to do Bible study going door to door. I know a lot of people don't care for the method because they feel it is intrusive, but it goes to where they are at and gives an opportunity to people who might otherwise not get it.

I may have to start back up. I have not found other methods to be as good as far as just numbers of people willing to study. Evangelistic meetings can get a lot of folks interested, but cost more compared to just going to homes.

In the new region we moved to there are a lot more laws about door to door visitors. We ran into some legal problems even where we were at as Adventists, but generally once it got hashed out they realized we were not selling anything and could not hold us.

Do you run into any legal roadblocks at times?

I do think personal witnessing is the most natural method with friends, family, etc.
For the longest time, that's how I felt about the door-to-door method. I was afraid of either being thought of as a Jehovah's Witness or being annoying, and wouldn't do it either way until I realized that it truly worked and once I started doing it, it became almost addicting getting to meet and talk to people, and to give them the opportunity for salvation. It also helped me to get over my fear of rejection.

As far as the legal aspect of it, I've not really pushed my luck. If a person asks me to leave, of course I do, but most people are too nice to threaten, so I've never been threatened. I've never personally ran into any legal problems, but I know of people that have, when they have evangelized door-to-door at an apartment complex, and the owner or one of the tenants have called the police because of "harassment" and "disturbing the peace." The officers simply demanded they leave and not come back, which is fine - their loss, it would seem.

I find personal evangelism more difficult because the people often know you, which can present some difficulties. Although, it can also provide an avenue of trust depending upon the relationship.

So, where you live, no one is allowed to approach a door to try and sell the person something? That's really interesting and would present many difficulties for evangelism, I would imagine. Even if they couldn't hold anything against you legally, the people must already have some stigma against unknown strangers coming up to their doorstep.

Personally, for me, I've noticed that people in poorer neighborhoods are generally way more receptive and available to talk. Honestly, they're even more open-minded and willing to talk than those in richer neighborhoods. But the church I'm at tries to keep the policy of having "no respecter of persons" so we still go to the wealthier neighborhoods too.

• Agree
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as the legal aspect of it, I've not really pushed my luck. If a person asks me to leave, of course I do, but most people are too nice to threaten, so I've never been threatened. I've never personally ran into any legal problems, but I know of people that have, when they have evangelized door-to-door at an apartment complex, and the owner or one of the tenants have called the police because of "harassment" and "disturbing the peace." The officers simply demanded they leave and not come back, which is fine - their loss, it would seem.

We covered entire towns in rural areas. If they particularly posted not to go we would avoid it. Yes, obviously if someone says to go, then you go. Even the disciples were instructed to shake dust off their feet.

We have been told to move on to other areas or towns as well, and yeah there is not a lot you can do.

We did have more a problem with occasionally drunk, drugged or violent people threatening us, but we would pray, move on and understand that it is just part of it and we would depend on Christ.

I find personal evangelism more difficult because the people often know you, which can present some difficulties. Although, it can also provide an avenue of trust depending upon the relationship.

So, where you live, no one is allowed to approach a door to try and sell the person something? That's really interesting and would present many difficulties for evangelism, I would imagine. Even if they couldn't hold anything against you legally, the people must already have some stigma against unknown strangers coming up to their doorstep. And police are called at times.

Personally, for me, I've noticed that people in poorer neighborhoods are generally way more receptive and available to talk. Honestly, they're even more open-minded and willing to talk than those in richer neighborhoods. But the church I'm at tries to keep the policy of having "no respecter of persons" so we still go to the wealthier neighborhoods too.

They are very stand-offish in regards to any door to door activity. I have to look up the specific legal restrictions, but you see a lot of complaints and negativity about it in the Facebook page for the town.

I would agree with you that the poorer neighborhoods were always more receptive.

In previous years in the town it was different. In fact a church in the past could get a list of new people moving into town for the purpose of visiting them.

• Agree
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We covered entire towns in rural areas. If they particularly posted not to go we would avoid it. Yes, obviously if someone says to go, then you go. Even the disciples were instructed to shake dust off their feet.

We have been told to move on to other areas or towns as well, and yeah there is not a lot you can do.

We did have more a problem with occasionally drunk, drugged or violent people threatening us, but we would pray, move on and understand that it is just part of it and we would depend on Christ.

