Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word "saved" in the Bible is polysemantic. Judas was temporarily saved in the sense that he was a chosen disciple of Jesus. However, Judas never had eternal life in him, John 6:

68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”
70 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!” 71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)
Judas was a devil even when he was a disciple with Jesus, John 17:

12 "While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled."
NIV, Matthew 26:

24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”
Jesus knew Judas would never repent.

They found a replacement for Judas, Acts 1:

24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”
Judas did not belong to heaven.

Was Judas Iscariot saved?

No, not for eternal life.

TahitiRun

Feb 18, 2023
Atlantic Coast
✟11,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The word "saved" in the Bible is polysemantic. Judas was temporarily saved in the sense that he was a chosen disciple of Jesus. However, Judas never had eternal life in him, John 6:

NIV, Matthew 26:

I believe Judas is now, or will be, saved and enter into eternal life for the following reasons:

The soul of Judas was and is owned by God (Eze 18:4). Jesus tells us that God is not the God of the dead but of the living, for all live to Him (Luk 20:38). Judas will live to God, for all live to Him, and this includes Judas.

Paul tells us that Judas, as well as all things, were created in Christ and unto or for Christ (Col 1:16, Gk text). The very being of Judas is held together and consists in Christ (Col 1:17). Paul further tells us that all, including Judas, live, move and have their being in Him (Act 17:28), and all are His offspring (Act 17:28-29). This testimony of Paul is universal in scope and application and includes all human beings, such as sinners, the faithless, reprobates, blasphemers, traitors, betrayers and deniers, workers of iniquity, sodomites, friends of Judas and Judas too. Not simply some, but rather all, including pagans that worship unknown gods (Act 17:23). The term all includes Judas.

Jesus tells us that He hand picked Judas (Luk 6:13) to betray Him (Joh 6:71) as the lost son of perdition (Joh 17:12). Jesus also tells us that He came to save the "lost" (Luk 19:10), a title given to Judas by Christ. Jesus calls Judas the lost "son of perdition" (Joh 17:12), a title Judas was also given to fulfill scripture.

Judas simply did what he was ordained to do (Luk 22:3, Joh 13:27), and Judas did so according to the flesh (Rom 8:5-8).

Regarding Judas and Mat 26:24: The text does not say "better for him had he never been born", as you quoted it, but rather "καλὸν ἦν αὐτῷ εἰ οὐκ ἐγεννήθη ὁ ἄνθρωπος ἐκεῖνος", translated as: "better would it be for him if not had been born that man".

The emphasis of Mat 26:24 is not regarding the birth of Judas, per se, but rather with respect to what God had ordained Judas to do. It would have been better for Judas not to have been born "that man". It would have been better for Judas had he not been ordained by God to betray Jesus. That is what the text in Mat 26:24 actually says.

Regarding Eternal Life and Judas: Paul tells us that Christ justifies the ungodly (Rom 4:5), a description that Judas certainly meets. Judas was justified to life in Christ, by Christ's one act of righteousness for him (Rom 5:18).

Paul tells us that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself (2Co 5:18). Judas certainly meets that criteria too (Joh 17:12). Judas was reconciled to God, in Christ.

Again, Judas was created in and for Christ (Col 1:16), in-order that God will be all in all (1Co 15:28). All means all and includes all of Christ's enemies, Judas himself being subdued and made subject to Christ also (1Co 15:25-28).

As for Judas being unable to repent. Judas' death accomplished his repentance, that is his "change of mind". When the soul is divided at death (ie: body from spirit), the mind of the flesh (death) returns to dust (it perishes by destruction) and the mind of the spirit (life and peace) returns to God, (Ecc 12:7 and Rom 8:6).

Regarding Act 1:25: The scriptures tell us that Judas went to his own place (Act 1:25). Solomon tells us where that place is, here:

Ecc 12:5 they are afraid also of what is high, and terrors are in the way; the almond tree blossoms, the grasshopper drags itself along and desire fails; because man goes to his eternal home, and the mourners go about the streets;
Ecc 12:6 before the silver cord is snapped, or the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher is broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern,
Ecc 12:7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Judas' eternal home is, and always will be, with God in Christ according to the spirit, and as dust that returns to the earth, according to the flesh.

