We have a right to rights we don't have, right?

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, so you want to talk illegal aliens. So you're saying 6.8 M people is not a lot of people?

BTW, that's census data, normally an undercount.

Yes. I am saying 6.8M is not a lot of people when you put the measurements into the appropriate context. You're falling prey to a basic human information processing bias: the inability to put large numbers into context (btw: this is the same problem people have in comprehending space science as well--the sheer size of space is mentally daunting. This isn't a dig but rather a note about the human's ability to deal with large numbers).

In the context of the uninsured population, 6.8M is approximately 1.5 out of every 10 even by Politifact's article (and they're less than trustworthy as things stand). Quite frankly, this is not the "a lot" implied by the poster I originally was responding to. The implication of that comment was that illegals made up a sizeable fraction of the uninsured, which it is clear...they do not. In case it's not clear, I don't count 1.5 out of 10 as sizeable.

Upvote 0

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you need to take perhaps some basic reading comprehension. "A lot" means "a lot". Not "most", not even "a plurality".

Then "a lot" means nothing because it's too vague to have any real meaning. Because we're talking about specific things, you need to have concrete definitions that everyone agrees on; otherwise arguments are open to broad interpretation.

Again, I'll question something I think is on the same par: you're saying we have to collectively fund the medical care for non-citizens as well as citizens? Why isn't 28% the more concerning percentage? After all, we're paying all this money for people who are here, but not citizens, and as a percentage are not paying the medical load they're putting on the system. That is the more concerning issue for me.

And how do you propose enforcing this? By fining non-citizens? What'll that accomplish? Not much. And they'll still report to the same hospitals when in medical need.

That is a separate argument from what I was stating. The original comment was that it was better for the "Free Market" to handle health insurance. That comment begs the question of "If the Free Market is so good at handling healthcare insurance, why are there 47M uninsured people in the US?"

You're asking "What should we do about the insured?" That could be considered a "Next Step" question. My question (rhetorical as it was) was more about understanding the current state as well as making a point that the Free Market (TM) is not an efficient delivery mechanism for Health Insurance.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so you want to talk illegal aliens. So you're saying 6.8 M people is not a lot of people?

BTW, that's census data, normally an undercount.

Actually, I'm intentionally not making claims about such nebulous terms as "a lot."

The original post seemed to read as a dismissal of the uninsured as 'those that don't want it and illegals"

Well, even if he manages to argue that only 85% of the uninsured are legal residents who actually want insurance, that's still upwards of 40 million uninsured.

If 6.8 M is a lot, 40 M is a whole lot.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally Posted by A2SG
Nowhere in that story did Matthews, or anyone, say birth control, free or otherwise, was an inalienable right.
And since nowhere did I claim he did, why would you type something like that?

Ah, back to this game, I see.

I already did that. In fact, my original post ASKS that very thing of individuals. Or maybe you think Christian Forum members are not individuals. Pay attention.

I never said it was.

I never said it did. Why are you telling me obvious stuff that can easily be verified, and which no one is disputing?

Wrong again. I had asked if those who believe that free birth control is a right, also believed it to be an inalienable right. No one who believes that answered.

Actually, most of the rest of my post is me replying to your erroneous comment that I had said that advocates of this so-called right believe it to be inalieanable. You made that blunder at least six times. I called you on it. You naturally can't reply, since you obviously cannot copy and paste anything from me making that claim. If you feel insulted by my bringing up this failure of yours, I apologize.

More of the same.

Always nice talking to you, Stig.

-- A2SG, thank you for reminding me why I shouldn't....

Upvote 0