We are not to hurt anyone for any reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others

Jesus personally told me that we were not to hurt anyone for any reason.

The written Word of God tells us the same thing.

(Matthew 5:44) “But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;”

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance

When God tells us something it is very dangerous to ignore what he says. Right?

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

(Matthew 5:44) “But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;”

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance

When God tells us something it is very dangerous to ignore what he says. Right?

Those in the military have to hurt people often times, as they may need to kill.

police likewise as to killing, and sometimes hurting as well.

and such as with trades as above.

but otherwise, yeah, I don't think we should hurt anyone.

And no, it is not dangerous to ignore what Jesus says, it is fairly not wise to, but is not dangerous, unless the matter has to do with safety to self or others.

If I'm on the streets and I call someone a name, they may beat me up.

If I ram my car into anothers, I will get thrown in jail more than likely.

etc.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Those in the military have to hurt people often times, as they may need to kill.

police likewise as to killing, and sometimes hurting as well.

and such as with trades as above.

but otherwise, yeah, I don't think we should hurt anyone.

And no, it is not dangerous to ignore what Jesus says, it is fairly not wise to, but is not dangerous, unless the matter has to do with safety to self or others.

If I'm on the streets and I call someone a name, they may beat me up.

If I ram my car into anothers, I will get thrown in jail more than likely.

etc.
The danger of disobeying God is the loss of one’s soul. You should see that a Christian isn’t part of the world, and should never be in the world’s army or police force.

Upvote 0

divided sky

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Northeastern U.S.
✟2,065.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Okay, if we're not to hurt anyone for any reason, how are people to defend themselves when attacked? If a person breaks into my house and starts hurting my family and I have a gun, I shouldn't shoot him? Even if I don't have a gun, should I just stand by and watch and not try to defend my family (meaning with physical force)?

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In the Beatitudes, Jesus tells us "blessed are the peacemakers" (Matt. 5:9). Elsewhere in the Sermon on the Mount he tells us "if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also" (Matt. 5:39). From such verses you have apparently concluded that Christianity is a pacifist religion and that violence is never permitted.

But the same Jesus elsewhere acknowledges the legitimate use of force, telling the apostles, "let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one" (Luke 22:36).

So, how are these passages to be reconciled?

In broad terms, Christians must not love violence. They must promote peace whenever possible and be slow to resort to the use of arms. But they must not be afraid to do so when it is called for. Evil must not be allowed to remain unchecked.

Added weight is given to this realization when one recognizes that Scripture -- all of Scripture -- is inspired by God (2 Tim. 3:16). This means that the Old Testament is just as inspired as the New Testament and thus an expression of the will of Christ.

The Old Testament acknowledges frankly that there is "a time to kill" (Eccles. 3:3). At various times in the Old Testament, God commanded the Israelites to defend their nation by force of arms. Yet it was always with the recognition that peace is the goal to be worked for. Thus the psalmist exclaims, "how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!" (Ps. 133:1). Peace is the goal, but when it cannot be achieved without force, force must be used.

In the same way, the New Testament sets forth the goal of peace but acknowledges the legitimate use of force. It does so by John the Baptist's acknowledgment that Roman soldiers, whose job it was to enforce the Pax Romana, or "Peace of Rome," could keep their jobs (Luke 3:14) and by Paul's observation that the state "does not bear the sword in vain" but is "God's servant for your good" (Rom. 13:4).

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The danger of disobeying God is the loss of one’s soul. You should see that a Christian isn’t part of the world, and should never be in the world’s army or police force.

May be for you, but not for me. The soul bit I mean..

I am saved, sealed, by the Holy Spirit, scripture says so, and forgiven all sin present past and future, same scripture says so in that is implied as without being forgiven as stated above, the guarantee wouldn't have been able to be given, tho it is given.

ephesians 1:13-15 said:
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption (salavtion) of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

Sorry to hear you have no regard as well as consider non christian for those who because of you are safe at this very moment. fairly sad.

