Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The priest of the OCA parish in Bozeman emailed us that they are going to be putting up the cross for the new monastery that is going to be established nearby on Friday. Evidently, it is going to be an offshoot of the Monastery of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco. A member of the parish donated the land. Both Fr. Meletios and Bishop Benjamin are going to be there for this. I just wish I could attend. It will be so nice to have a monastery within distance that would only take 2 hours or so to get to. The parish also has a piece of land to build a real Orthodox temple and a cemetery. I am really glad for our sister parish in Bozeman.

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The priest of the OCA parish in Bozeman emailed us that they are going to be putting up the cross for the new monastery that is going to be established nearby on Friday. Evidently, it is going to be an offshoot of the Monastery of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco. A member of the parish donated the land. Both Fr. Meletios and Bishop Benjamin are going to be there for this. I just wish I could attend. It will be so nice to have a monastery within distance that would only take 2 hours or so to get to. The parish also has a piece of land to build a real Orthodox temple and a cemetery. I am really glad for our sister parish in Bozeman.

Any word of which monks from that monastery (St. John of Shanghai) will be joining the new one?

Will this be similar in character to the Monastery of St. John or more of a skete / hermitage for monks from St. John to move to if they are called to that life?

If you know none of the answers to the above that's totally fine; I figured it couldn't hurt to ask :sorry:

Great news though - and I'm really glad to see the Monastery of St. John found an offshoot; they're a solid group of monks and, at least to my impression, a really healthy monastery.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know yet. Fr. Meletios served in Montana for awhile at one of the Greek parishes (I don't know if it was in Missoula or Great Falls). Winter in Montana will be a lot different than California for sure. We need monasteries in this part of the country.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,468,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know in my hometown Lancaster, PA, there is a lot of farmland and Mother Christophora of Holy Transfiguration said that some of those farms would be perfect places for a monastery to be built, so maybe what is happening near you can happen near where I come from.

here's to hoping

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know yet. Fr. Meletios served in Montana for awhile at one of the Greek parishes (I don't know if it was in Missoula or Great Falls). Winter in Montana will be a lot different than California for sure. We need monasteries in this part of the country.

Winter in Manton is snowy and cold - probably not to the degree that Montana is, but its not a coastal climate down there.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Winter in Manton is snowy and cold - probably not to the degree that Montana is, but its not a coastal climate down there.

It is not unusual to have it get to -20 or -30 degrees (without the wind chill figured in) in winter here. It is beautiful country around where the monastery will be though. One winter when I lived in Helena, it didn't get above 0 for two weeks and was diving to -25 to -30 at night (again without the wind chills).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums