✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
Good day, all.

I was thinking about people going more sustainable in the world, eating more organic & vegan foods, when naturally, I thought, "Hey, animals eat food, too!"

And so I was inspired to give my pets organic homemade and vegan food.

I have a ferret,

Ferret Homemade Diet: Canned wild fish, cooked with a little chopped organic vegetables and organic oils. (Ferrets are physiologically and exclusively carnivorous).

I thought more people should be doing things like this.

I saw this product and I know dogs eat it:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/halos-garden-of-vegan-dog-food

I already have ideas for making organic and vegan pet foods, homemade:
Nutritious, Organic, Homemade Pet Kibble: Wheat*, barley*, beans*, lentils*, tofu*, seeds*, nuts*, oil*, berries*.
(*Organic)

Add a little wild fish to encourage fussy eaters.

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The issue I see in this (depending on the animal) is some (like cats) are carnivores and require meat as they can only get some needed nutrition from meat. I am not familiar with ferrets though. Moving to vegan diets for felines would be most unhealthy and for the animal though.

Here is some info on this: Vegetarian and Vegan Diets for Dogs and Cats

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Totodile386
Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day, all.

I was thinking about people going more sustainable in the world, eating more organic & vegan foods, when naturally, I thought, "Hey, animals eat food, too!"

And so I was inspired to give my pets organic homemade and vegan food.

I have a ferret,

Ferret Homemade Diet: Canned wild fish, cooked with a little chopped organic vegetables and organic oils. (Ferrets are physiologically and exclusively carnivorous).

I thought more people should be doing things like this.

I saw this product and I know dogs eat it:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/halos-garden-of-vegan-dog-food

I already have ideas for making organic and vegan pet foods, homemade:
Nutritious, Organic, Homemade Pet Kibble: Wheat*, barley*, beans*, lentils*, tofu*, seeds*, nuts*, oil*, berries*.
(*Organic)

Add a little wild fish to encourage fussy eaters.

Where does that "wild fish" come from? How many tons of fuel are consumed to catch it and get it to you?

• Agree
Reactions: Totodile386
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I make my cat's food. It's called the BARF diet - bones and raw food. Some supplements are added as well. I've been doing 50% of his diet this way for 2 months, and he's never been healthier. His coat, once dull, is slinky since I upped the fish oil in the formula. It's actually a little cheaper than canned food, but it takes time to make.

Upvote 0

Totodile386

Foreigner, Vegan, Pesticide-Free
Jul 24, 2020
Canada
✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
The issue I see in this (depending on the animal) is some (like cats) are carnivores and require meat as they can only get some needed nutrition from meat. I am not familiar with ferrets though. Moving to vegan diets for felines would be most unhealthy and for the animal though.

Here is some info on this: Vegetarian and Vegan Diets for Dogs and Cats

In God's perfect, original life, there was no death, loss, evil, rot, or decay.

But the daevil deceived humanity, as well as nature, into going the wrong way. Humanity isn't perfect, nor is nature. -- Do you think cats get mauled by bears in Paradise? Nay, I say. :priest:

That said, it is already evident some animals are very stubborn, and will only eat flesh. I fed my ferret seeds, once, and his poop was covered in undigested seeds. This is hard evidence. :ebil:

Yet that said, I'm highly confident my ferret will be eating vegan in Paradise with the rest of us. ^_^

For it is said,

"The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den. They shall not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain; for the land shall be full of the knowledge of Yahweh as the waters cover the sea." -- Isaiah 11:6-9

But unlike with ferrets, there is much contradictory evidence surrounding the ability of cats to eat vegan.

This is where humanity is seriously humbled. It is said,

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "One catches the wise in their craftiness";" -- 1 Cornithians 3:19

and,

"For in much wisdom is much vexation, and one who increases knowledge increases sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18

Everyone has been getting away with the phrase "obligate carnivore". We now know dogs to be fully capable of living full, healthy lives on a vegan diet. Did you know people, however, widely considered dogs to be so-called "obligate carnivores" until as recently as the 1980s or later? Indeed, the son of man today still call dogs "obligate carnivores".

For ferrets, this is more applicable, yet ferrets could still theoretically eat synthetic meat if someone could make it.

For dogs, humanity was humbled.

For cats, apparently, we don't know. There was a case of an actual lion that lived vegetarian some time ago: Little Tyke: The True Story of a Vegetarian Lion .

Consider that lion, though. Given all we know about bodily nutrition in this nanotech era, perhaps we could get more "vegan lions", and much better and complete than before, but again, we simply don't know.

That said, "obligate carnivore" isn't an invincible phrase. God said,

"And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each human being, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of another human being." -- Genesis 9:5

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Halo makes high quality food for dogs and cats, I feed my two dogs their food. They only use organic and raised/made in the USA product. They do not use bone or animal "meal" in their food.

