Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Beautiful link Chevy. There is a lot of tradition in the church. Hopefully it goes along with scripture and not against it. I downloaded a Breviary app since I can't afford the books. I see there's a lot from the psaltery in there. I went to Mass today and heard the reading.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Beautiful link Chevy. There is a lot of tradition in the church. Hopefully it goes along with scripture and not against it. I downloaded a Breviary app since I can't afford the books. I see there's a lot from the psaltery in there. I went to Mass today and heard the reading.
There are a lot of resources for the Liturgy of the Hours. There is a four book version used typically by priests. The price scared me off. There was a one book version but it was actually way too complicated for me. Oh how I tried, but the permutations drove me crazy. I am now doing halfway OK with Magnificat, which is a monthly thing mailed to me and it has things nicely broken down by day. Lots of online resources too. One I gave a shot at was the Ordinariate Morning and Evening Prayers. They do this live over the phone. Those are the Catholics who joined as a group from Episcopalainism and Anglicanism. I'm not one of those folks, but a cradle Catholic so I decided that I would on occasion drop in but not otherwise dilute what they have going on from the old Prayerbook.

When you go looking for a particular Catholic parish, look for one which has adoration at least several days a week. My experience is those are the very best parishes. Probably because they do have an active prayer life if they can keep such a thing open.

Did you notice how the story of Naaman and the Psalm connected together to reinforce the idea that Israel was a gift to the nations? And then Jesus heals ten lepers. Only one was as thankful as Naaman, and that guy was a Samaritan.

Upvote 0

jisaiah6113

Oct 17, 2018
Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes I noticed. Israel was a gift to the nations and God saved them as a witness to the world to prepare the gospel for the Gentiles as well as the Jews, to bring salvation to the ends of the Earth. Jonah was angry when God decided to spare Nineveh but God told him something to the effect that He cares about Gentiles too.

Israel ultimately lost their position because they did not realize or even care to consider that the blessing God gave them was not for themselves. Jesus told a parable to this effect when He spoke of the wicked vinedressers, who killed the servants and then killed the son.

The Jews missed the time of their visitation and their rulers delivered Him to Pilate out of envy. They wanted the kingdom for themselves and even today it's not a lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world that they seem to desire, but a Jewish nationalist leader who will fulfill the earthly promises of human peace, apparently without dealing with the very real problem of sin that Christ dealt with on the cross. The Jews got self focused and like Jonah didn't want to believe that they were just one people among many, but God's precious and chosen people. But in their zeal they missed the plan of God and St. Paul lays it out for us. A remnant of Israel will return to the truth but most will be blinded.

Upvote 0