✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good morning

I have recently been invited to a wedding of a couple in the Body of Messiah, which will be on the Sabbath.

I am not so sure we should have weddings and parties etc on the Sabbath - if a coworker was to invite me to a wedding on the sabbath, I would not go.

I would not hold my wedding on the sabbath - it’s a day of stopping and focusing on God, and keeping it different from all other days.

I am open to insight on this, because I don’t want to hold the incorrect view on this, and cause unnecessary tension and divide should I not go.

I am curious what other Sabbath keepers think, as the Scriptures as silent regarding holding weddings on the Sabbath.

To me, having a wedding on the Sabbath would not be keeping the Sabbath set-apart.

I believe that there is mercy for a donkey in a ditch, aka emergency situations. But a wedding is not an emergency.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BobRyan

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Good morning

I have recently been invited to a wedding of a couple in the Body of Messiah, which will be on the Sabbath.

I am not so sure we should have weddings and parties etc on the Sabbath -

I tend to agree on that one. It is hard to put on a wedding without "Doing work" so not sure why they are planning it that way.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I tend to agree on that one. It is hard to put on a wedding without "Doing work" so not sure why they are planning it that way.
That has crossed my mind.

It would put people into the mode of “working” even if they are voluntarily doing it. We have 6 days of the week to do get married, party, celebrate etc.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My Messianic Congregation taught no weddings on Shabbat.

Chabad agrees:

Shabbat: Wedding ceremonies are not allowed on Shabbat, a biblically mandated day of rest. Technically, weddings can be held on Saturday night after the Shabbat concludes at nightfall, but no preparations for the wedding whatsoever may begin until nightfall. This makes Saturday night weddings extremely impractical during the winter, and virtually impossible during the long days of the summer months.

https://www.chabad.org/library/arti... wedding whatsoever may begin until nightfall.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My Messianic Congregation taught no weddings on Shabbat.

Chabad agrees:

Shabbat: Wedding ceremonies are not allowed on Shabbat, a biblically mandated day of rest. Technically, weddings can be held on Saturday night after the Shabbat concludes at nightfall, but no preparations for the wedding whatsoever may begin until nightfall. This makes Saturday night weddings extremely impractical during the winter, and virtually impossible during the long days of the summer months.

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/476754/jewish/Approved-Dates-for-a-Wedding.htm#:~:text=Shabbat: Wedding ceremonies are not allowed on Shabbat,,for the wedding whatsoever may begin until nightfall.
What are some of the reasons why your congregation is against weddings on Shabbat?

shabbat shalom :cool:

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What are some of the reasons why your congregation is against weddings on Shabbat?

shabbat shalom

Shabbat shalom.

I only heard one reason. It is that the Shabbat is set apart for YHWH. That was reason enough for me not to question further. The speaker also said not to marry on the Moedim Shabbats.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd tend to feel the same way as you all. It's just such a huge amount of work, I wouldn't want to go along with planning it.

It's one thing when there is an ox in the ditch. Planned stuff is a totally different situation. The older I get the easier it is to appreciate the "ceasing" part of the Sabbath gift we've been given!

Upvote 0