WATCH: Rioters In California Tear Down Religious Statue Of Father Junipero Serra

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm so tired of our (Catholics/conservatives) inaction over this. It's like we're letting these demons come into our house and rape our families and doing nothing about it but impotently watch.

Rioters in California destroyed a statue of Father Junipero Serra (not the same one featured in the photo above) on Friday at Golden Gate Park, which comes as far-left activists have engaged in the destruction of monuments across the U.S. for the last couple of weeks.

WATCH: Rioters In California Tear Down Religious Statue Of Father Junipero Serra

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you know this priest's history? Native Americans have been asking for this statue to be removed from public space for a few years that I know of and I don't blame them. Not just this priest but the Catholic church, in general, has an appalling history with Native American people.

Calls to remove Serra statue in front of Ventura City Hall grow
We have Native American Saints, too, and priests, and religious. Abuses happened, but so did many, many genuine conversions, vocations, and miracles, too. Everyone needs to be evangelized, Hank. Europeans needed the Gospel, too, and parts of Europe were hard to get through to.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you know this priest's history? Native Americans have been asking for this statue to be removed from public space for a few years that I know of and I don't blame them. Not just this priest but the Catholic church, in general, has an appalling history with Native American people.

I doubt the rioters had a clue as to who the statue was and what the historical significance was.

My question is, did they simply tear down a statue or the symbol of Christianity? The cross.

• Agree
Reactions: PeterDona
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have Native American Saints, too, and priests, and religious. Abuses happened, but so did many, many genuine conversions, vocations, and miracles, too. Everyone needs to be evangelized, Hank. Europeans needed the Gospel, too, and parts of Europe were hard to get through to.
I agree with everything you said. But how we go about it makes a big difference.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I doubt the rioters had a clue as to who the statue was and what the historical significance was.

My question is, did they simply tear down a statue or the symbol of Christianity? The cross.
Did you read the article, if not then don't ask me questions.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This man brought the Gospel to the Native people without causing harm.

David Brainerd (April 20, 1718 – October 9, 1747) was an American missionary to the Native Americans who had a particularly fruitful ministry among the Delaware Indians of New Jersey. During his short life he was beset by many difficulties.
Born: April 20, 1718, Haddam
Died: October 9, 1747
Profession: Missionary
David Brainerd - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm so tired of our (Catholics/conservatives) inaction over this. It's like we're letting these demons come into our house and rape our families and doing nothing about it but impotently watch.

It was inevitable. The lights are going out all over the world. That they are going out too in California ain't no shock. But it is outrageous. They WILL be burning churches gleefully any day now.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I know this priest's history. The attempts to destroy his memory are shameful.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know this priest's history. The attempts to destroy his memory are shameful.
The Native Americans have been asking to have it Removed from the public space maybe someone should have listened.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Serra is one of the good guys of history, as his biography by Omer Englebert shows.

If the protest was about how evil Serra was, why were the statues of Ulysses Grant and Francis Scott Key also toppled? Why was the Cervantes statue vandalized? These vandals are every bit the mob the original Vandas were who sacked Rome in 455 AD.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

If you believe that then you've bought into a lie. Saint Junípero Serra fought back against the Spanish for their mistreatment of Natives.

Serra: Protector of Native Americans - San Buenaventura Mission
Newest saint, Junipero Serra, Francis says, protected Native Americans

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Native Americans have been asking to have it Removed from the public space maybe someone should have listened.
There is a statue of Junipero Serra in the Capitol in Washington DC. Even before the city is renamed to no longer be Washington and no longer named the District of Columbia, Joe Biden will undoubtedly want to pull that one over too. And eventually all of the other statues in the capital will be vandalized too. Just because. These people are destroyers. We are on the cusp of a new dark age and it's all OK for the burners and the looters and the topplers to do their thing? Because Floyd? Because it was Juneteenth?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a statue of Junipero Serra in the Capitol in Washington DC. Even before the city is renamed to no longer be Washington and no longer named the District of Columbia, Joe Biden will undoubtedly want to pull that one over too. And eventually all of the other statues in the capital will be vandalized too. Just because. These people are destroyers. We are on the cusp of a new dark age and it's all OK for the burners and the looters and the topplers to do their thing? Because Floyd? Because it was Juneteenth?
What are you dumping on me? I focused on one issue, why and where the Native Americans wanted the statue taken down in the public space.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What are you dumping on me? I focused on one issue, why and where the Native Americans wanted the statue taken down in the public space.
You dumped on Junipero Serra, who isn't here to defend himself. He's not the evil dude you seem convinced he is.

I am watching as statues of some good people are toppled in the madness of sending everything down the memory hole. And watching as their actions get approval from otherwise normal people. This is on the way to getting out of control. A vandal who topples a statue today will burn a building tomorrow and blow up city hall next week, right after they destroy the water lines. The Vandals did that in Rome in 455 AD, pulling down the aquaducts. How much of this are you willing to be an apologist for?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The revolutions that I'm acquainted with only stopped with either a terrible massacre, or with holocausts.
In both cases, innocent people were either slaughtered, or were caught in the crossfire of opposing forces.

Even peaceful revolutions end up the same way; innocent people caught between opposing forces.

Upvote 0