Weet-Bix

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Some information that has just come to hand is that "Weet-Bix" has been voted Australia's favourite Trademark.

Let me fill you in on this great win for Weet-Bix.

Weet-Bix is Australia's most sold breakfast food.

If you are not Australian you may not know that Weet-Bix is made by Sanitarium Health Foods Co. (SHF) which is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Australia and New Zealand.

I think it is fantastic to know that Weet-Bix has won this very sort after title. When you take into account all the brand names that competed to win and we came out on top.

"Have you had your Weet-Bix today"?

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
I've never had an opportunity to try vegemite, but I've heard bad things about it.

Don't try it, it is not made by SHF. Marmite is made by SHF that has B12 in it.

I'd never heard of Weet-Bix before, but that's great!

Come on now, everyone eats Weet-Bix for breakfast with SHF "So Good" on them.

Perhaps I should say that "So Good" is the Soy alternative to cows milk.

SHF provides most of the mission budget for the SPD. (South Pacific Div.)

Weet-Bix is the # 1 breakfast food in Australia and new Zealand.

Upvote 0

Dathen

Sep 21, 2006
✟1,682.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hey cliff2, I'm Aussie 2. From Victoria, where you from? I have weet- bix heaps. I think it's great how the SDA owns them and they are so well known. All these places try to make them and knoch them off, but none are as good. That's is great to know they won. Ans buy the way I had 4 weet-bix this morning, what about you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Wheaties, Total, Rice Krispies, etc. I don't know what brand is the most-sold here in the U.S. I think the most popular brand of soy milk here is Silk; it's in almost every grocery store now, even the little small-town stores where we live. I make my own soy milk, though, because it's cheaper.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Hey cliff2, I'm Aussie 2. From Victoria, where you from? I have weet- bix heaps. I think it's great how the SDA owns them and they are so well known. All these places try to make them and knoch them off, but none are as good. That's is great to know they won. Ans buy the way I had 4 weet-bix this morning, what about you?

Fantastic mate, really great.

When I was young I would always have at least 5 or 6 Weet-Bix for breakfast and then the same as soon as I arrived home from school.

Now I will often have the smae for breakfast and still at times will have some of a night time.

Their sugar content is very low compared to most breakfast foods.

Please everyone, look at who makes what you eat. Many times you could change and support Church made products and in turn support the Mission fields with their budgets.

So-Good is also made by SHF in Canada and very soon will be down into USA. So if you see it then try it.

Vegimite is made by Kraft who is owned by Phillip Morris and we all know aht else they make.

There is nothing horrible about Marmite. Spread it lightly on toast and it is very tasty.

Upvote 0

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
Queensland the Sunshine state :)
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Wheaties, Total, Rice Krispies, etc. I don't know what brand is the most-sold here in the U.S. I think the most popular brand of soy milk here is Silk; it's in almost every grocery store now, even the little small-town stores where we live. I make my own soy milk, though, because it's cheaper.
Woah you make your own soy milk... please tell me how that's done, because that's pretty much the only milk I drink.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please everyone, look at who makes what you eat. Many times you could change and support Church made products and in turn support the Mission fields with their budgets.

So-Good is also made by SHF in Canada and very soon will be down into USA. So if you see it then try it.

Vegimite is made by Kraft who is owned by Phillip Morris and we all know aht else they make.

There is nothing horrible about Marmite. Spread it lightly on toast and it is very tasty.

I'll look for So-Good if it makes its way here. We don't have many church-made products here. The companies that make fake meats are not Adventist-owned anymore; in fact, Worthington, Loma Linda, and Morningstar Farms are all owned by Kellogg's now, and those products are terribly unhealthy anyway. There is an Adventist company, Little Debbie, that makes snack cakes and other packaged dessert-type things--also not very healthy.

I read labels pretty carefully and make a lot of things from scratch. We don't buy much processed food. I make my own bread and soy milk. I sometimes make gluten as a meat substitute; otherwise, we get our protein from beans, lentils, tofu, etc. Cereal is expensive, too, so we haven't been buying it lately. Sometimes I make granola. The kids usually like oatmeal for breakfast.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
A packet of Weet-Bix (1Kg) costs here around $4.50, that would last us about a week with all of us (4) having them for breakfast.

I have to agree with Sophia's comment on fake meats. they are highly processed and not that healthy. I would be extremely careful about much gluten that you consume as a meat alternative. It is also not high on the products that are good for you.

Too much and that too much can be very little at a time can react with people that are gluten intolerant and make them very sick

In my family most of the girls can't take gluten at all and that even goes down to not using bread because it has gluten in it.

At our recent Camp I bought a machine that makes soy milk. It does not taste anywhere near as good as So-Good but much cheaper.

I can get a bag of beans (25 kg) for $8 so it will end up being very cheap soy milk.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Woah you make your own soy milk... please tell me how that's done, because that's pretty much the only milk I drink.

We have a soy-milk maker; you can make it without one, but it's much more work. Ours is a SoyaJoy, which has been well worth the money, considering how much we used to spend on soy milk. I buy organic, non-GMO soybeans--50 pounds at a time, which lasts a long time--and store them in the freezer. Then I soak the amount of soybeans that I am going to need overnight and make the soy milk in the morning. I usually make four batches at a time, which lasts about a week for our family. The machine makes 50 ounces in one batch (about 1.5 L, for those of you who use metric measurements), and it takes only 15 minues.

Homemade soy milk doesn't taste as good as store-bought, though. I had to do a lot of research to find out how to minimize the beany taste. Plain soy milk is really good for cooking, so I usually leave a couple of batches plain and then flavor the rest with vanilla and sweetener (I use stevia) and a little bit of salt for using on cereal or whatever. It's still not quite as tasty if you just drink it, but the kids like it. It also doesn't have the added nutrients that milk does, so it's a good idea to take vitamin and mineral supplements, especially for anyone who doesn't eat any animal products.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be extremely careful about much gluten that you consume as a meat alternative. It is also not high on the products that are good for you.

Too much and that too much can be very little at a time can react with people that are gluten intolerant and make them very sick

Yes, I agree that it should be used sparingly. Lots of people have trouble digesting it. I like to experiment with alternative grains (besides wheat) in my cooking as well.

Upvote 0