And not only, I also believe that Judas will confess that Christ is his Lord (and do so in the Holy Spirit) to the glory of God the Father (Php 2:10-11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe Judas is now, or will be, saved and enter into eternal life for the following reasons:

The soul of Judas was and is owned by God (Eze 18:4). Jesus tells us that God is not the God of the dead but of the living, for all live to Him (Luk 20:38). Judas will live to God, for all live to Him, and this includes Judas.

Paul tells us that Judas, as well as all things, were created in Christ and unto or for Christ (Col 1:16, Gk text). The very being of Judas is held together and consists in Christ (Col 1:17). Paul further tells us that all, including Judas, live, move and have their being in Him (Act 17:28), and all are His offspring (Act 17:28-29). This testimony of Paul is universal in scope and application and includes all human beings, such as sinners, the faithless, reprobates, blasphemers, traitors, betrayers and deniers, workers of iniquity, sodomites, friends of Judas and Judas too. Not simply some, but rather all, including pagans that worship unknown gods (Act 17:23). The term all includes Judas.

Jesus tells us that He hand picked Judas (Luk 6:13) to betray Him (Joh 6:71) as the lost son of perdition (Joh 17:12). Jesus also tells us that He came to save the "lost" (Luk 19:10), a title given to Judas by Christ. Jesus calls Judas the lost "son of perdition" (Joh 17:12), a title Judas was also given to fulfill scripture.

Judas simply did what he was ordained to do (Luk 22:3, Joh 13:27), and Judas did so according to the flesh (Rom 8:5-8).

Regarding Judas and Mat 26:24: The text does not say "better for him had he never been born", as you quoted it, but rather "καλὸν ἦν αὐτῷ εἰ οὐκ ἐγεννήθη ὁ ἄνθρωπος ἐκεῖνος", translated as: "better would it be for him if not had been born that man".

The emphasis of Mat 26:24 is not regarding the birth of Judas, per se, but rather with respect to what God had ordained Judas to do. It would have been better for Judas not to have been born "that man". It would have been better for Judas had he not been ordained by God to betray Jesus. That is what the text in Mat 26:24 actually says.

Regarding Eternal Life and Judas: Paul tells us that Christ justifies the ungodly (Rom 4:5), a description that Judas certainly meets. Judas was justified to life in Christ, by Christ's one act of righteousness for him (Rom 5:18).

Paul tells us that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself (2Co 5:18). Judas certainly meets that criteria too (Joh 17:12). Judas was reconciled to God, in Christ.

Again, Judas was created in and for Christ (Col 1:16), in-order that God will be all in all (1Co 15:28). All means all and includes all of Christ's enemies, Judas himself being subdued and made subject to Christ also (1Co 15:25-28).

As for Judas being unable to repent. Judas' death accomplished his repentance, that is his "change of mind". When the soul is divided at death (ie: body from spirit), the mind of the flesh (death) returns to dust (it perishes by destruction) and the mind of the spirit (life and peace) returns to God, (Ecc 12:7 and Rom 8:6).

Regarding Act 1:25: The scriptures tell us that Judas went to his own place (Act 1:25). Solomon tells us where that place is, here:

Ecc 12:5 they are afraid also of what is high, and terrors are in the way; the almond tree blossoms, the grasshopper drags itself along and desire fails; because man goes to his eternal home, and the mourners go about the streets;
Ecc 12:6 before the silver cord is snapped, or the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher is broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern,
Ecc 12:7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Judas' eternal home is, and always will be, with God in Christ according to the spirit, and as dust that returns to the earth, according to the flesh.

And not only, I also believe that Judas will confess that Christ is his Lord (and do so in the Holy Spirit) to the glory of God the Father (Php 2:10-11).
Thanks for sharing. See If you think that Judas Iscariot will be resurrected to eternal life and wish to wager on it, and follow up there.

Upvote 0

TahitiRun

Feb 18, 2023
Atlantic Coast
✟11,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You're welcome. However, I would prefer to continue with my remarks in this thread. I don't believe scripture should be treated as a betting proposition for sinners to make wagers on. That's perhaps more suitable for carnival barkers and auctioneers in Vegas.

