Was "The Rock" Actually Known as The Gates of Hell in The Ancient World?

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Dr. Heiser was recently diagnosed with cancer please pray for him.

Dr. Heiser brings up some excellent points concerning the geography of the Caesarea Philippi / Grotto of Pan. "When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi" the early church would have made the connection to, "upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

His explanation makes perfect sense.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Dr. Heiser brings up some excellent points concerning the geography of the Caesarea Philippi / Grotto of Pan. "When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi" the early church would have made the connection to, "upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Yours in the Lord,

jm

That sounds very reasonable. I'd definitely go with that if I were you guys. :)

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yours in the Lord,

jm
French archaeologists dug up the ancient Canaanite city of Ugarit in Syria. They found a library of cuneiform tablets with stories about El and Baal. It reminded people of the rivalries between El worshipers and Baal worshippers in the Bible.
https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/cana/hd_cana.htm

El was supposed to be the chief god.
El | Semitic deity

A temple of Baal was found at Ugarit.
Baal with Thunderbolt - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Stephen Ray did a good talk on this subject after he visited the site of Caesarea Phillippi. The site was named after Herod the Great's son, Philip II, who changed the name from Paneas and made it his administrative capitol. On the top of the cliff overlooking the Gates of Hell, Herod the Great had built a new temple to the Roman God, Apollo. So as the apostles looked at this cliff, they could see both the old religion of Baal worshipers and the Gates of Hell and on top of that the new pagan temple of Apollo. Jesus' words about building a new church and overcoming the Gates of Hell had three related meanings, the overthrow of the Baal worshippers and the sacrifices they performed there, the overthrow of the new pagan Roman religions, and the building of a new church based on the Rock. I will leave it there and not venture into debate about the meaning of Rock. The geography suggests at least one literal meaning in the cliff.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Stephen Ray did a good talk on this subject after he visited the site of Caesarea Phillippi. The site was named after Herod the Great's son, Philip II, who changed the name from Paneas and made it his administrative capitol. On the top of the cliff overlooking the Gates of Hell, Herod the Great had built a new temple to the Roman God, Apollo. So as the apostles looked at this cliff, they could see both the old religion of Baal worshipers and the Gates of Hell and on top of that the new pagan temple of Apollo. Jesus' words about building a new church and overcoming the Gates of Hell had three related meanings, the overthrow of the Baal worshippers and the sacrifices they performed there, the overthrow of the new pagan Roman religions, and the building of a new church based on the Rock. I will leave it there and not venture into debate about the meaning of Rock. The geography suggests at least one literal meaning in the cliff.
I own Upon this Rock by Ray.

Reactions: tz620q
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fascinating! Below is one of many depictions of an ancient icon called the harrowing of hell. In it Christ at His resurrection has knocked down the gates of hell and is raising Adam and Eve from the dead. Below are broken locks, chains and keys, and Satan/Baal/Death hogtied.

159475497_08b17010e1_n.jpg

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Fascinating! Below is one of many depictions of an ancient icon called the harrowing of hell. In it Christ at His resurrection has knocked down the gates of hell and is raising Adam and Eve from the dead. Below are broken locks, chains and keys, and Satan/Baal/Death hogtied.

159475497_08b17010e1_n.jpg

Indeed, it is very interesting. I had no idea that place existed, so this thread has been extremely enlightening for me.

Also, that is a particularly beautiful icon, and I strongly believe in the doctrine of the Harrowing of Hell.

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0