• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Weekly communion

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by LizaMarie, Jan 31, 2020.

1. tampasteve

tampasteve Steadfast Lutheran Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+2,809
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Not at all, I did not take it that way. :)

2. Tigger45

Tigger45 St. Francis of Assisi Supporter

+8,725
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I think Evangelical Catholic is a good label for high Church
    Lutherans. Originally they went by Evangelical and some still do and being that ‘Evangelical’ has taken on a new identity ‘Catholic’ makes it clear they are distinctly traditional.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,425
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    Take it from a former high church lutheran, Evangelical Catholic is the equivalant of our Anglo-Catholic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. LizaMarie

LizaMarie Newbie

+360
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    May I ask why you became Anglican, and are a former Lutheran?

5. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,161
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I live in SC.

My church (ACNA) has six weekend services and no daily communion service. We have communion on both SAT evening and Sunday. We do not have daily communion. I would note that at one of our locations, there is no communion at all.

The ACNA cathedral in Charleston doesn't have daily communion.

The TEC cathedral in Charleston does have communion at Tues noon, Wed 5:30 and TH noon. The MWF daily prayer services do not have communion. I would think that this is common in cathedral churches.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,425
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I work in the Boston cathedral and there is communion Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. But all at different times and with different communities.

7. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+13,573
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Our cathedral has a daily Eucharist (midday every day except Sunday). And I think that must be related more to how it sees its role in the city than its churchmanship, because the chapter have deliberately chosen to steer it away from being very anglo-catholic.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,425
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I was actually Anglican before becoming Lutheran and it's more of a case of going back. And the reason I went back to Anglicanism is that I found myself missing the Book of Common Prayer.

• List
  9. LizaMarie

LizaMarie Newbie

+360
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yes as of right now I believe in the "Branch Theory." I know my Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox friends would disagree with me. But I like the fact that you have bishops, and an ecclesiastical structure that the Lutherans don't have. But I'm sure that is maybe because Lutheranism started out as a protest movement against some of the abuses and doctrines of the RCC, whereas for the Church of England it is different?
    The Anglicans seem to have retained some things we haven't. I believe Luther was right on some basic issues(justification) but threw the baby out with the bathwater in others.

10. mark46

+3,161
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    And which are the "branches"? Catholics recognize the 2 lungs of the Church (ignoring the Oriential Church). Anglicans recognized 3 branches: Roman, Eastern and Anglican. Some would have Protestantism as a branch.

I tend to allow believe that there are branches of the Church. I think of 5, although I could be convinced of 3. Lutherans are the 4th, and the Oriental Church the 5th. Others deny the concept of Church and deny the Real Presence. In the end, there is a difference between one "Church" and one "church". Most who post here believe in both.

• List
  11. LizaMarie

LizaMarie Newbie

+360
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Interesting. What are your 5?
    I was thinking of Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant.
    Are you thinking of Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican and Lutheran?

12. mark46

+3,161
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Those are my five. The 5th might even be labelled Lutheran/Reformed.

I the great trouble thinking of Baptists as part of a Church in which they don't believe. Also, for me, the real presence is a unifying doctrine of the Church. Baptists don't even believe in doctrine, never mind real presence. I am not picking on Baptists. My first mentor was a Southern Baptist pastor; that was my first church. I am merely using the label for those who don't believe in Church, in the real presence or accept the creeds of the Church.
    =========
    I waffle a bit, I know. For example, I have met United Methodist Church members and congregations that are clearly part of the Church (they are indeed Anglicans). Many other Methodist are clearly not. I have also met Presbyterians who's views are clearly traditional; others who are not.

Much of the issue is how much many in this century have strayed from the teachings of Luther, Calvin and Wesley. Of course, many are true to those teachings.

• List
  13. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,425
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    There are Lutheran churches that have bishops. The Scandinavian churches never lost the episcopate and there is nothing in the confessions against bishops. And the current theology around bishops in Anglicanism is fairly new.

• List
  14. mark46

+3,161
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat

In the US, I believe that Lutherans have accepted Episcopal bishops as part of the agreement with The Episcopal Church (USA).

Episcopalian-Lutheran Merge Approved

Of course, this is not all Lutheran groups, just the ELCA, the largest Lutheran groups and the one that is part of the World Lutheran Federation.

15. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,425
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    The ELCA has bishops already, I think from the American Lutheran Church, but they were not in the apostolic succession. That's what Called to Common Mission did. All ELCA bishops from that point are now ordained into the apostolic succession, though the ELCA still has a very different understanding of the role of bishop then the Episcopal Church does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+23,787
    Anglican
    Married
    Yes, but the Lutheran churches are not normally included in the "branch theory" because too much else of their theology is not in the mode of the historic (i.e. catholic) faith.

17. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+13,573
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    That seems a bit harsh and/or hypocritical, coming from Anglicans...

18. everbecoming2007

everbecoming2007 Well-Known Member

+274
    Catholic
    Single
    Well, I can only say this is my own opinion, and I do not know of a stance on this issue that would officially bind Anglicans, but I would argue the boundaries of the Church are ambiguous. Many who said "Lord, Lord," will be told to depart, "I never knew you," and yet others will be recognized as faithful.

Furthermore, if we accept the validity of baptisms occurring in Baptist contexts, then in some way the baptized are joined to the Church. Certainly Baptist ministers intend to baptize even if we argued that their theology of baptism is incomplete or flawed.

I would be interested in understanding better the Baptist views of the visible Church. But there is a point to be had that their denial of sacraments distinguishes them. In fact, I do not see how some forms of reducing the sacraments to ordinances is not effectively to abolish at least the holy eucharist.

The (non-liturgical, non-sacramental) communion services I've seen in some contexts have been reduced to a private devotion, not even necessarily requiring an ordained minister or congregation. My great grandfather told me that we can remember the Lord anywhere, anytime. Therefore a pious Christian man or woman can observe the communion all alone in his bedroom with a cracker and grape juice, no formal liturgy or service required, no one else need be present. He didn't even see a need for the communion of the saints to be present spiritually for the ordinance. It was all based on "remembering."

I do not wish to presume what the Lord will do in such a circumstance. He is not, after all, bound to the sacraments, and he will honor a sincere faith and devotion, I believe. But if that is what communion has been reduced to in some communities or by some individuals, it seems to me that they have abolished one of the sacraments.

Some Oneness Pentecostal churches, I've heard, have gone as long as five years with no communion service. One I attended in my teenage years never had one as long as I was attending, and I suspect they had never had one.

19. Naomi4Christ

Naomi4Christ not a nutter Supporter

+1,197
    Anglican
    Private
    We have four services every Sunday and one of them will celebrate the Lord’s Supper in any given week. (Or we did up until now).

We also have a midweek communion service.