Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The separation of church and state was for that primary purpose, so government could not dictate and control their religio (Catholic, Protestant denomination or other), not the other way around like many believe

No...that isn't true. While Separation does protect the church from the government, it also protects the government from the church. If it is tyrannous for the government to dictate how the church should run its business, why is it not tyrannous for the church to run the government?
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doubt seems to be the worst thing for you to be able to handle.
I had hundreds of doubts and misunderstanding 21 years ago, but God resolved just about all of them. Once I became a Christian, I never doubted God, just brought into the relationship preconceived notions, but as He guided me, I sorted them out and grew in knowledge of the Lord.
Doubts are Satans ideas and messages passed down from others to us. he whispers in our hears doubts all the time and we must choose between what is truth and what isn't. I've handled doubts, everyone has them and each one is resolved in time.

It is understandable. Usually I find that people who are members of particularly fundamentalist of evangelical sects have little appreciation of history of the faith.
History wasn't something I valued much before I was a Christian, then it mattered and I was hungry to learn. That was part of the change in perspective.

There is a distinct anti-intellectualism in the Christian Faith today.
I don't agree. I believe knowledge and wisdom begin with the fear of God. Stephen Hawkings is intelligent but not wise, knowledgable but his thoughts will end in futility. I do believe in every word of the Bible. "He who says there is no God is a fool!" Including my Dad and my brother unfortunately. My Mom is lost on her own throne as well. But I love them.
Rush is pretty intelligent!;) A thorn in the Democrats side as well!

But it's also bolstered by adherents who think their narrow view of the world is the only one out there.
I am narrow ... but I have company too! Jesus said, “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it." Matt. 7:13

So what is the "cutoff" for "misunderstanding" you mentioned just a paragraph ago?
I've already stated what it is, a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ, once you have that, then He will help you sort out the rest.
Which heretics will make it into heaven
I don't know. I would have been considered a heretic if I lived hundreds of years ago, based on my particular disbelief in one specific traditional doctrine.

Which Gospel?
I already stated what the gospel is: "Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the
Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures," 1 Cor. 15:1-4

Then what do you think about the man who wrote:

"In fact, the Athanasian paradox that one is three, and three but one, is so incomprehensible to the human mind, that no candid man can say he has any idea of it, and how can he believe what presents no idea? He who thinks he does, only deceives himself."

"The hocus-pocus phantasm of a God like another Cerberus, with one body and three heads, had its birth and growth in the blood of thousands and thousands of martyrs."

"I confidently expect that the present generation will see Unitarianism become the general religion of the United States. "

Because that man was one of the founding fathers....and he largely wrote the Declaration of Independence.

Many people do not grasp the Trinity and Thomas Jefferson is one. He may have been brilliant as a statesman but not so spiritually mature and knowledgable concerning biblical interpretation. I don't fault him though, so what. He wrote a book about Jesus as a great moral teacher but excluded miracles. He was more than a moral teacher, that's not quite it Thomas! That is a misinterpretation and misunderstanding of who He is and I would draw the line there. He can't have faith in a mere man and his teachings and expect it to amount to salvation. Obviously he did not believe that Jesus was God in the flesh. Only God can take away the sins of the world and hence, his faith lacked that belief!
Do you think your faith is so much like his?
NO! I will say that God used him to do what he did.
I always kind of hope that Christians know where their faith's ideas come from. But usually I'm met with a brick wall.
Dah, they come from the Bible, not contrived ideas of men in history. God entered my world directly through the WORD. My parents weren't believers so it wasn't past down to me

But do you ever wonder why some churches (yours possibly) say the Nicene Creed?
Traditionally they want it to be fundamentally cemented. Redundancy is a good teacher.

Ever wonder where the idea of the Trinity comes from?
NO, I know!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

Many people do not grasp the Trinity and Thomas Jefferson is one.

But you stated that you thought that the faith of our Founding Fathers who founded this "Christian Nation" was like yours.

I should think Trinitarianism would be kind of crucial.

Dah, they come from the Bible, not contrived ideas of men in history.

That's the spirit! Only the history of the church indicates that many things were developed as orthodoxy over time. Some gospels fell by the wayside and some concepts had nebulous beginnings.