Not sure where in the bible God has removed us from this world, he has not. We are not to be like the world, but we live in the world nonetheless.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
May be for you, but not for me. The soul bit I mean..

I am saved, sealed, by the Holy Spirit, scripture says so, and forgiven all sin present past and future, same scripture says so in that is implied as without being forgiven as stated above, the guarantee wouldn't have been able to be given, tho it is given.

Sorry to hear you have no regard as well as consider non christian for those who because of you are safe at this very moment. fairly sad.

Not sure where in the bible God has removed us from this world, he has not. We are not to be like the world, but we live in the world nonetheless.
Sorry this thread isn’t about Kelvin’s mistake that once one is saved always saved.

(John 15:18-19) “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me before you. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you do not belong to the world because my choice withdrew you from the world.”

(John 17:14) “I passed your word on to them, and the world hated them, because they belong to the world no more than I belong to the world.”

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry this thread isn’t about Kelvin’s mistake that once one is saved always saved.

(John 15:18-19) “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me before you. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you do not belong to the world because my choice withdrew you from the world.”

(John 17:14) “I passed your word on to them, and the world hated them, because they belong to the world no more than I belong to the world.”

you made it about such as you said one loses their soul..

so it's a your problem and not mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
In the Beatitudes, Jesus tells us "blessed are the peacemakers" (Matt. 5:9). Elsewhere in the Sermon on the Mount he tells us "if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also" (Matt. 5:39). From such verses you have apparently concluded that Christianity is a pacifist religion and that violence is never permitted.

But the same Jesus elsewhere acknowledges the legitimate use of force, telling the apostles, "let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one" (Luke 22:36).
You use that passage to discredit all that Jesus and Paul said about killing. Why do you think Jesus said that’s enough when he was told they had two swords? Would two swords be enough to defend all the disciples? I don’t believe there are any serious theologians who would ever agree with your interpretation.

So, how are these passages to be reconciled?

In broad terms, Christians must not love violence. They must promote peace whenever possible and be slow to resort to the use of arms. But they must not be afraid to do so when it is called for. Evil must not be allowed to remain unchecked.

Added weight is given to this realization when one recognizes that Scripture -- all of Scripture -- is inspired by God (2 Tim. 3:16). This means that the Old Testament is just as inspired as the New Testament and thus an expression of the will of Christ.
Jesus addressed the Old Testament teachings when he said: (Matthew 5:43-44) “You have learnt how it was said, you must love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” And, (Matthew 5:17) “Do not imagine that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have come not to abolish but to complete them. I tell you solemnly, till heaven and earth disappear, not one dot, not one little stroke, shall disappear from the Law until its purpose is achieved.”

The Old Testament acknowledges frankly that there is "a time to kill" (Eccles. 3:3). At various times in the Old Testament, God commanded the Israelites to defend their nation by force of arms. Yet it was always with the recognition that peace is the goal to be worked for. Thus the psalmist exclaims, "how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!" (Ps. 133:1). Peace is the goal, but when it cannot be achieved without force, force must be used.

In the same way, the New Testament sets forth the goal of peace but acknowledges the legitimate use of force. It does so by John the Baptist's acknowledgment that Roman soldiers, whose job it was to enforce the Pax Romana, or "Peace of Rome," could keep their jobs (Luke 3:14) and by Paul's observation that the state "does not bear the sword in vain" but is "God's servant for your good" (Rom. 13:4).
You should have notice that John was still under the Old Testament Law.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
tho above reply is to another

you should notice the verse given where God says to obey authority, for he is one who has put it over us.
Yes what you haven’t noticed is: (Acts 4:19-20) “You must judge whether in God’s eyes it is right to listen to you and not to God. We cannot promise to stop proclaiming what we have seen and heard.”

