+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Pete Harcoff said:
No, that's even worse than adding a music loop (since usually the user has the option of turning off the music, but not the sound effects).

The only time sound effects for mousing over menu items are useful is if the people visiting the site have visual impairments. The audio cue will help them find menu items.

Which is exactly why music and sound effects on web sites (unless necessary or applicable to the site) is usually a bad idea. Usually when I come across a site with a sound or music, I get the feeling they are compensating for lack of content.

Hmm, I don't know if you'll want to hear this, but I like the original better. While it could use improvement (such as getting rid of those moving bars and also making the menu links appear all the time, instead of when mousing over them), the over all colour scheme is more soothing and the text is easier to read.
Gee you don’t need to harp on it. I only raised the possibility and even said it was still iffy for this site. I’m not pressing for music loops.
I do think the site needs some sound though. Role-over sounds are pretty tame IMO. People that like sound go “Ahhhh!” and people who don’t like sound don’t notice it so much really.

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
Durelen said:
Gee you don’t need to harp on it. I only raised the possibility and even said it was still iffy for this site. I’m not pressing for music loops.
I do think the site needs some sound though. Role-over sounds are pretty tame IMO. People that like sound go “Ahhhh!” and people who don’t like sound don’t notice it so much really.
Please, not sound effects. I have a motherboard sound card (I know, I know, it's horrible) and if I accidentally get multiple sound inputs at once I can crash a sound program. All that requires is a music file, a flash sound, and a little windows beep at the same time :p

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ThePhoenix said:
Please, not sound effects. I have a motherboard sound card (I know, I know, it's horrible) and if I accidentally get multiple sound inputs at once I can crash a sound program. All that requires is a music file, a flash sound, and a little windows beep at the same time :p
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told people not to get those kinds of boards. Sounds more like your board has some serious problem.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Durelen said:

I'm not saying you are and those comments weren't directed towards you.

It's just that music/sound effects is one of my biggest peeves when it comes to web sites. I just feel strongly about it, is all. :)

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
ThePhoenix said:

That definitely sounds like something is wrong with your board/drivers. One of my systems is running with audio built-in to the MB, and I've never had a problem.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

ScottEmerson said:
Thanks for your help. I understand about the colour scheme questions, but the kids are fans of it, since those are the "official" colors of the ministry. I may lighten some things up to see how that looks.

What would you think about some small sound loops that would go off when highlighting a menu option, or perhaps a "Swoosh" when the main pages come in.
if you do, make the default off, and the option to turn it on. I suggest something really obvious to do this, like a little icon of a megaphone in the corner.
What green/black combo are you talking about, Jet?
sorry about that, my work computer sucks. basically it was taking the dark green, and making it look dark green by dithering lighter green and black pixels. it looks better now I am at home on a decent computer ;)
Anyway, if any of you would like to compare this outing with my last, just go to http://www.fiveseventeen.org/ to see the "original" page.
which version of flash are you using there? you might benefit from using some of the snap-to features to get those boxes lines up. remember that you can reposition a selected object usign the arrow keys as well.... this is really useful for moving things so thez are an exact number of pixels away (shift+arrow key moves the object by several pixels at once)

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
Durelen said:
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told people not to get those kinds of boards. Sounds more like your board has some serious problem.
Tell me about it. I'm limited to Windows media player because Winamp isn't working any more. I need a soundblaster badly.

Upvote 0