Visit site
✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word "saved" in the Bible is ambiguous. Judas was temporarily saved in the sense that he was a chosen disciple of Jesus. However, Judas never had eternal life in him, John 6:
68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”
70 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!” 71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)

Judas was a devil even when he was a disciple with Jesus, John 17:
12 "While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled."

NIV, Matthew 26:
24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”
Jesus knew Judas would never repent.

They found a replacement for Judas, Acts 1:
24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”
Judas did not belong to heaven.

Was Judas Iscariot ever saved?

Yes, at one time, but no, not for eternal life.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Judas did a terrible thing, hence the harsh descriptions of him in the gospel of John. But he did regret it, almost immediately. And we're told that our Lord loves us and goes to search for his lost sheep when we stray off course. I'd say that we do not know Judas' eternal fate, whether Jesus was able to find and rescue this lost sheep.

• Agree
Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Judas did a terrible thing, hence the harsh descriptions of him in the gospel of John. But he did regret it, almost immediately. And we're told that our Lord loves us and goes to search for his lost sheep when we stray off course. I'd say that we do not know Judas' eternal fate, whether Jesus was able to find and rescue this lost sheep.
Let proposition P1 = Judas Iscariot will inherit eternal life on the new earth after resurrection.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Did you read the OP?
I did ....You concluded with............ "at one time, but no, not for eternal life".

How were sins forgiven under the Mosaic law ...and for how long? ....and were the sins qualified (excluding the unforgivable, which is not what Judas committed)

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did ....You concluded with............ "at one time, but no, not for eternal life".

How were sins forgiven under the Mosaic law ...and for how long? ....and were the sins qualified (excluding the unforgivable, which is not what Judas committed)
Let proposition P1 = Judas Iscariot will inherit eternal life on the new earth after resurrection.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

My numbers will be measures of strength-of-belief, or confidence, and they'll be estimates. They're NOT probabilities, because we don't have access to the kinds of statistical information that would give us genuine probabilities. Just in case that needs clarifying. Also, nothing is getting a weight of 10; there's almost nothing I know with complete certainty. Also, I'm going to assume that the gospel accounts are more-or-less accurate, as a precondition. (If I don't assume this, the numbers change.)

So, the propositions in my post:

P2 = Judas did a terrible thing: 8
P3 = Judas regretted his actions: 9
P4 = Jesus searches for and finds his lost "sheep" when we stray: 9

A proposition that I didn't state explicitly, but that is in my head as we discuss this:

P5 = Jesus is able to save even sinners: 9

There are other propositions we might bring into the discussion (most especially, are there sins so bad that the Good Shepherd just gives up and pushes that sheep off the cliff?), but P2-P4 above are the ones that I stated in my post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These Psalms apply to Judas that if you follow them through, no mercy was to be shown him

Psalm 109:7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned:

Mat 27:3a Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he **saw** that he **was condemned** repented himself, (divide this verse)

Psalm 109:11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath

Mat 27:3b and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders

Mat 23:25 ...for within they are full of extortion and excess.

After he brings the silver again he said...

Mat 27:4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood.

Deut 27:5 Cursed be he that taketh reward to slay an innocent person. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Psalm 109:12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him

Mat 5:27 And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

Psalm 109:8a.....Let his days be few.

Mat 27:5... Judas went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate,

Theres more but being condemned is shown in him and no mercy shown him just in these

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres a few more

Acts 1:16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before
concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

Acts 1:7 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

John 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

John 6:71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Mark 14:12 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed!
good were it for that man if he had never been born.

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost,
but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I'm not comfortable equating Bayesian probability with subjective anything. Bayes' Rule is useful for working with conditional probabilities, but underneath it there have to be genuine probabilities -- we count events, and conjunctions of events, and put them into a formula. I don't see how we have those numbers. "I feel pretty confident" isn't really a number. So, unless we have some actual numbers, actual conditional probabilities, I'll step away from the discussion.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then if you look at it this way, Paul says,

1Cr 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1Cr 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And we know that in John 12:6 Judas was a thief

And Paul goes onto say...

1Cr 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

And here Jesus said to them

John 13:10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

However, he continues about his comment "not all"

John 13:11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

And again, about the one who betrays him

Mat 26:24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.

I am actually copy pasting these (for the most part) from older posts that were made under the title "Brother Judas Iscariot" where there are some more (I was kinda colorful way back then so forgive me) Brother Judas Iscariot

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not comfortable equating Bayesian probability with subjective anything. Bayes' Rule is useful for working with conditional probabilities, but underneath it there have to be genuine probabilities -- we count events, and conjunctions of events, and put them into a formula. I don't see how we have those numbers. "I feel pretty confident" isn't really a number. So, unless we have some actual numbers, actual conditional probabilities, I'll step away from the discussion.
Sure. Do you know that it is commonly used in AI, decision theory, and stock trading bots?

Upvote 0