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Okay, if we're not to hurt anyone for any reason, how are people to defend themselves when attacked? If a person breaks into my house and starts hurting my family and I have a gun, I shouldn't shoot him? Even if I don't have a gun, should I just stand by and watch and not try to defend my family (meaning with physical force)?
That is right we are to obey Jesus. Jesus also told us: (Luke 6:30-35) “Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your property back from the man who robs you. Treat others, as you would like them to treat you. If you love those who love you, what thanks can you expect? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what thanks can you expect? For even sinners do that much. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive what thanks can you expect? Even sinners lend to sinners to get back the same amount. Instead, love your enemies and do good, and lend without any hope of return. You will have a great reward, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes what you haven’t noticed is:(Acts 4:19-20) “You must judge whether in God’s eyes it is right to listen to you and not to God. We cannot promise to stop proclaiming what we have seen and heard.”

Not sure how that relates to anything.

God says obey authorities, you say not! (military etc,)

You further say any doing such loses their soul. No where is that in the bible, and again, God says obey authroritys, and not only that, has put them there for us.

So if you would like to explain your quote above, I don't know what you mean by it.

Are you saying okay for you to speak but I can't?

or something else.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is right we are to obey Jesus. Jesus also told us:(Luke 6:30-35) “Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your property back from the man who robs you. Treat others, as you would like them to treat you. If you love those who love you, what thanks can you expect? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what thanks can you expect? For even sinners do that much. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive what thanks can you expect? Even sinners lend to sinners to get back the same amount. Instead, love your enemies and do good, and lend without any hope of return. You will have a great reward, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.

ok, so someone comes in your house and tries to hurt your child and that's okay. It's okay for someone to hurt your wife. I take it you're going to say, please stop, my God says i have to turn the other cheek so I'm going to sit on the couch and watch while you do so, and while you hurt my grandchild and wife, so please stop as I can't do anything about it.

and if in public, a child is getting beat up by an adult, that's okay, because it's wrong for you to try to stop that guy, which would be by force and violence.

if a woman is being robbed of something in public, you can't seek to help there either, because would require you to use violence..correct?

Upvote 0

divided sky

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
Northeastern U.S.
✟2,065.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is right we are to obey Jesus. Jesus also told us:(Luke 6:30-35) “Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your property back from the man who robs you. Treat others, as you would like them to treat you. If you love those who love you, what thanks can you expect? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what thanks can you expect? For even sinners do that much. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive what thanks can you expect? Even sinners lend to sinners to get back the same amount. Instead, love your enemies and do good, and lend without any hope of return. You will have a great reward, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.

That's very extreme and cold hearted. I cannot fathom a person standing by doing nothing while watching loved ones being hurt. Obviously, most people would not want to be in any situation where they'd have to use physical force but unfortunately it has to be done at times.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
That's very extreme and cold hearted. I cannot fathom a person standing by doing nothing while watching loved ones being hurt. Obviously, most people would not want to be in any situation where they'd have to use physical force but unfortunately it has to be done at times.
No! Our duty is to obey God. If God wants us to live we will live. If we are to die then we will die. Like in the prayer "Our Father" his will be done. This life is a testing ground, how long we are here doesn’t matter.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
ok, so someone comes in your house and tries to hurt your child and that's okay. It's okay for someone to hurt your wife. I take it you're going to say, please stop, my God says i have to turn the other cheek so I'm going to sit on the couch and watch while you do so, and while you hurt my grandchild and wife, so please stop as I can't do anything about it.

and if in public, a child is getting beat up by an adult, that's okay, because it's wrong for you to try to stop that guy, which would be by force and violence.

if a woman is being robbed of something in public, you can't seek to help there either, because would require you to use violence..correct?
When I shared with my wife that Jesus told me we were not to hurt anyone for any reason her reaction was much as yours. She asked me if someone came into our house and was going to rape her, what would I do? I told her that I would not hurt him. She angrily left the room. I didn’t discuss it with her any more. My job isn’t to convince anyone of anything. I knew though, that she would go to Jesus and ask him if I was right. She did and came back and told me she would not want me to hurt him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.