Were any other guys kinda disturbed by this?

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No foul language, but still probably NSFW.

The Talk Catherine Kieu - YouTube

I'd expect something like this from a classless person like Sharon, but the women in the audience seemed to love every minute of it. "That'll teach him!"

Unmarried celibacy sounds better and better as time goes on.

It is a form of dehumanization, the same way T.S..A dehumanizes airplane passengars by lauging at their naked bodies scanned by terahertz scanners and groping them without decent warrants. "Oh, lets [nervously] laugh at a man's genetelia being cut off."

It isn't funny when things like this happen to either gender, and to be able to laugh and joke about things like this is absurd to me. I didn't laugh when Lorenna Bobbit cut off her husband's penis - and she claimed he raped her often (which makes her action understandable, but not acceptable.)

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, generally "people" need to pay a bit more attention then.

I honestly always assumed that it was a sarcastic label applied to misogynists who claim that feminism is a way of discriminating against them by allowing women to participate in education and work (rather than sleeping with them and raising their children). I've never heard it applied to masculism in the classical sense, where it's used to mean people who support gender equality and the abolition of patriarchy, but with a focus on the stereotyping and mistreatment of men as a result of the older system.

Edit: Wait, estd 2010? Bloody hell ^_^
Obviously I know that masculism is older than that. I'm referring exclusively to the misogynist and disgusting strand sometimes called virism that most "men's rights advocates" online hold to (I'm putting the term in quotation marks now, to be clear about who I'm referring to). Its modern incarnation is relatively new, even though the idea is a reactionary strand against feminism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ahhh... ok. Good to know.

Somehow, I made it through 47 years without realizing that I'm supposed to ask for your approval before dealing with tragedy.

Given your inability to read what people have written I'm not surprised you've come to that conclusion.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Way to go, demonstrating the very problem with MRAs that you say needs to be cut through.

Sooooo....a bunch of women cackling about mutilating a guy ain't no thang, but a guy uses one bad word and it's a problem?

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Don't tell me how to post, Pal. Thanks.

Ironically you're telling me what to post. :D

I'm just saying it makes more sense to explain yourself.

Sure it does.

If you say so.

Trust me--it's ok. Really. It's just a joke, it won't hurt you. See? It's teeth aren't even all that big.

I don't think it will hurt me. I speak against bad things because I care about others too... it's not all about me.

I'm not too interested in what the offenderati think. If you want to be offended, knock yourself out. I'll be over here thinking funny thoughts. Not laughing at the guy, mind you--nothing but sympathy for him--but the situation in general? Yeah, there's some humor there.

So yeah, it's ok that it's funny.

I don't know if I'm offended really. It just doesn't sit comfortable with my conscience to laugh about a serious violation of another person.

Maybe you have a case when the idea is more general, but in this case the general situation is the violation of that specific individual.

By the way, I know I might be wrong.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I guess I see the issue differently. I don't see it as them laughing at the victim or the crime, but at the absurdity of the situation.

I think they are very connected, and you can't separate the absurdity from the crime and victim.

You might laugh, but I think it is right to regret it and no try to defend it.

Like the story, back a few years ago (several?), of the man who broke into a house to rob them, but the woman that lived there tied him up and sexually abused him for several days before releasing him. Was the crime itself funny? Of course not. But it was absurd, and there is comedy in that for many people.

I don't get how it's funny.

I saw this the same. They didn't laugh AT the man, but at how absurd the situation was overall.
"Oh, we are getting divorced, are we? Whelp, off with your head." Pun intended.

I'm more grey about jokes about horrible things when the joke are more general. The greater problem I have is when the joke it very connected to a specific violation. It's very close to laughing at the specific victim.

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm more grey about jokes about horrible things when the joke are more general. The greater problem I have is when the joke it very connected to a specific violation. It's very close to laughing at the specific victim.

This is kind of how I feel. I actually have a pretty dark sense of humor, but when the victim of something is a real human being, there's something deeply wrong about laughing at their expense.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Way to go, demonstrating the very problem with MRAs that you say needs to be cut through.

Sharon finds sexual mutilation funny, and she has a habit of mailing her solid waste to critics and journalists she doesn't like.

Yeah--harlot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I think they are very connected, and you can't separate the absurdity from the crime and victim.

You might laugh, but I think it is right to regret it and no try to defend it.

I get what you mean. I do. I see how it can be hard to separate.

But I also find it possible to separate the victim from the absurdity of the situation. The crime itself becoming a prop in the joke, but not actually at the victim's expense.

And I do not feel that anyone should regret or be made to feel about about a joke or what humor they find in a joke. That includes Sharon here, Tosh's jokes that got him in trouble, anyone.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Sooooo....a bunch of women cackling about mutilating a guy ain't no thang, but a guy uses one bad word and it's a problem?

When he just finished saying how misogyny and foul language get in the way of valid MRA issues and then uses misogynistic foul language, yeah, that's kind of a problem.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
LOL

You see what she did as respectable?

I wasn't addressing anything she said. I was addressing what he wrote. Whether what she said was respectable or not is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wasn't addressing anything she said. I was addressing what he wrote. Whether what she said was respectable or not is irrelevant.
You'd have a point if she wasn't a despicable human being.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Women, or feminists? And given the tendency of their critics to misclassify men's groups, I'm not really about to believe they were necessarily MRA websites.
I'm confused. Do you think that feminists have more hormones than women? Or you think that MRAs only say these things about feminists? Trust me, the websites I have seen are coded around how ridiculous women are, and how they were 'made' to be lower than man, and submit to his leadership because they're too empty headed/stupid/hysterical to operate on their own. I can't say more because my gorge begins to rise.

And society regularly downplays women's criminal activity, notably in cases of sexual offences. Can't blame "MRAs" for that.
Actually, in many cases, a woman is treated more severely because women aren't "supposed" to be violent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
By the way, I know I might be wrong.

You're not wrong, it's just that people are so uptight these days.

There's a theory that we find things most funny that are related to reproduction and bodily health--hence, why there's so much penis- and bathroom-humor. We make jokes about it because it breaks the tension. It keeps us from having to remember that we could get sick tomorrow or be mauled by a bear today.

It's less a I'm glad that guy got hurt and more a I'm celebrating that I'm still alive and thriving.

If the woman had cut off the man's nose or his foot or his ear instead of his penis, I doubt that we'd be having this discussion, so maybe there's something to that idea.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I just hope that poor man never saw that clip, nor any of the other people who may have laughed or joked about it on TV. He'll probably have to deal with a lot of teasing and torment from his guy friends already for the rest of his life. It's awful.

Again....the clip was of a bunch of women laughing at a violent attack....but it's the guy friends that are going to be the problem?

Upvote 0

Habbit Animal

All that wander are not lost -B4 asking directions
Jul 7, 2013
✟842.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd hope Ozzy was concerned when Sharon said, 'good for her!':doh:

These women are gross. They're pleased and cackling about a psycho-female who mutilated her husband by severing his penis, throwing it in a garbage disposal, and having him put at risk for bleeding to death.
They're psychotic. Pray for the men in their lives. Well, all except for the one who we should hope doesn't get mad at her lesbian lover when she thinks cutting a man's junk off is funny.

Upvote 0