The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Was church shopping last year and I visited one that was very popular. Non-denominational and in a brand new facility in a shopping mall.

The design and interior was very "modern". Coffee shop inside, bookstore, lots of brushed aluminum and other artsy touches.

Went to the "worship center" and noticed I was one of maybe 3-4 people that actually had Bibles. None were available in the seats.

During the lengthy and professionally produced worship concert, I noticed several men wearing ball caps. Normally, in larger congregations I've been in, there is occasionally a guy wearing a ball cap. No big deal. He's probably a visitor, or just doesn't know proper etiquette. This congregation, however, was smaller; maybe 150 people, and probably around 10 guys were wearing hats.

OK... It's a popular church so maybe there are typically lots of visitors... Then, the time came for the offering. 4 of the 6 men that got up to collect the offering were wearing various ball caps; truck brand logos, sports team logos, etc. These were obviously members of this church.

I realize that at 46yrs old, I am an old fart... I'm also former military. So that may well be why I found wearing a hat in church so off putting.

I suppose at this rate, I'm going to also start finding anything other than hymns and organ music distasteful as well, Lol...

I went to the church a couple of more times and decided not to attend it. It wasn't because of the members wearing hats inside church, but rather because the pastor's sermons were reminiscent of the prosperity gospel types. He also cited one or maybe two Bible verses during his entire sermon; I prefer much more Biblical referencing.

But, I was surprised by just how much the whole hat thing bothered me...

Is the wearing of ball caps in church becoming more popular and accepted in your churches?

Reactions: Noxot

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol I was so used to dressing up on sunday, men in suits and then we went to Toronto, the Toronto blessing. One guy preached in denim. I didn't know what I saw. Everybody was wearing something casual.
Since I'm divorced I go casual too. I couldn't care less about baseball caps. We have two guys in church, they always had a baseball cap when they were 16, 18 or something. No problem, that was cool.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟840,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Every church I've been to has been very 'come as you are'. As long as you aren't improperly dressed, we should open the doors to all people without fighting about clothing, suit and tie, hats, etc. This is one thing my first pastor was adamant about. When he took over a church, they would fight about everything. When two deacons came to him about a tree and fighting over who it belonged to, etc, he had the thing ripped out of the ground. Or when they were fighting over a piano and where it was to place, it upped and disappeared.

He has a lot of biker rallies and community events. One year, a group of bikers got lost and went to the wrong church and they kicked the bikers out because they weren't wearing a suit and tie. Is that a message the church should really be sending to the outside world? That our churches are only an inclusive club with a dress code and we fight over petty issues?

I never grew up in the church, so I was never taught not to wear hats, it's improper, etc. I used to wear hats all the time to church. And though I stopped, I don't understand how it's improper. Going to a church building is not the real church. We are the real church. Singing music on Sunday morning isn't worship, it's how we live our lives. There's no difference in singing worship at the church building than there is in the car on the way to work or the beach.

I just don't see how focusing on a dress code is biblical or improper to God. He is not offended if you wear a hat or shorts.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess the pastor didn't want to remind the congregation of Paul's instructions, perhaps because it might offend the women:

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man (1 Corinthians 11:5-7)

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't think we teach boys that wearing hats inside is bad etiquette anymore. I personally don't think God cares what we wear if our hearts are truly focused on him....OR if we are just seeking Him.

Is the Jewish yamaka against 1 Cor 11:5-7? ... did Biblical times men not wear them? I never thought about it and don't know when this became a Jewish tradition.

My husband used to hate to take off his ball cap because of "hat hair". He wore it most times to keep the sun off his face when he was outside (also most of the time)....and later to keep his head warm when he was undergoing chemo.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I guess the pastor didn't want to remind the congregation of Paul's instructions, perhaps because it might offend the women:

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man (1 Corinthians 11:5-7)

Out of curiousity....does your wife wear a head covering to church? Do you require this as spiritual head of your family?

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Only women can wear baseball caps and cowboyhats in church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To chime in or not to chime in?...that is the question.

I think I'll just say that I hold the unpopular and 'old fashioned', if you will, opinion on this subject. And as for men wearing their ballcaps (or any hat) - absolutely not. There's a reason that men remove their hats at funerals or during funeral processions, it is a gesture out of respect for the dead. If you can remove your hat for a dead person, then you can certainly remove it in church in reverence for being in the house of God. ...In the very least, call it 'good manners'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟840,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think I'll just say that I hold the unpopular and 'old fashioned', if you will, opinion on this subject. And as men wearing their ballcaps (or any hat) - absolutely not. There's a reason that men remove their hats at funerals or during funeral processions, it is a gesture out of respect for the dead. If you can remove your hat for a dead person, then you can certainly remove it in church in reverence for being in the house of God. ...In the very least, call it 'good manners'.
I can agree with that. I do it now out of manners, especially when it's time to pray.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Women wear hats and coverings men dont..well, thats what I think is proper.

If it bothers you, find a different church.
I havent noticed men wearing baseball caps in churches I frequent, but then, I dont live in america, home to baseball and cowboys.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think it is just changes in the culture
this used to be an accepted norm, men do not wear hats inside, but our culture is becoming more permissive in many ways

I do not wear a hat indoors
my parents were super old fashioned and I have anachronistic manners

women can wear hats or head coverings in church
one parish I go to has several young women who wear chapel veils :)

I do not want to sound like a snob... but one of the churches close to where I live is in a poor area, I notice I am more likely to see men in ballcaps when I attend Mass there

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I grew up in a church that was very strict with dress code. You MUST wear your "Sunday Best", which means you're going to be sweating and uncomfortable the whole time. Not exactly the best way to be when you're trying to focus on what is being said.

I visited another local church, and was shocked (in a very good way) at all the people wearing jeans and band t-shirts. I wasn't wearing my "Sunday Best" when I visited, I was wearing some nice pants and a clean work shirt (versus a dress, I don't remember any woman wearing pants at my old church), but compared to a lot of others I was overdressed.

I really loved that environment, and actually talked to several people about it while I was there. Less focus on yourself and others, more focus on the message. I loved it.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to love wearing baseball caps, I wore them a lot during high school and occasionally during college as well. I would wear caps to youth group events and such or chapel in college, but would remove them for prayers. I never wore them to church services. In my tradition, it's not so much required, but the norm to wear nicer clothes to Sunday morning service. Baseball caps are too casual for Sunday morning service, though you'd occasionally see a cowboy hat (cowboy hats and boots are considered to be dressy apparel in Texas).

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟906,875.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I think I'll just say that I hold the unpopular and 'old fashioned', if you will, opinion on this subject. And as for men wearing their ballcaps (or any hat) - absolutely not. There's a reason that men remove their hats at funerals or during funeral processions, it is a gesture out of respect for the dead. If you can remove your hat for a dead person, then you can certainly remove it in church in reverence for being in the house of God. ...In the very least, call it 'good manners'.

Exactly. It's like an interview -- Part of it is tradition that you dress prim and proper, the other part is presenting yourself well to those who host you.

I can't think of anywhere more appropriate to try and present myself well than church.

Does God care? Probably not. But it's a personal thing. I personally am not comfortable with the idea of dressing down for church.

Upvote 0