Was Jesus opposed to the main message of the OT?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I assume you mean it is why the Only Begotten Son and Word of God became incarnate, that is to say, why the second person of the Holy Trinity, God the Son, became man. But I disagree - the Summary of the Law, as recorded in the Synoptic Gospels, with particular elegance in the Gospel According to St. Matthew, Matthew 22:25-40 , is more than the Golden Rule:

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The first and greatest commandment is the "WHY!" part of the commandment and the second, (which is like it) is the "How" part. The two go together, "Why" and "How."

Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire
Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action | TED Talk

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, because aside from the fact that St. Paul was a Holy Apostle of Christ, inspired by the Holy Spirit, whose apostolate was accepted and recognized by the surviving members of the Twelve....

Originally they rejected his claims and protested.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Originally they rejected his claims and protested.

Not exactly - rather, his claims had to be tested, because extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. At any rate the ChristianForums Statement of Faith includes an affirmation of the authenticity of the Pauline apostolate.

The first and greatest commandment is the "WHY!" part of the commandment and the second, (which is like it) is the "How" part. The two go together, "Why" and "How."

While the two are connected, I don’t think the relationship can be simplified to why and how. Because while taking care of our neighbors and loving them as ourselves is a commandment, the first commandment requires us to worship God, and not all forms of worship are going to immediately benefit our neighbor in a corporeal capacity, although all forms of worship we conduct will help him spiritually.

My main criticism of the Salvation Army as a denomination is that they do not practice baptism or the Eucharist. What they do is important, but its not enough. The Anglo Catholics managed to do at least as much good for the poor of London as the Salvation Army, while worshipping in a more elaborate and difficult manner than other Anglicans, and being thrown into prison for wearing a chasuble (even though, as the great Anglo Catholic liberal Anglican liturgist Rev. Percy Dearmer pointed out in his classic Parson’s Handbook, this was legal according to a literal interpretation of the Ornaments Rubric and the Act of Uniformity).

Why are you linking me to a motivational speaker? And what business does a TED Talk have in a Christian discussion? I gave up on TED Talks when they moved away from Technology, Education and Design and started giving a platform to Deepak Chopra, who is the Mary Baker Eddy of our era.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not exactly - rather, his claims had to be tested, because extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Except that isn't part of the story.
Acts 18
2 Tim 1:15
2 Tim 4:16
Acts 15:36-40
Acts 15:39
2 Tim 4:10
While the two are connected, I don’t think the relationship can be simplified to why and how. Because while taking care of our neighbors and loving them as ourselves is a commandment, the first commandment requires us to worship God, and not all forms of worship are going to immediately benefit our neighbor in a corporeal capacity, although all forms of worship we conduct will help him spiritually.

Except you've invented brand new scripture commandments and added the word "Worship" to the first commandment. Are you writing a new book?

Mark 12:29
29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

The first command is "WHY" and the second command just like it is "How".

The Great Commandment
Matthew 22

34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.
39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Luke 6:31
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them

Luke 10:27
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

Luke 10:29
But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5:14
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

James 2:8
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

Romans 15:2
Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

Matthew 19:19
Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Galatians 6:10
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Romans 12:19
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Worship is an entirely different matter and is you fixing yourself.

Romans 12:1

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0