Since I kind of like the Trinity discussion point I'm fascinated that in the Textus Receptus as Erasmus originally translated it from the oldest manuscripts he could get ahold of at the time, he found no reason to include the "Johannine Comma" which is a favorite "proof" of the trinitarian idea.

It wasn't until the Church was forced to provide him with an original manuscript that he put it in.

The relationship between Jesus and God is nebulous at best in the Bible and firmed up over time through orthodoxy development.

That's why I mentioned Arius and other heretics. The homouisiousness of Jesus and God were early details of the development of the faith.

It is quite fascinating to see how people "evolved" these ideas.

Traditionally they want it to be fundamentally cemented. Redundancy is a good teacher.

But the Creed was initially developed in order to hammer home the ORTHODOXY. The FIrst Council of Nicaea was convened in the 4th century AD (nearly 300 years after Christ's death) to deal with a number of issues, not the least of which was the Arian Heresy which felt that Jesus was neither co-eternal or divine, just a perfect creature.

The fact that you say the Nicene Creed today comes from this Council nearly 3 centuries after Christ's life. It solidifies the "homouisiousness" of Christ and God.

This is absolutely fascinating! This seems a pretty important point and still under debate three centuries after Christ's death? To blow past where the ideas come from and how they are developed is to miss a lot of the fascinating stuff about Christianity.

NO, I know!

Yes, I'm sure you do.

Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

How could America be a "Christian Nation" when the people who proclaim it as such have so little actual knowledge of the history or development of Christian thought?

And if some Founding Fathers such as Jefferson had developed, through significant thought and analysis, a varying view from what is now common among the modern fundamentalists who so proclaim the nation a "Christian Nation", what does it even mean to be a "Christian Nation".

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But you stated that you thought that the faith of our Founding Fathers who founded this "Christian Nation" was like yours.
Yes, most were Christians, the rest were confused about what they believed or didn't.
I should think Trinitarianism would be kind of crucial.
Again, it is not easily understood, but not a prerequisite to salvation.

That's the spirit! Only the history of the church indicates that many things were developed as orthodoxy over time.
Since it takes a lifetime of study and guidance by the Holy Spirit to understand the Bible and even then, not fully or completely, it's understandable that they labored and disputed over doctrines.

Since I kind of like the Trinity discussion point I'm fascinated that in the Textus Receptus as Erasmus originally translated it from the oldest manuscripts he could get ahold of at the time, he found no reason to include the "Johannine Comma" which is a favorite "proof" of the trinitarian idea.
Don't need Erasmus to understand the Bible, we don't need any teachers. We have the Holy Spirit.

The relationship between Jesus and God is nebulous
A nebulous faith leads to a nebulous understanding of God.

It is quite fascinating to see how people "evolved" these ideas.
The ideas came from God, they didn't evolve!

"For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty" 2 Pet.1:16

This seems a pretty important point and still under debate three centuries after Christ's death?
The Nicene Creed brought clarity to Jesus as God in the flesh and the Trinity, but it wasn't due to ideas contrived or evolved, they just understood what was already written better.

Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

Yes, most were Christians, the rest were confused about what they believed or didn't.

So "confused" as they were, they were still able to set up a "Christian Nation"?

Since it takes a lifetime of study and guidance by the Holy Spirit to understand the Bible and even then, not fully or completely, it's understandable that they labored and disputed over doctrines.

Or, playing atheist here, it could be that humans have been making Christianity up over time.

Just a thought. Since clearly there were many competing ideas of "Christianity" during the early years after Christ died. From a rationalist perspective it would make sense that a centralized dogma would have to arise and evolve and ultimately compete against other nascent dogmas.

But that's an unbeliever's view.

Don't need Erasmus to understand the Bible, we don't need any teachers. We have the Holy Spirit.

Actually I disagree with the no need for Erasmus to understand the Bible. Since it was due to much of the work of folks like Erasmus to better clarify and bring together the older manuscripts which then informed quite a bit of later translations into English (such as the KJV), one could fairly say that Erasmus was needed.

Unless of course you have copies of all the old Greek manuscripts. Is that what your church goes off of? Or does it rely on the KJV? Erasmus' work was often referenced in the development of the King James Version.

Again, the history of the faith is, in my humble opinion, very important to know. And I fully understand why it is among the least important for believers. The history of how you got the faith you have is kind of like "sausage". One doesn't like to see it made but one likes the end product.