That said, I admire people's convictions and efforts if they choose to be vegan or vegetarian. However, I do not agree with imposing those life choices on others, especially animals that are genetically not vegan or vegetarian. Maybe use it to supplement their diet, but not as a primary. The product is produced to serve a market - vegans and vegetarians that also want animals. There is a market for it, clearly, but I am not sure it is the best approach.

*disclosure, I have a family member that works there.

Upvote 0

Totodile386

Jul 24, 2020
Canada
✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
Halo makes high quality food for dogs and cats, I feed my two dogs their food. They only use organic and raised/made in the USA product. They do not use bone or animal "meal" in their food.

That said, I admire people's convictions and efforts if they choose to be vegan or vegetarian. However, I do not agree with imposing those life choices on others, especially animals that are genetically not vegan or vegetarian. Maybe use it to supplement their diet, but not as a primary. The product is produced to serve a market - vegans and vegetarians that also want animals. There is a market for it, clearly, but I am not sure it is the best approach.

*disclosure, I have a family member that works there.
Of this I'm aware.

Science should make synthetic meat for carnivorous pets. I know I would buy it, assuming the price wasn't insane. :oldthumbsup:

Where does that "wild fish" come from? How many tons of fuel are consumed to catch it and get it to you?
I already agree.

Fish is consumptive, but so is regular meat. I fed my ferret grass-fed, organic beef before, yet it still didn't feel as right as feeding him fish, in some respects.

Jesus fed people fish in his life, and fish are, perceivedly, lower in intelligence than, say, swine and cows. Swine and cows can be geniuses! :|

That's not to say fish are brainless. In fact, if you ever go to an aquarium, particularly one with saltwater fish, you'll see that fish can also be very intelligent. :angel:

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of this I'm aware.

Science should make synthetic meat for carnivorous pets. I know I would buy it, assuming the price wasn't insane. :oldthumbsup:

I already agree.

Fish is consumptive, but so is regular meat. I fed my ferret grass-fed, organic beef before, yet it still didn't feel as right as feeding him fish, in some respects.

Jesus fed people fish in his life, and fish are, perceivedly, lower in intelligence than, say, swine and cows. Swine and cows can be geniuses!

How much fossil fuel did Christ expend? Oh, that's right! He did it without expending fossil fuels. Okay, so only use fish obtained and shipped WITHOUT THE USE OF ANY FOSSIL FUEL!

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of this I'm aware.

So, the expenditure of non-renewable resources in the creation of this "synthetic meat" means nothing, right?

Upvote 0

Totodile386

Jul 24, 2020
Canada
✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
So, the expenditure of non-renewable resources in the creation of this "synthetic meat" means nothing, right?

How much fossil fuel did Christ expend? Oh, that's right! He did it without expending fossil fuels. Okay, so only use fish obtained and shipped WITHOUT THE USE OF ANY FOSSIL FUEL!

I already agree.

However, as great as the notion seems that we should do nothing but live and depend on a perfectly sustainable, Christian infrastructure, we are lost sheep!

The food we eat? -- Stained with bloody pesticides unless you actively avoid them.
The clothes we wear?? -- Same, and far more difficult to avoid.

This:

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep! Seek your servant, for I do not forget Thy Commandments." -- Psalms 119:176

And,

"Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of Me, for it is written: I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered." -- Matthew 26:31

So we can do nothing but fear our God. :bow:

Unless God leads us to this drastic action, we cannot simply abandon our pets, houses, communities, and lives to do this! Not without serious guidance! Our pets and our homes are as our babies. :crosseo:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I already agree.

However, as great as the notion seems that we should do nothing but live and depend on a perfectly sustainable, Christian infrastructure, we are lost sheep!

The food we eat? -- Stained with bloody pesticides unless you actively avoid them.
The clothes we wear?? -- Same, and far more difficult to avoid.

This:

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep! Seek your servant, for I do not forget Thy Commandments." -- Psalms 119:176

And,

"Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of Me, for it is written: I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered." -- Matthew 26:31

So we can do nothing but fear our God. :bow:

Unless God leads us to this drastic action, we cannot simply abandon our pets, houses, communities, and lives to do this! Not without serious guidance! Our pets and our homes are as our babies. :crosseo:

So, obviously, therefore, keeping a pet of ANY SORT AT ALL (unless perhaps, a pet rock) is just another way to sin? Get rid of the pets and stop having any.

Upvote 0

Totodile386

Jul 24, 2020
Canada
✟16,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Celibate
So, obviously, therefore, keeping a pet of ANY SORT AT ALL (unless perhaps, a pet rock) is just another way to sin? Get rid of the pets and stop having any.
Get rid of a pet? Much easier said than done.
What do we do, hand it off to a shelter, where it will be homeless and fed bottom-grade fare? A home is a better home for it.
Kill it? Far be it!

We don't have a lot of options. People just aren't as faithful with animals as us.

Upvote 0