What I can share with you is what scripture tells me. Here is what I believe will happen to Judas:

Regarding the resurrection of Judas: Scripture tells us that the body of Judas was sown in corruption and will be raised in in-corruption (1Co 15:42). Judas was sown in dishonor and weakness, but his body will be raised in glory and power (1Co 15:43).

If you'll notice, the body of Judas is/was sown a "natural body" (ie: a body incorporating it's fleshly, carnal and natural nature derived from the earth, Gen 2:7). However, his body will be raised as a spiritual body (ie: a body without it's fleshly nature of the earth, 1Co 15:44).

Which takes us to the Judgment of Judas. Jesus tells a parable (Mat 25:31-46) to show us what takes place.

All "nations" (ie: the Kingdom's of the soul, both flesh and spirit) will be gathered before Him (Mat 25:32), including those of Judas. The heavenly nature of Judas (ie: the breath of God, the spirit of Judas) and Judas' earthly nature (the fleshly, natural and carnal nature) are separated from each other (not "divided" as they were in death, but rather "separated" for judgments (pl)).

Jesus separates the two natures of the soul (ie: man) like a shepherd separates the "sheep" and "goats" (metaphorically used for spirit and flesh, respectively). The sheep (spirit) are placed on His right hand, while the goats (flesh) are placed on His left hand. Each element of the soul is judged independently as being either "blessed" (Gen 1:28, Mat 25:34) or "cursed" (Gen 3:17, Mat 25:41), accordingly. The soul enters into eternal life according to the spirit (Mat 25:34) , while the flesh (death) enters into eternal destruction (Mat 25:41). Both elements of the soul receiving their due reward (Mat 25:46).

The wonderful thing about this judgment is that those, like Judas, who walk according to the flesh and fulfill it's lusts (Gal 5:19-21), will have Jesus remove it from them in Judgment by telling their flesh (that works iniquity) to "depart from me" (Mat 7:23). And in so doing, Jesus saves Judas according to the spirit. Paul gives an example of an unregenerate person, such as Judas, experiencing this type of judgment in 1Co 5:5.

Will it be painful for Judas? I believe so. There will be "weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth" (Mat 25:30) when the unprofitable servant (ie: the flesh, Joh 6:63) is cast out and perishes (Job 34:15).

The works of Judas (the "lost" son of perdition) will be tried and tested by fire and will ultimately perish as the name given to Judas, by Christ, tells us. But Judas, himself, will be saved (Luk 19:10), through fire (Gk: διὰ πυρός, 1Co 3:15).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

NIV, Matthew 26:

Mat 26:24 - The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe scripture should be treated as a betting proposition for sinners to make wagers on.
Right.

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a wager to mathematically and scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put money where your mouth is. If you are interested in mathematically finding out the strength of your belief, then tell me those two weights. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
However, Judas never had eternal life in him, John 6:
Everyone has their name written in the book of life. Their name has to be blotted out.

Mark 14 12 woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the references. To save the effort of your readers, this is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Give the source/citation.
  2. Provide the URL link to the source if available.
  3. Indent the quoted text.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  5. Be concise and to the point.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it here.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the references. To save the effort of your readers, this is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Give the source/citation. Fr. Alvine Kimel. Word Press
  2. Provide the URL link to the source if available. Provided. Click on the link.
  3. Indent the quoted text. Can't. It's a long blog piece. For the sake of brevity, I provide the link so that people can read.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. It's in the link.
  5. Be concise and to the point. Agreed. Really long posts are quite annoying. That's why I just gave the link.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it here.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Judas made his choice the wrong choice, he betrayed the son of GOD knowing very well who Jesus was.

will you also claim that satan will be saved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. I believe that if Judas had returned to Jesus, even after betraying Him, that he would have been forgiven, and on his profession of faith, saved. Instead, he demonstrated his unbelief by killing himself.

Contrast him with Peter, who denied that he knew Christ. Jesus predicted that his faith would even overcome his denial:

Luke 21:31-32 NIV

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”

Reactions: John G.
Upvote 0