The Bible itself is a construct of later generations. Even the 4 Gospels were written long after Jesus life.

As a non-believer I'm not invested in maintaining a belief anymore, so it opens up fresh views of the faith.

Christianity, when viewed from its history, looks all too human to me.

A nebulous faith leads to a nebulous understanding of God.

This is precisely why generations upon generations of the Church had to hash out the relationship. Again, why else were there so many different versions? Arianism, adoptionism, manichaeism, etc etc.

The history of how you wound up with the faith you wish to call "foundational" is built on the work, thought and efforts of countless generations after Jesus time.

The ideas came from God, they didn't evolve!

Again, is that why there were so many competing versions of Christianity during it's early years? Remember, even Paul had differences with the Jerusalem Church. And who would have been more in the "know" about the mind of Jesus? Those who were ostensibly around him (Peter)? Or Paul who never met Jesus in the flesh?

The Nicene Creed brought clarity to Jesus as God in the flesh and the Trinity, but it wasn't due to ideas contrived or evolved, they just understood what was already written better.

So why would God's truth be so hard that it took almost 300 years to puzzle out?

What, specifically, was "already written" to bolster the ideas behind the Nicene Creed?

Arius and his followers referenced John 14:28 among their points. ("The father is greater than I").

The nature of the debate is less important than the fact that there was a debate in the first place.

Who is to say which view was right? And why would there not be just one Christological heresy but multiple ones?

The early history of the Faith is one of development, of competing ideas. And yes of enforcement of particular ideas over others by command.

Arius' heresy was "anathematized". And later other heresies were suppressed.

Something like the Waldensians. These heretics were slaughtered. 80 were burned at the stake in Strassbourg. Others were burned in Toulouse. Was God unwilling to open some eyes such that it required lighting the heretics on fire until they DIED for the "misunderstanding" to be clarified?

You see, as a non-believer I see a process by which the "market place of ideas" was not necessarily clearly outlined for all to see. In fact it looks almost exactly like what one would expect when people try to interpret the writings of other people about things that cannot be externally verified.

So when I hear someone declare this to be a "Christian Nation" I wonder what they mean. Do they mean their specific doctrine? Or is it merely just that everyone who was involved in founding this simply "believed" in some form of Jesus.

If the bar is set so low as to mere "belief" in some form of Christianity and Christianity is itself the result of millenia of work by people to "make" it (understand it, read it "correctly", "translate it", etc.) then I wonder what it means to be a "Christian Nation".

(NOTE: I am fascinated that you don't speak in any substantive terms about the actual history of the church or the history of church thought. It tends to reinforce my general impression that many modern Chrisitans have little understanding of the history of their faith. In a sense, from the outside, it appears to be the faith of little children. But that seems to be precisely what is needed for belief: a giving up of anything that might appear to be critical assessment.)

Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

A sad loss for the Christian Church:

Over the past several years I've been fortunate enough to get to travel quite a bit to Europe. One of the first places I go in any given town I work in is the closest Medieval cathedral.

Yup, an atheist who runs as fast as possible at his first opportunity to a Cathedral when visiting far away places. When in Finland I found a great cathedral in the western half of the country. I found my way to a small church that was supposedly built by "giants". I found my way to the Russian Orthodox cathedral in Helsinki. In Maastricht I found St Servatius cathedral. When I hit Paris I bee-lined it for Notre Dame. I was overjoyed when I found St-Denis Basilica.

I can't get enough of them. Why? For a number of reasons:

1. Tangible history of people. Their beliefs were amazingly strong and they built these lasting monuments that dwarf anything around them.

2. History of the Church. I love the history of the Church. It has all the aspects of a great drama...like a giant multimillenial episode of "Law and Order". Intellectual pursuit, human foibles, "greater ideals", philosophy and debate

3. Beauty. These buildings are some of the most stunning things built.

When walking through a Medieval Cathedral I realize that while many of the workmen and villagers who worked and lived around the Cathedral were uneducated or at best only mechanically skilled, the Church itself represented amazing works of thought and philosophy. The symbolism carved into a Gothic Cathedral is amazing. The paintings and artwork. The statuary.

