Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just a question: how can this be an evolutionary dead end, when both bees and wasps are contemporary animals?

If this particular species, from the time when bees and wasps were differentiating died out and did not leave contemporary descendents. There would have been other species to come out of the differentiation period that would have led seperately to bees and wasps.

Upvote 0

Kahalachan

Eidolon Hunter
Jan 5, 2006
✟8,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Piece of cake. All things started out as a kind. Maybe this is close to the first bee kind. No probs.
Define kind.

Anyone can cop out and say "Oh this fossil is the same kind as an animal we have today"

What phylogenic features distinguish between kinds?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Define kind.

Anyone can cop out and say "Oh this fossil is the same kind as an animal we have today"

What phylogenic features distinguish between kinds?
"Father Jacobus (from Hesse's Magister Ludi):
To study history one must know in advance that one is attempting something fundamentally impossible, yet necessary and highly important. To study history means submitting to chaos and nevertheless retaining faith in order and meaning. It is a very serious task, young man, and possibly a tragic one."
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/clad/clad4.html

"phylogenetics (Greek: phylon = tribe, race and genetikos = relative to birth, from genesis = birth) is the study of evolutionary relatedness among various groups of organisms (e.g., species, populations). Also known as phylogenetic systematics, phylogenetics treats a species as a group of lineage-connected individuals over time."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogenetics

So, your features under the mindset of "phylogenic features" mean you think I ought to TREAT species as if they are connected over time. That is not established in ANY way, and the topic of debate. We do not assume the position in a two way relationship, that just the one party thinks ought to be assumed!

I would assume that a kind is close to what a child might assume it would be. In other words, an elephant, ought to be some sort of elephant, a horse some kind of horse, etc. And there is no reason to assume they are not!

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would assume that a kind is close to what a child might assume it would be. In other words, an elephant, ought to be some sort of elephant, a horse some kind of horse, etc. And there is no reason to assume they are not!
[/INDENT]

I am happy to see you admit that your understanding is like that of a child.

Proverbs 1:22
"How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?"

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am happy to see you admit that your understanding is like that of a child.

Proverbs 1:22
"How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?"
It is not so called science and knowledge that this refers to. No greater wisdom exists than in heaven, and you have to become as a child to get there.
But it is amusing to see atheists having no ammo on the kind issue, and resorting to the bible for some sort of comfort.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is not so called science and knowledge that this refers to. No greater wisdom exists than in heaven, and you have to become as a child to get there.
But it is amusing to see atheists having no ammo on the kind issue, and resorting to the bible for some sort of comfort.

The bible is my ammo. Fundies like you scorn learning and put ignorance on a pedestal. But this is Not what the bible says.

1 Peter 2:15
"For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men"

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The bible is my ammo. Fundies like you scorn learning and put ignorance on a pedestal. But this is Not what the bible says.

1 Peter 2:15
"For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men"
As a point of interest, that is talking about putting foolish men to silence by our good works, not by disbelieving Jesus and the bible, in the accounts of the flood, and creation! I have to tell you these things??

Upvote 0