✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Just wondering if people here were brought up in the Baptist denomination or joined it at a later date. I was brought up in the Religious Society of Friends, but attended many different churches in different locations over the years, but when my husband - he was brought up in the Brethren - and I were first married, we decided to go to the nearest evangelical church to where we were living, which happened to be Baptist and have remained Baptist ever since - 45 years in August this year.

Gillian

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was born and raised in a Baptist church. However, my parents never restricted us (my siblings) to be Baptist. My baby brother attended a Church of God. My mother was raised Presbyterian, but converted to Baptist.

I was saved in small Baptist church in 1974. And haven't looked back ever since.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

JoeyChris

Feb 1, 2018
Gladstone
✟8,794.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was brought up in Roman Catholic Church.
Through friends I was introduced to Baptist church in my late teens.

Over the years I have been to Uniting Church, Non denominational, Asssembly of God and since 2011 Baptist churches.
I was baptised in 2011 (finally).

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't become a Christian until my mid-twenties, and I was saved through the Calvary Chapel movement. I went through a VERY rocky 3 years away from the faith, and since I came back to the faith I have attended a United Methodist church. I have just received my Bachelor in Biblical and Educational Studies through Liberty University, and would say that my theology is closer to Baptist than anything else.

I have been contemplating moving to the local Baptist church, but it is hard to leave the friends and family I have at the Methodist church. But the current controversy over homosexuality is opening my eyes to how liberal the denomination has become... sigh

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised in the Catholic tradition. At the start of 2014 I started going to a Baptist church. Since then I have had a believers Baptism.

God bless

Please understand, I mean no disrespect, but is very rare that Catholic walks away from the Catholic church.

May I ask what led to this?

If your not comfortable talking openly, please feel free to PM me.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't raised as a Christian. In my 20s I was led to salvation by a Baptist pastor, joined the church and was baptized there. I wandered off for 30+ years. When God finally brought me to my senses I returned to the same church again.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in the Methodist Church. Started attending my current SBC church when I started dating my wife in 2005. Now I am a student at SBTS, even though my Methodist upbringing comes out in discussing the doctrines of election and God's sovereignty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've read many post where people church hop. Why does that happen? Do you look for a community that agrees with what you believe or does it have more to do with interesting preachers? Thank you for you answers.

It happens for many reasons, most of which are not glorifying to God. Sometimes, people don't want to stick around long enough to be known and held accountable . Sometimes, people leave when the church won't underwrite their sin. Sometimes, it's a desire for novelty and freshness. And, I suppose that there are hundreds of other reasons that people church hop. I believe that there a few godly reasons to leave a lical church, but these might include an unbiblical or exceptionally dysfunctional fellowship, moving out of the area where the church is located, or a direct call to ministry elsewhere. I can't think of many other good reasons to part ways with a local church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your birthday greetings, Sam 91!

I was brought up in the Religious Society of Friends. Whenever there were joint church activities in our town, the Baptists never joined in. When I was at university in Dublin a lot of the students went to one of the Baptist churches - a big attraction was that students were invited to the manse for supper sfter the service. I didn’t go there all the time, but enjoyed when I did go. When I sent to Liverpool to work after leaving university

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My post continued - I must have hit Post Reply by mistake. I was going to say When I went to Liverpool to work after leaving university, I initially went to an Anglican church since I was staying with an Anglican clergyman and his wife, but ended up going to a Baptist church because friends were going there.

Just before we got married, my husband-to-be and I decided we would attend church at the nearest church to where we would be living and that church happened to be the Baptist church we had attended as students. A few months later I was baptised - my husband had already been baptised, having been brought up in the Brethren - and our pastor advised that we should become members of the church, which we did and have stayed Baptist ever since.

My mother was brought up in the Brethren and married a Quaker. I was brought up a Quaker and married a Brethren man and we ended up as Baptists.

Gillian

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised Lutheran, and drifted away from Christianity for years. Was confronted with Christ in a direct, unapologetic way by Baptist Christians from India. Thanks to their prayers and witnessing, I realized that I needed Christ, and was what a Baptist would describe as born again through faith.

We attended Baptist churches for several years. Have always loved the Baptists for their emphasis on Scripture, conservatism, and prayerful love of God.

Am no longer Baptist, but still love them.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised Lutheran, and drifted away from Christianity for years. Was confronted with Christ in a direct, unapologetic way by Baptist Christians from India. Thanks to their prayers and witnessing, I realized that I needed Christ, and was what a Baptist would describe as born again through faith.

We attended Baptist churches for several years. Have always loved the Baptists for their emphasis on Scripture, conservatism, and prayerful love of God.

Am no longer Baptist, but still love them.

If I may say so, that's quite inspiring.

And, if I may say so, I would suggest reading up on the life of "Adoniram Judson, Jr", first Baptist missionary to Burma.

I think you will like it.

God Bless

Till all are one.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most of my different churches was because of moving. There were multiple reasons that I left my last Church. It was a church that lost its pastors the time I arrived. Visitor preachers actually expected everyone to be able to speak in tongues. People around me were actively sinning. Coming to church under the influence of drugs. A woman said infront of pastors wife about the fact she is going to start having casual sex. There was no correction... at all

And I would get funny looks for trying to follow the Bible.

However, it was under the advice of a Baptist preacher that I should leave (for safety reasons), which I already knew. I was scared that I had itchy ears and thought God had lead me there because my private reading was getting backed up every Sunday. However, this continued at the new Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0