The thing I think that is lost in modern Christianity is a sense of intellectual pursuit. I believe it was in Koln Germany in the amazing Cathedral there I saw a great painting of Thomas Aquinas, the "Angelic Doctor". The basics of Philosophy 101 "arguments" for the existence of God...how many come from Aquinas? How about Anselm? The Ontological Argument is a fascinating bit of thought!

The writings of people who valued the "mind" enough to try to apply it with utmost care to the service of the FAITH. That's inspiring.

Something else I realize is an all-too-human attribute of mine is I like the "majesty" of the Cathedrals. If I were going to be a believer it would be bolstered by "majesty".

But I'm also a humanist and I realize that diverting wealth away from real need in service to a "faith" is probably a poor idea. And that is something that I can actually kind of understand in modern fundamentalists.

For them the spiritual is the most important part. And that's probably how it should be. But I find fundamentalists churches to be sad and stirring in me nothing. The worst part of a purely "spiritual" endeavor is that somehow, we in America, have turned it into a "mental exercise" devoid of a love of the intellect.

I'm not saying that fundamentalists don't have a certain "philosophy" that obviously requires some thought. I just find that modern day Christianity seems to live in the moment, the present. No appreciation of the past and no rigor in the thought.

But that is just my 2 cents. The musings of an unbeliever.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Distinguish between God's permissive will, within which everything from Adam's fall to Hitler fits, and His perfect will, which is how everything would go if man did not often make unwise and immoral choices. That makes this question a lot easier to answer.

God's people have been making poor choices when it comes to politics, ever since the invention of politics, which was a bad choice to begin with. God opposed, but permitted, Israel to have a king. He opposed, but permitted, the sin of Israel that led to their being dominated by pagan empires over and over again.

And I have no doubt that he opposes, but permits, his Church to continue to pursue political power, using the sword of the state to make people "moral" and choosing between false gods who, following in the footsteps of Caesar, make promises that only God could ever fulfill.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So "confused" as they were, they were still able to set up a "Christian Nation"?
The majority were not, stop trying to twist things. Oh, that's what Democrats do. You pick out a few out of many and even those few believed in the God of the Bible. Thankfully no atheists were allowed to be a part of government to make decisions ... and even today, are there any politicians in the U.S. that are atheists? Only about 9% of Americans hold that view. You are a minority.

Or, playing atheist here, it could be that humans have been making Christianity up over time.
Says 9% of the people. Actually your opinion is weak. You couldn't get many people out there to agree with you. It must be frustrating? Going against the God who has guided man through history to this point. Well, you have Satan and his demons on your side -- he's pretty influencial!

Actually I disagree with the no need for Erasmus to understand the Bible.
Whatever clerical tasks God used him for that were necessary, I don't have a problem with that, just not theological interpretation. I don't anyone to teach me other than the Holy Spirit.
Again, the history of the faith is, in my humble opinion, very important to know. And I fully understand why it is among the least important for believers. The history of how you got the faith you have is kind of like "sausage"
Theological sausage is not good. I eat pure spiritual food untainted by human hands.
The Bible itself is a construct of later generations. Even the 4 Gospels were written long after Jesus life.
30 years of study? Anyone can learn that isn't true in 1. Most of the Bible was finished by the late 60's A.D. witht he exception of Revelation at about 95 A.D.
The history of how you wound up with the faith you wish to call "foundational" is built on the work, thought and efforts of countless generations after Jesus time.
No it is not, you still don't get it after 30 years. You still think it's all derived from human efforts. It's a gift and God orchestrated the time and place. It's all supernatural, a divine appoint. Humility and repentance. You probably don't know what those terms mean though since you keep refering to works, tasks, history, evolution, bla, bla, bla. You can't intellectualize the path to God.
It's a gift!

Please don't take any offense, but I think it's time I move on and brush the dirt off my sandals.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Whatever clerical tasks God used him for that were necessary, I don't have a problem with that, just not theological interpretation. I don't anyone to teach me other than the Holy Spirit.

Well, that explains your mistakes.

30 years of study? Anyone can learn that isn't true in 1. Most of the Bible was finished by the late 60's A.D. witht he exception of Revelation at about 95 A.D.

And at least 3 of the four Gospels -- Mark's the only one that's almost certainly before AD 70 -- the other three are up in the air.

Matthew's most likely dates range from AD 65-75; and the rest aren't even close.

Might want to fact check with the Holy Spirit on that one...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.