They are very stand-offish in regards to any door to door activity. I have to look up the specific legal restrictions, but you see a lot of complaints and negativity about it in the Facebook page for the town.

I would agree with you that the poorer neighborhoods were always more receptive.

In previous years in the town it was different. In fact a church in the past could get a list of new people moving into town for the purpose of visiting them.
Imagine how many people would get saved if this was the common thing for Christian churches to do, you know? This world would definitely be better off if that were the case.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine how many people would get saved if this was the common thing for Christian churches to do, you know? This world would definitely be better off if that were the case.

It is certainly not common. But there is a reason that JW's and Mormons, etc. go door to door. They get people to listen.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The primary method is picking a neighborhood in the city and going to said neighborhood with a group of people, pairing them off as a team, and sending them door to door to give it to anyone who is willing to listen.

This is a bit off the trail of the original post, but posting seems to have slowed on that point anyway.

What method do they use when going? We would usually arrange several sessions. It sounds like they were going for a decision for Christ on the first contact?

Was there a particular lead you would use when they first opened the door, or just leave it up the to the Spirit as to where it goes?

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a bit off the trail of the original post, but posting seems to have slowed on that point anyway.

What method do they use when going? We would usually arrange several sessions. It sounds like they were going for a decision for Christ on the first contact?

Was there a particular lead you would use when they first opened the door, or just leave it up the to the Spirit as to where it goes?
Well, we have a particular day out of the week that is our designated "soul-winning" time which is Saturday in the morning. However, there are many who go on Sunday after the church service in the morning until the time when the evening service starts. We target a specific neighborhood that we either haven't been to yet, or one that we haven't been to in a long time and we take a team out there, splitting up people in pairs, men with men and women with women. One of the paired persons is a talker who gives the Gospel, asks the questions, and leads the prayers, and the other is a silent partner who holds the books, CDs, tracts, Bibles, etc. that we give to those who get saved or are willing to accept them. The silent partner position is perfect for those who have never done soul-winning before, so they can get experience and an example of how to do it, as well as having the gratification of participating in giving the opportunities for people to receive salvation.
Also, with each contact, we give people (who are willing to listen and don't slam the doors in our face), the choice to accept or reject the Gospel; we go through all of the points and explain it to them in full, and afterwards ask if they want to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Most who are willing to listen and engage seem to lean more towards it, and many who are already saved are able to have their faith reassured, especially those that are out of a church and don't regularly walk in the Spirit.

When we knock on the door, we always invite them to our church and ask them where they go to church if they do go to one (which is the perfect ice-breaker for getting the subject rolling, and also gives an idea as to what they most likely believe regarding the faith); then no matter what they answer, we always ask something to the effect of, "God forbid, if you died today, do you know with certainty that you would go to heaven?" And depending upon their answers, we give them the Gospel by walking through certain key scriptures with them in the Bible if they're willing, which takes no more than usually 10 to 15 minutes. Sometimes, we come across strong men and women in the faith that answer every question and even back up their beliefs with the scriptures we already have selected, which is always a fantastic thing to see, and even sometimes, we come across people who don't even know who Jesus Christ is; or, if they do know the name, they don't know why its significant or what it means.

Our style is probably more on the aggressive side (not as in offensive or mean, but direct and confrontational). What about you guys?

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Applekrate

Site Supporter
Apr 2, 2017
Arizona
✟127,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was brought up in Roman Catholic Church.
Through friends I was introduced to Baptist church in my late teens.

Over the years I have been to Uniting Church, Non denominational, Asssembly of God and since 2011 Baptist churches.
I was baptised in 2011 (finally).
Very similar faith history for me as well. Brought up Catholic. Became protestant mid to late 20s. Attended my first Baptist church service by invitation a dozen or so years back and was floored! I walked out of that Baptist service impressed and thinking "this is hard core" Christianity! So, have steered to Baptist churches since and belong to one or another for several years.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Lutheran, and drifted away from Christianity for years. Was confronted with Christ in a direct, unapologetic way by Baptist Christians from India. Thanks to their prayers and witnessing, I realized that I needed Christ, and was what a Baptist would describe as born again through faith.

We attended Baptist churches for several years. Have always loved the Baptists for their emphasis on Scripture, conservatism, and prayerful love of God.

Am no longer Baptist, but still love them.

What church do you belong to/attend now, Gracia?

Gillian

Upvote 0